Ghost Town!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, it's done - kind of.

I have made a new marker for my games (so I have 7 now) and I recorded the entire process (in 13 different parts)

I had to convert the MP4 files into WMV *sigh*

Using Movie Maker, I have edited the entire thing together- got rid of my random ramblings and just kept the important info.
The Movie Project is approx 25Mb and lasts for 3 and a half minutes - perfect! YAY...

But...

I cannot save the movie - it keeps coming up with the old "windows movie maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk space available, and then try again" error after about 20% Sad

I have spent all morning online trying to find a cure, nothing has worked.
(04-25-2015, 12:27 AM)djmothra Wrote: windows movie maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk space available

That's a horribly unspecific error. Somewhere there's not enough memory. I presume you've tried saving to a jump drive or ssd, reducing the render size of the vid, and/or cleared memory in all other locations.

I'll give it some thought.
Yes, it's a ridiculous error. I have now spent the last few days scouring the forums and no one - Literally no one has any kind of solution - this has been going on since 2010 (the earliest dates reporting the error)

I was using WMM2.6 - I have now just installed WMMLive to see if that makes any difference - the Project I had made won't load though, so it looks like I'll have to do it again (which isn't so bad, WMMLive has so many more options that 2.6)

I'll let you know how I fare with it Big Grin
I never got on well with the old Terra Genesis. I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world and found it hard to navigate and contribute to. This - more standardized - forum setup is closer to what I'm used to. I met my wife on a site very similar to this.

I have spread the word to the people I think would bring the most punch to the community - and put up a standard Facebook notification. I had hoped that posting in the WIP thread here, would lead to helpful hints and tips from long term builders. I keep checking back and no one is posting.

Now I have: The Specials, stuck in my head.

This town, is coming like a ghost town
All the clubs have been closed down
This place, is coming like a ghost town
Bands won't play no more
too much fighting on the dance floor
[+] 1 user Likes SethDrallitoc's post
I have a really bad habit of checking tg on my phone, and thinking "I'll have to write a post when I'm in front of the computer" and it seldom happens. I have a few projects I'm hoping to get working on that may help me post more.
Doesn't help that I have no real camera...
First of all, thanks for spreading the word!

Honestly, I'm rather impressed in how much dialog has been going on here the past two weeks. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's more than we've had in awhile! I thought for certain there would be no finished enteries in the last competition, but I was happily proved wrong.

I'm a firm believer of "if you post it, they will come"... just probably not over night. Summer has notoriously been a slow time on TG, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Don't be disheartened - this is going to take some time to bring the atmosphere over to this new platform. If we keep getting quality projects posted like yours, people won't be able to resist commenting.
Hi everyone!

Firstly, I've been a lurker on TG for more than a decade. I remember first discovering it for Gary's articles and periodically since then I've popped over for a look at what people are doing. I don't game at all any more, but it's something I want to do again. I haven't made any terrain in probably 4 years but every so often I get an itch and I come here in search of inspiration for a scratch.

Just last week I had my first stop over in well over a year. I was really surprised to see NO recent activity. It took me a while to realize that the forum had moved to a new domain. Anyone like me who stops in occasionally may not realize that it's moved. This could be a reason why traffic has dropped right off.

I'm also really surprised there aren't more competition entries in the current comp.

As a lurker it's really disappointing to see how things have gone. I feel Andy's pain seeing a vibrant community that's really reduced.

I think the points that people have raised about the lack of material and content is valid. People like me that come for a look may not stick around without anything to see. I had nearly given up on TG before I realized it had moved.

As for what can be done, I like the idea of the video tutorials. Moving toward a "skills base" archive is a great idea. Posting and showing people how something is done, rather than just what has been done could be a great move. Things like the future technique is a good case in point. I came to TG with very little idea of how to go about making good terrain and after seeing all the articles I was inspired to get in and have a go.

Maybe this is the direction that it needs to go in?

I really like the competition ideas. Hopefully I can get some time to game & create again and then get in and have a crack at something. Until then, this is my 2 cents as a genuine lurker.

Cheers,

Rid
[+] 2 users Like Rid's post
Yeah, I'm sure there are a lot of people that do the same as you - go to the old site, only to see it is dead and not find the link to here.
I did suggest that the old site gets changed, so that it's very obvious that people need to come here - many months ago, but still nothing Sad
Hello,

If I may add my thoughts to this discussions, I might bring some suggestions.
First I have to say that I agree with Rid (among others) when he says:
(08-02-2015, 08:49 AM)Rid Wrote: As a lurker it's really disappointing to see how things have gone. I feel Andy's pain seeing a vibrant community that's really reduced.

I think the points that people have raised about the lack of material and content is valid. People like me that come for a look may not stick around without anything to see. I had nearly given up on TG before I realized it had moved.

However I would like to mitigate his words of disapointment. Yes, it is sad and disappointing to find a decrease in the site activity, but I prefer to see the glass half full: TG is not dead because of the will and work of the moderators/webmasters so there is still hope of a brighter future for this site.

I have a few suggestions to make it better. First I have to think about what brough me here, so we can generalise and attract other members among which hopefully will be active participants.
I have to mention that I first discovered TG when the new site was created, so they were fresh posts on the old forum talking about it and I naturally ended up here.
What I found really interesting in the old site was the "project" sections (article, ressources, etc.), because there was a lot of quality articles and useful tips aggregated at the same place. Let's be honest: There are plenty of other forums (should we say fora?) online with good posts about terrain making and modelling; either diluted within painting and gaming posts, or in a dedicated section. However, there are far less (if any) non-commercial websites about terrain making containing fine articles like the ones the old site offers.
The competition part sounds more like a bonus to me although it is indeed a wonderful idea.

I am a bit puzzled about the status of the old site, particularly about the project sections I mentioned:
Will it still be online indefinitely?
Will some fresh contents still be added?
Will it be a reforged into a new version to match the new forum?
(The answers to these questions might be posted somewhere but I could not find them, sorry).

Anyway, back to my suggestion:
Would it be possible, from time to time, to skimm the posts on the new site, find the best post (from showcase section or finished WIP) and compile them (with some edditing?)
This would overtime lead to the creation/updating of a "best of" TG, sorted by theme, that would be easier to browse than old forum thread.

The way I see the forum is like a giant sandbox where we can express ourselves, get/give advice, and catalyse our motivation, but the final product (including landmark WIP steps) might be worth reposting where the passing fellows can stop and (hopefully) get hooked into the community.

I think this meets Rid, when he says:

(08-02-2015, 08:49 AM)Rid Wrote: As for what can be done, I like the idea of the video tutorials. Moving toward a "skills base" archive is a great idea. Posting and showing people how something is done, rather than just what has been done could be a great move. Things like the future technique is a good case in point. I came to TG with very little idea of how to go about making good terrain and after seeing all the articles I was inspired to get in and have a go.

Maybe this is the direction that it needs to go in?

I am not sure if what I suggest is possible: it might require the agreement of the author(s), a significant amount of time to do some editing... But I think it's worth thinking about, and there might be some workaround to these problems.

In summary, I advocate for a pretty "front page" hosting the best of what TG has to offer and that clearly links to the "new site" forum.

I hope that this overly long reply will help moving things forward. Tell me what you think!
The solution to the lack of content 'problem' is to
CREATE CONTENT!

Posts breed posts, content breeds content. If people want video tutorials,
MAKE VIDEO TUTORIALS!

This site is member driven. The CONTENT comes from the MEMBERS. There is no Magic Internet Producer who will make content for you. Begging, complaining, or even just talking about it does NOT create content.

Instead of thinking of ways to get other people to make content, JUST POST SOME OF YOUR OWN WORK. That is content. People will see it and comment on it. Maybe they'll get ideas and post their own content.

Posting ideas of what you think "somebody should do" isn't very helpful because who is the somebody? Andy? Nope. Melly? Nope. THERE IS NO "SOMEBODY", so suggestions of what "somebody should do" are invalid at best.

There is no SOMEBODY. There is only YOU, the member. Members are responsible for content. Want content? Start posting.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post