The Post With All The Scales
This is the answer to: what scale is this figure? how big should doors be? how tall is one storey?

...or most other questions that involve getting the scale sorted.

Ground Distance Scale / Terrain & Buildings / Six Foot Tall Objects ..... (like soldier figures...See Note A)
  • 1:2400 -- 1 inch equals 200 feet ----- 0.75 mm soldiers; 1 mm is 8 feet tall (B)
  • 1:1200 -- 1 inch equals 100 feet ----- 1.5 mm soldiers (C )
  • 1: 900 --- 1 inch equals 75 feet ------- 2 mm soldiers
  • 1: 600 --- 1 inch equals 50 feet ------- 3 mm soldiers
  • 1: 300 --- 1 inch equals 25 feet ------- 6 mm soldiers
  • 1: 275 --- 1 inch equals 22.92 feet --- 6.65  mm soldiers (D)
  • 1: 240 --- 1 inch equals 20 feet ------- 7.5 mm soldiers
  • 1: 225 --- 1 inch equals 18.75 feet --- 8 mm soldiers
  • 1: 180 --- 1 inch equals 15 feet ------- 10 mm soldier (E)
  • 1: 160 --- 1 inch equals 13.33 feet --- 11.25 mm soldiers (F)
  • 1: 150 --- 1 inch equals 12.5 feet ----- 12 mm soldiers
  • 1: 120 --- 1 inch equals 10 feet ------- 15 mm soldiers (G)
  • 1: 100 --- 1 inch equals 8 1/3 feet --- 18 mm soldiers
  • 1: 90 ----- 1 inch equals 7.5 feet ------ 20 mm soldiers
  • 1: 72 ----- 1 inch equals 6 feet -------- 25 mm soldiers
  • 1: 60 ----- 1 inch equals 5 feet -------- 30 mm soldiers (H)
  • 1: 48 ----- 1 inch equals 4 feet -------- 37.5 mm soldiers (J)
  • 1: 35 ----- 1 inch equals 2.92 feet ---- 51.4 mm soldiers (K)

Notes:

A. This list of scales attempts to be mathematically exact. It deliberately avoids and refuses to incorporate fudge factors of any kind, although these have been a common practice in the miniatures industry (and still are).
B. A naval wargaming scale.
C. Spartan's Dystopian Wars is nominally this scale. Also, a Naval Wargaming Scale.
D. Micro Armor Scale
E. Reaper's latest version of CAV (CAV: SO ) is nominally this scale.
F. 1:160 often matches or is very close to N-scale model railroad kit.
G. A lot of ACW and Napoleonic gaming happens at this scale.
H. Warhammer (Fantasy or 40K) is this scale.
J. 37.5mm is really, really close to 1.5 inches; also 1:48 often matches O-scale model railroad kit.
K. An oddball scale. 1:36 — 1 inch=3 feet — 50mm soldiers would be much tidier.

F&J. Research into RR scales remains ongoing (numerous, numerous! RR scales exist) and for now they are being added to these notes.

[+] 7 users Like pendrake's post
Thank you for this, I'm constantly having to re-google different scales when I start working on a project, now I can just reference this!
Any chance of adding the various model train scales in there somewhere?
(12-09-2014, 11:31 AM)Ambience 327 Wrote: Any chance of adding the various model train scales in there somewhere?
I have added two RR scales, in the notes section, also corrected a major blunder which was also in the notes section. Research into RR scales is ongoing, check back for updates.

Important tidbit: Gauge and Scale get incorrectly used interchangeably sometimes when model Rail Roading is the subject.

About thirty minutes ago my last computer, a laptop, died. I am typing this with the unspeakably worthless, clumsy interface afforded by a smartphone interface.

I don't know when I will ever be able to get properly back on the internet again.

I did have a look at some G-scale RR info three days ago. It is such a muddled mess of confusion I don't have a clue or recommendation for relating it to a figure or gaming scale. Seriously. Take a figure and compare it directly in person where G-scale kit is concerned.

Anyway, due to equipment failure, I doubt I will get anything else done on this scales sorting for a long time.

I may just give up on computers and internet. Maybe I'll feel differently in a few days...

...E2A: I got another computer and have learned to manage with a go, go, gadget smart-alec-phone.

(12-16-2014, 06:57 AM)pendrake Wrote: About thirty minutes ago my last computer, a laptop, died.  I am typing this with the unspeakably worthless, clumsy interface afforded by a smartphone interface.

That's rough. Had a similar situation a couple months ago when my desktop unexpectedly died. My wife came home to find me quietly weeping amidst a pile of various computer parts. The frustration certainly made me contemplate throwing everything out and cutting my ties with the digital world... but necessity and digital addiction eventually won out.

Thanks for the scale research you've done so far, it is a handy reference when planning new pieces. Like you said though the manufacturers tend to be a little loose with their definitions. I've done a lot of 15mm gaming and the differences between manufacturers can be so extreme that the figures don't even look right next to each other. I often measure the figure that I want to use the terrain with and base the planning off of that. With 15mm I've oddly found the figures I have to often measure to around 1"=8' despite the 15mm claim.
Great post Pen!
It would be really cool to have a picture with a bunch of similar unit in different scales together.

I have 28mm and 2mm, as well as some 6mm biplanes. Unfortunately not much else.
(01-19-2015, 10:00 PM)Caleb Wrote: It would be really cool to have a picture with a bunch of similar unit in different scales together.

I have 28mm and 2mm, as well as some 6mm biplanes. Unfortunately not much else.

I don't have all the scales either. But that is an interesting idea.

A group effort of some kind, with the photos shot by different people composited,...

Technical considerations:
A common object in frame for scale...
A standardized backdrop...

(01-20-2015, 03:35 PM)pendrake Wrote: Technical considerations:
A common object in frame for scale...
A standardized backdrop...

AA battery could work as a common size indicator. Currency doesn't work well.

The backdrop would be tricky unless we opted for something like white printer paper (which often causes issues with colour adjusting cameras).