The Post With All The Scales
(01-20-2015, 10:06 PM)Caleb Wrote:
(01-20-2015, 03:35 PM)pendrake Wrote: Technical considerations:
A common object in frame for scale...
A standardized backdrop...

AA battery could work as a common size indicator. Currency doesn't work well.

The backdrop would be tricky unless we opted for something like white printer paper (which often causes issues with colour adjusting cameras).

What kind of green is green screen? I used to scratch build epic titans on smaller scale. Warlord is a cool model.
If there was a standard green everyone could find... or would any medium green work?
(02-27-2015, 02:44 PM)TAC Wrote:

The backdrop would be tricky unless we opted for something like white printer paper (which often causes issues with colour adjusting cameras).

What kind of green is green screen? I used to scratch build epic titans on smaller scale. Warlord is a cool model.
If there was a standard green everyone could find... or would any medium green work?

Green Screen?

(03-07-2015, 10:33 PM)pendrake Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 02:44 PM)TAC Wrote:

Green Screen?

You know that they shoot actors against when they're going to add cgi effects behind them. But this isn't a movie is it? Smile Then you could just put whatever behind all the models in the composite photo.
I did a bit of an overhaul. Added 1:275 for micro armor. Tinkered with the notes.

Found out that ( C ) turns into a ©opyright symbol if the spaces are removed. Useful.

I didn't see 28mm on the list, which is the scale the Perry brothers use for their historical miniatures. They also sell a couple of building sets which are labeled "1/56th Scale, Hard Plastic for 28mm Gaming".

-Elroy
(03-15-2015, 10:53 AM)TaltosVT Wrote: I didn't see 28mm on the list, which is the scale the Perry brothers use for their historical miniatures.  They also sell a couple of building sets which are labeled "1/56th Scale, Hard Plastic for 28mm Gaming".

-Elroy

28mm is the figures scale where the fudge factors, differences between manufacturers, and scale creep combine at their worst.   I have seen some sources decide on 1:56 for 28mm.  

But, looking at the chart in the first post 1:56 should fall between 1:60 and 1:48. That would make Six foot-ish soldiers 32-35 mm.  Confused 

I added 1:90 and 1:100 this morning. 

Here is an entertaining picture of some 1:1 scale soldiers. Note that though they are standing on a level hangar floor, with their boots aligned their uneven heads reveal some of them are victims of scale creep!
[Image: slideshow_1002292783_112411guard_CC14.jpg]

Hey guys! Hey Melly!! Just thought I'd chime in. This came from Warseer site. I added the link in case anyone wanted to see the whole thing. GW seems to be worst at scale. just a quick glance and its pretty obvious.

"Here's a quick pic that shows the scaling issue pretty well,:

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=173041&d=137...35&thumb=1]

Left to right: SM DA Vet, 1:48 WW II officer, 1:48 WW II soldier, GW Cadian trooper, older GW Lord Solar.

I've set all of the figures on GW bases. As you can see, the height of the GW figs is not off too far from the 1:48 scale figs, but the GW figs are much more bulky.

I've tended to use 1:48 scale military vehicles and gear, and O-scale model railroad structures and equipment for gaming terrain, since they seem to work pretty well with 28mm figures size-wise.

Interestingly, 1:35 scale military logistics gear (barrels, boxes, and so forth) seems to be near-identical in size to the barrels and boxes that GW has in their 40K Battlefield Accessories Set." http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?374743-Warhammer-40K-scale/page2 

I would have to agree that as far as visually, O gauge works very well for 28-32mm. Now with the new AoS, the "Sigmarines" are a full head taller than space marines. I think GW is heading towards 35mm for their models. Just my guess. My group and i have talked about scale in RPGs and war games, and agree that there needs to be a standard, however as terrain builders we also need to keep in mind, And Melly correct me please if I'm off base, but as far as war games, the terrain is more of a place holder or obstacle more than anything. I've seen Wargamers get a bit grumpy when the terrain takes up to much of the board no matter how cool it is. I think the GF9 High Elf keep is a good example. In a GW game the keep was described as housing 10 archers a captain and a hero. I was in the process of building one that was more likely to house such a crew, but abandoned the project because it would have been way to big for a war gaming session. Now it may work in an RPG setting as a focal point for the player characters, so I may finish it anyway.  I think, because in RL we just don't have people walking around on 5x5 bases that are a standard stair height, when we see figs we visually have to enlarge the surroundings to fit what we see as what should look "correct" to our minds. Just a thought. I think this place is a great place to start. I'm looked into the RR gauges as far as gauge to scale. I found HO gauge is = to 1/87"scale. I also found this site. All the gauges explained with scale ratios:http://www.nmra.org/beginner/scales
[+] 1 user Likes hbomb's post
Love it.