Random boat talk
I am in the market for a new boat, but don't know what direction to go. Part of me says buy a used i1m, part of me says build a hull comparable to the old boat so I can use all the old rigging. I don't really need to race, but of course I'd like to think that I could, and be awesome at it. The natural contradiction of reality and what I think limits the decision to a financial one. SO, Caleb, what do you got in the way of sailboat hulls or hull kits in the one meter range?

Other recent boat projects include re-rigging various pond yachts. Some of those sheets were over 30 years old.

I've also started making rain boats for the coming spring. I cut up milk cartons and similar packaging to make flat bottomed boats. I hot glue on some cheap dollar store army men, a bamboo skewer flagpole and wine-bottle-foil flag, and it's an instant fast-attack patrol boat. Sometimes I'll add bamboo masts and bleach bottle sails. I slowly build up a flotilla of these for the coming spring storms; when it rains hard I run to the top of the hill and launch these boats into the gutter and see if they can make it all the way down without capsizing or getting sucked down a storm drain. Hence "rain boats". I stack them up near the door.

And Caleb, what was that about the new steam launch?
(02-23-2015, 03:18 AM)Tob Wrote:  SO, Caleb, what do you got in the way of sailboat hulls or hull kits in the one meter range?

I don't have much in the way of sailboats. Most of the plans I've got developed are tugboats (for clients) or steam boats (for me). If there was something that caught your eye I could always digitize some plans and cut them out for you. I keep eyeballing the old J class sailboats. Those lines are just gorgeous.
As far as my own sailboats, I've got a two-masted schooner that was scratch built from plans ...
Here's a Youtube video of it

I've also got another sailboat that I didn't build, but refurbished.
[Image: 100_5231.jpg]

I've repainted it since that picture was taken, as well as redone the deck.
[Image: 100_5455.jpg]
I also redid the cabin, but it appears I don't have pictures of that.
I believe that hull design is called "Ariel". I've seen it on ebay a few times. Seems like it's a quick balsa build that has been fiberglassed. Very nimble due to the round hull, although a touch sensitive to gusts.

I've been giving thought to making a 'footy' class sailboat. Found a few simple plans, but ran into the issue that I like pretty boats, and they just don't look right...

(02-23-2015, 03:18 AM)Tob Wrote: ... when it rains hard I run to the top of the hill and launch these boats into the gutter and see if they can make it all the way down without capsizing or getting sucked down a storm drain.  Hence "rain boats".  I stack them up near the door.

Good to know I'm not alone. Mine are usually quite simple, though. I made a few from walnut shells a while back that did really well. There was a bunch of oak leaves clogging the storm drains so they actually made it two blocks.

(02-23-2015, 03:18 AM)Tob Wrote: And Caleb, what was that about the new steam launch?

Here's a link to another forum that shows the build log. I'm unfortunately without a working camera, so the photos are from the cellphone.

I took it down to the pond today to check how much ballast will be needed.
[Image: 10168082_10155266276545241_6126999910908793265_n.jpg]

Looks like the boat's going to end up weighing about 41lbs when she's all done. I think I'll buy a cart with wheels.
(02-23-2015, 04:20 AM)Caleb Wrote: If there was something that caught your eye I could always digitize some plans and cut them out for you. I keep eyeballing the old J class sailboats.

I have been looking at some plans, but I haven't found anything perfect yet.
I've always liked Js too; I'll have to give that some consideration.

I like that Ariel. I can see where it might be a little roll-y.

Your launch is looking fantastic! A little shocked to hear it needs to ballast out around 41 pounds, but then I always forget we're not racing sailboats here. So a little "buckshot-epoxy composite" then?
That much mass has me thinking about the steam plant; what's the displacement on that bad boy?
With the engine, full boiler and fuel tank, its about ten pounds.

For the ballast, I was originally hoping it would be removable. But that's not looking likely. Will likely be epoxy/shot.
[Image: IMG_20150308_113544_200.jpg]

Took one of the sailboats out on the lake while fishing. A fairly blustery day. I haven't had this boat out in decent wind in quite a while. A bit of tweaking will be needed. In this much wind the jib wanted to twist, as it doesn't have a boom. I may need something to stiffen the bottom of the sail, but still let it slip past the mast.

Time for pondering.
I've been thinking about this since I read this last night and have come to the same conclusion you probably already have.  Plastic batten.

My first thought was spring steel wire, but it tends to poke and might abrade the mast as it swings by.  Obviously I'm thinking of materials strong enough to hold the shape, but flexible enough to get by the mast without damaging anything.

Strip ABS seems like it might be too soft, but if it was wide enough it might work.  The concern here is ABS can have memory.

A thin fiberglass or carbon fiber rod?  Sintra?  Acetate?

You know where I am going with this.
Now that I think about it some more, I believe the boat had a boom tucked inside the hull, which wasn't rigged when I got it.

Perhaps the original owner was sailing in lighter breezes and found it had too much mass. Not sure.

I may try out a removable boom, and see if that makes a difference. I need to replace the battens on the other sail anyways, so some tinkering with rigging seems like a good idea.
@Caleb: Is this boom something fitted along the bottom edge of the jib? Do 1:1 sailboats have those?

@Tob: Picture of boats with dollar store crews?

Typical rain boats in various stages of construction. Sail is cut from a bleach bottle. That particular boat will get a keel and be put in a pond.

[Image: UO3TBQ5.jpg]

[Image: zeyCMAX.jpg]

Photo bomb.
"Is this for me?"
"No, those are rain boats for when it rains."
"This is for me!"
(03-10-2015, 11:20 PM)pendrake Wrote: @Caleb: Is this boom something fitted along the bottom edge of the jib?  Do 1:1 sailboats have those?

That's right. Some do, some don't.