Ghost Town!!!!!!!!!!!
I have 50+hour work weeks right now, so little time to do a lot of terrain making, or even gaming for that matter... I am hopeful that soon I'll change vocations, and be back to 40 hours... still check in at least every other day though...
[+] 1 user Likes grifman's post
We all know how hard it is to find time for all of the projects we have and terrain rarely take the priority. I think we need to focus on driving new members here because like Grifman said, it's a lot easier to find time to check in and comment on things than it is to build a piece. The problem is we're like 75 people who don't have time to build and 5 people who do. That's putting a lot of pressure on that handful of people to keep us entertained. Tongue

I'm going to start spreading the word around where I can and I would encourage any member here to do the same, even if it is to a company. We have a promotional area that they can advertise their product in which could generate a conversation all on it's own.

I also think I'm going to create a Facebook page for TG just so we have a presence in the social media playing field. I don't really see that becoming a social space for members (that's why we have a forum) so much as an easy way for me to connect with other terrain-minded people and lure them here. If members 'like' the TG facebook page, maybe some updates in their feed will be a reminder to come check out the new threads.

And of course, I hope you all can find some spare time for the hobby and post some new projects of your own! I think that would be the most therapeutic for us all. Smile I know I miss my relaxing hobby time.
[+] 2 users Like MellyMonkey's post
(04-09-2015, 03:09 PM)MellyMonkey Wrote: I also think I'm going to create a Facebook page for TG just so we have a presence in the social media playing field.

Sounds like a plan. I may never remember how to connect to FB. Is there a way to keep the feed/wall thing largely free of getting splattered with irrelevancies...?  I know so little about FB. It has been about a year since I messed with it. I think Pendrake's page befriended Terrain Wench's page but I don't remember for sure.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
I go through phases of building scenery and I went to the old forum a few weeks ago after not being there for many moons and couldn't log in. After some faffing around I discovered a post alluding to a new site which I duly signed up for. I think the main problem with traffic here was the lack of info regarding it. Maybe a block email to old users may help. I actually prefer this site as I never seemed to be able to get on with the old one. Sad

I think time will bring people in, like the ad says 'If you build it, they will come.'

A facebook presence, and definitely a Twitter account would help. 
[+] 1 user Likes Unfinished Jobs's post
Would it be possible to put together some tutorial videos? Most of my terrain-related searching is for tutorials, and video tutorials are what I find most helpful.

One topic I haven't really seen good coverage of is how to plan out a table for a given game; there's something in that vein for Infinity, but that's all I've ever found and it's really tackling the game setup rather than 'what kind of terrain should I make'.

But I'm rambling. My point is, Youtube is where I look for terrain, and I doubt I'm unusual in that regard. I don't know how feasible it would be to get such a scheme rolling, but I imagine it would bring people in.
[+] 1 user Likes ntw3001's post
(04-16-2015, 09:57 PM)ntw3001 Wrote: Would it be possible to put together some tutorial videos?
My point is, Youtube is where I look for terrain, and I doubt I'm unusual in that regard.

That is a mighty good point and an interesting idea. I think you're right; a lot of people these days when looking for "how-to" will go to youTube. Any TG video posted there could be full of pointers back to the website.

Making the videos is the hurdle to get over. Decent production values take a lot of time and effort, but we do have people around here with decent production values. If the videos were fairly short and generic ("How To Make A Pine Tree") and a few people made one, the individual burden might be tolerable.

I'd be willing to make one, but I don't have the computer power; have a nice video camera but no computer to edit a vid together.
Maybe a group effort is in order.

I like the idea, I just don't know where the videos will come from.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
We can't host videos on the TG site/forum because of bandwidth/storage issues and in any case: folks go direct to YouTube for that stuff, and of course folks upload to YouTube as themselves... so why involve TG?

All I can think of on this is that if you go to YouTube searching for something you don't necessarily get to see the best example of it that they have. So a possible role for TG is to provide facilities whereby somebody can come wanting to know, for example, how to plan out a table, and be directed to the best known info on the web be it a video, blog, website, whatever, and to then provide a place to discuss it.

Sure, you can post a question or comment on two year old blog post or YouTube video (after creating a log in) and hope to get a reply (if it isn't lost in amongst the other non-terrain related chatter and applause from the makers family and friends who don't really have a clue what they are looking at). However on TG you can post a question about something from as far back as you like, be it on TG or elsewhere, and get useful answers and comments from the current crop of regulars who know their terrain making stuff. Smile

I know this puts a different slant on TG from what I advocated when I was running it, but let's face it: my idea that TG should be the place where people actually posted their stuff didn't work out and at this juncture I don't see TG stealing those people back from Facebook, Blogger, YouTube and all the other places people post their stuff. TG needs to redefine it's role in this brave new world and I think it could have a role as the place to come to be directed to the best stuff and to talk about it afterwards with folks who know the subject and are dedicated to it.
[+] 2 users Like AndySlater's post
(04-17-2015, 12:45 AM)AndySlater Wrote: ... so why involve TG?

Strictly advertising? The videos I had in mind would be thinly veiled ads. URL onscreen, lots of plugs, "if you have questions" or "for more techniques and advice", and "show us your ___", along with very general subject matter. I realize it's a lot of effort just to put the name out there; is it worth it?

I guess the compromise here would be for individual members to create WIP/tutorial videos of whatever project they're doing, fill it up with the plugs and ads mentioned above, and then post them to YouTube and wherever else. As TG itself isn't its own centralized creative entity, this would be about the only way to go about it. This then gets the TG name seen on Youtube and serves the New Direction of TG being the hub of discussion ex facto.

So who wants to make a video of their next project as an advert for TG?
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
I'm up for making a few videos to promote TG however: whether or not TG is to have a "new direction" is up to Melly. She's the admin now. It's her call. I'm just making a suggestion.
[+] 1 user Likes AndySlater's post
(04-17-2015, 12:45 AM)AndySlater Wrote: We can't host videos on the TG site/forum because of bandwidth/storage issues and in any case: folks go direct to YouTube for that stuff, and of course folks upload to YouTube as themselves... so why involve TG?

Well as a viewer, I tend to find a channel whose presentation I like and watch multiple videos from them. If everyone posts under their own account, I'm seeing a hundred videos from a hundred uploaders and I have no idea who is who or what is worth watching. With everything collected under a single umbrella everything becomes much easier to search through, which results in more videos viewed, and a recognisable channel would hopefully lead back to this community. Miniwargaming has some good videos, but terrain isn't really their focus. Their terrain videos are mixed in with battle reports and other nonsense.

As I mentioned though, the presentation of the videos is important; it would need to be fairly uniform or else it would just be a mishmash with no particular appeal. The most important thing is probably the intro and sign-off; there could either be a kind of style guide for how these videos should be presented, or whoever was in charge of the Youtube account could edit in a quick intro/outro for each video (something like 'Hi, I'm Big Bernard from Terragenesis.uk. Today's video is From Oliver, who will be showing us how to make trestle tables for 54mm tea parties. Take it way, Oliver'). I'm not sure how much extra work managing that sort of thing would be though, or whether the community would be able to keep up a regular Youtube offering.
[+] 1 user Likes ntw3001's post