BLACK ORCS AT GNORBAL JUNGLE RUINS...
This is a brief walk through of how I go about building a vignette/diorama piece! Since I enjoy doing jungle theme/style pieces, I have selected this as a brief (WIP)...but I use the same process for (97%) of my other theme works...Any and all comments and feedback will be welcomed!

Featured here are;

1. Art draft (sketch) of what the piece will look like...
2. Standard ceiling tile that I use for (97%) of the pieces that I build...cut to size & edge beveled...
3. Ceiling tile with (3) wall areas denoted and jungle path cut into place...
4. Ceiling tile with (3) wall sections in place...walls have been painted...moss growth in place...posters fixed...
5/6/7. Shows the varied jungle plants created/constructed for jungle usage...shows (2) scratch built jungle snakes...shows (1) gorilla that will be in the thick jungle growth...
8. Shows (tree # 1)...built and ready for placement at marked location...
9. Shows (tree # 2)...nearly built and ready for placement at marked location...

[Image: WIP.001_zpsnvlejqaw.jpg]
[Image: WIP.002_zpswg2bqwfv.jpg]
[Image: WIP.003_zpskry35fld.jpg]
[Image: WIP.004_zpsqdustjfk.jpg]
[Image: WIP.006_zpsmkg7wsdr.jpg]
[Image: WIP.005_zpsnxrtiuji.jpg]
[Image: WIP.009_zpsl5fyinci.jpg]
[Image: WIP.008_zpslhm2f3to.jpg]
[Image: WIP.007_zps5noaaw3t.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes catdancer's post
This will be really interesting to see come together. I didn't even think of sculpting the ceiling tiles! What a nice texture they have.

Are they prone to warping when painting? They seem quite porous.
(02-22-2015, 04:44 PM)Caleb Wrote: This will be really interesting to see come together. I didn't even think of sculpting the ceiling tiles! What a nice texture they have.

Are they prone to warping when painting? They seem quite porous.

That is the wonderful thing about working with this type of ceiling tile...it is very easy to cut into the desired shape(s) that you desire! It is very easy to sculpt (cut in roads, paths, ditches, etc)....When the trees, ferns, ground cover is added...the area that you are working on is covered with white glue and the materials are attached (and let completely dry/harden)...the white glue adds strength to the ceiling tile.

I usually do not paint the ceiling tile base...since it is going to be 100% covered with ground cover!...Si I see no reason for painting it...unless you just want to!

In my case (the way I work)...I seal every (mm) of the piece/area/section that I am working on with super thin " hot stuff " (cyanoacrylate)...turning the surface into a (rock hard) piece...Once an entire board (like this is completed)...it is solid as a rock and there is no warping at all!...The only negative side/aspect to the way I work is the expense...I will use a full (8oz) bottle of hot stuff for a piece this size...and at $25.00 a bottle...it can add up.

Paul (Catdancer)
Looking forward to seeing more of this - especially like that you're posting WIPs Smile
(02-22-2015, 05:32 PM)catdancer Wrote: I will use a full (8oz) bottle of hot stuff for a piece this size...and at $25.00 a bottle...it can add up.

If you're tired of spending that per base, I would suggest "Sculpt Or Coat" or even epoxy as a cheaper alternative.
(02-22-2015, 06:55 PM)trollmeat Wrote: Looking forward to seeing more of this - especially like that you're posting WIPs Smile

trollmeat;

Thank you for your feedback...greatly appreciated!

I do have a question!

How do I continue this (WIP)?...Do I start another thread (titled part 2 & part 3)?...Or do I just continue to add postings to this original thread?

This is one of the processes that I have not yet figured out on this site!

Any simple information/answer(s) would be welcomed and appreciated!

Thank you.
(02-22-2015, 10:38 PM)Tob Wrote:
(02-22-2015, 05:32 PM)catdancer Wrote: I will use a full (8oz) bottle of hot stuff for a piece this size...and at $25.00 a bottle...it can add up.

If you're tired of spending that per base, I would suggest "Sculpt Or Coat" or even epoxy as a cheaper alternative.

I did not say that I was tired of the expense per board...what I said was that the process (the way I do it is more expensive...opposed to other ways of doing it)...thus my charges for commission works are usually higher!

I have used my process for over 2 decades...I see no reason to change!
You can just carry on with the WIP in this thread.

I'm working on a model boat and probably around $70 of CA glue has gone into it. I would be looking for alternatives if I was in your place. Then again... if the client is paying for it, why change?
Madness.
(02-23-2015, 12:36 AM)Caleb Wrote: You can just carry on with the WIP in this thread.

I'm working on a model boat and probably around $70 of CA glue has gone into it. I would be looking for alternatives if I was in your place. Then again... if the client is paying for it, why change?

Caleb;

Thanks for the answer to my question. I was worried that there was only a given/limited space if I kept posting to the original thread and that I would run out of space before I finished.

I always tell a client (right up front) that they could most liking find other model/diorama builders who would be less expensive for their project! My gamer clients are usually word of mouth persons and I show them a portfolio of past commission work(s) and allow them to decide. Many of my other commission work(s) have been for model shop promotions and architects needing special things built for their work(s).

I've built a few boats in my past...what kind of a boat are you building and in what scale?
[+] 1 user Likes catdancer's post