Ghost Town!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes! Me too! Next week! Blush

We are throwing a massive house-party and this week has been crazy busy!
[+] 2 users Like SethDrallitoc's post
(08-14-2015, 07:15 AM)MellyMonkey Wrote:
(08-12-2015, 12:44 PM)Mangouste Wrote: I am a bit puzzled about the status of the old site, particularly about the project sections I mentioned:
Will it still be online indefinitely?
Will some fresh contents still be added?
Will it be a reforged into a new version to match the new forum?
(The answers to these questions might be posted somewhere but I could not find them, sorry).

Anyway, back to my suggestion:
Would it be possible, from time to time, to skimm the posts on the new site, find the best post (from showcase section or finished WIP) and compile them (with some edditing?)
This would overtime lead to the creation/updating of a "best of" TG, sorted by theme, that would be easier to browse than old forum thread.

Andy's decision as the site owner was to take TerraGenesis and split it into 2 entities: the TerraGenesis forums and a TerraGenesis Wiki site to hold the articles and resources. Ideally, projects and conversations on the forums would generate content for the wiki like you mentioned. The great ideas being shared here would be copied and consolidated there and editable by members to create an archive of resources. Since Andy wanted to pass off the Site Admin duties on the forum to someone else and he had custom-coded the TG site, the new forum had to be created in a more user-friendly format. Luckily, thanks to the internet being what it is, there are a lot of forum setups available for the general public to pick up. So, creating this new forum was a relatively quick & easy switch. Getting the wiki setup, gathering all the information from the old site, and then converting that info into wiki articles is a lot more complicated. And Andy's the only one taking on that responsibility. It's going to take time. The old site is staying as is until that information is transferred. As of right now, I believe you can not sign in to make new posts there, so there will not be new content added to the old site.

This was explained somewhere, but it was before the switch happened and I realize new members may not be up to speed. I will write up a proper description to place in the 'About' section so this information isn't buried 6 pages deep into this thread.

(Sorry for the delay, I was away for a few weeks.)

Thank you for these precisions. This undertaking represent a great deal of time and work indeed but I am glad the TG transition works this way.
Good luck to the admins!
I have been wondering about this very thing. As a new member I was really excited about this place. What reeeaallly got my attention was the contest concept. I have belonged to other forums with contest threads and I love the idea. The contest is something the other platforms like YouTube can't really provide. That being said I looked through the past TG contests and I was quickly disappointed to see that there was very little participation. Something I would go for in place of contests would be challenges. The reason I like contests is they present a challenge. Being given a set of parameters to work to can be the mother of creativity. Also the challenges could be launched on a YouTube video that would end saying submit work to the TG forum. You could also consider shorter term challenges. The current contest length of two months may be so long that some people lose interest. You could present a weekly challenge, a monthly challenge, and a bi-monthly or quarterly challenge. A video would introduce new challenges. The same video would also spotlight the challenge project from Past that stood out above the others. For example if there is a weekly challenge there would be a weekly video announcing the challenge. That same weekly video would spotlight challenge projects from two weeks prior that stood out above the others.

Eliminating the contest format for now means less effort. Right now someone has to organize contests. The organizer as is stated in the contest area of TG should be monitoring the contests. I can't really tell how often that happens. Furthermore in the two months between contest start and end what happens if the member who is the organizer can no longer fulfill their responsibilities. Lastly a contest would indicate some sort of incentive. On other forums I belonged to it was simple bragging rights. However when there are so few people participating that kinda doesn't work. A challenge would be simply that. Follow a set of guidelines and show us what you got.
I'm occasionally involved in painting challenges on other for a that I follow. Most notably, I just finished up Season 7 of the Oath challenge on SomethingAwful - each month there's a theme and a technical challenge, you post pictures of what you're going to do at the beginning of the month and then pics of your finished product at the end of the month. It was great motivation for me, and I got a ton of stuff painted. The technical challenges also forced me to push my own envelope and really improve my skills as a painter.

But participating in that ongoing contest also represented a pretty big investment in time, and it is of note that I got virtually zero terrain completed in that time.  Sad

Part of the problem with the contests here is that this new board doesn't have as large a user population as the old TG board. There are a variety of reasons for that, but ultimately it means that the board lacks the "critical mass" for the competitions to be, well, competitive. It used to be that any given contest would have at least a half-dozen really solid entries. I remember the days of agonizing over the voting because there were SO many really good entries. Without that kind of participation, the contests lose much of their draw (both for participants and as a way to bring other folks to the site).

One important thing is worth noting: the original TerraGenesis site was about teaching people how to build terrain. Much of the site was given over to tutorials, tips, and "how-to" articles, much of it aimed towards making terrain quickly and on the cheap. It was a massive repository of shared knowledge. Andy has already asked (on numerous occasions) for the authors of some of some of those articles to "en-wiki-fy" them for inclusion here, but that sounds an awful lot like pushing a stone up-hill. That's especially the case when you have other repositories of useful terrain tips elsewhere, like the Terrain Tutor's YouTube channel.
I agree contests are not really feasible here right now. I envisioned more small scale challenges that don't require participation. No voting or anything like that. For example make a piece of terrain using an aluminum can.