Mordheim - Ruined Hamlet
After watching a YT vid of someone using Bolt-Action models to make scenery for Mordheim, I decided that I will try and do similar. Rather than buying the model sets, I decided to scratch build them myself.

First, looked online for a decent pic of the contents and copied on A4 paper - no measurements were given, so I had to make educated guesses.
[Image: imag0256-jpg.4796]

Next, cut out some of the parts using 3mm plasticard.
[Image: imag0257-jpg.4797]

I then used a soldering iron to 'draw' on/in the details.
[Image: imag0258-jpg.4798]

Glued together using the PVA (Wood Glue actually) + Superglue method and put it on a 6" x 4" bit of MDF (from an old calendar!)
[Image: imag0259-jpg.4799]

The side/Corner bits (does anyone know the official name for these?) are just 1cm squares of cereal packet card and then folded 1/3 the way along and glued on alternatively.
[Image: imag0260-jpg.4800]
[Image: imag0261-jpg.4801]

I'll be adding texture to the base and the wooden bits (a little roof and floor) along with some rubble later.

C&Cs welcome and appreciated!
[+] 2 users Like djmothra's post
Interesting idea, using a soldering iron to melt the pattern in there. Nicely done. Smile

For the corner stones (which are not cornerstones), I believe the word you are looking for is Quoins. Smile
That is a good design. The straight edges on the upper part are where the roof goes? I like the rounded edges where the damage is. That is the Mordh-mish style as I recall from their die-cut card buildings.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
(04-06-2015, 04:02 AM)pendrake Wrote: That is a good design. The straight edges on the upper part are where the roof goes? I like the rounded edges where the damage is. That is the Mordh-mish style as I recall from their die-cut card buildings.

Yes, I'll be adding some burned wooden beams for a roof (or whats left of it) I'll add extra hacks into it if it still looks too straight.
[+] 1 user Likes djmothra's post
(04-06-2015, 04:52 AM)djmothra Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 04:02 AM)pendrake Wrote: That is a good design. The straight edges on the upper part are where the roof goes? I like the rounded edges where the damage is. That is the Mordh-mish style as I recall from their die-cut card buildings.

Yes, I'll be adding some burned wooden beams for a roof (or whats left of it) I'll add extra hacks into it if it still looks too straight.

Trollmeat spotted the correct term: quoins. What I meant by the rounded edges is that the Mordheim buildings didn't exactly burn, nor did they get bomblasted, it was all Comet / Warpstone / Magic / Handwave and it made an odd sort of damage. At least that describes the original buildings from the boxed set. They don't look burned. I think you have matched it well.

It does depend on what other structures you wish to match for style of damage.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
Cool build! It is allways cool to see the use of new (to me anyway) materials and the associated techniques. I'm guessing the 3 mm plasticard is more sturdy than the foamboard I usually work with, but the fumes must be annoying?
[+] 1 user Likes havre's post
Yeah, you have to be careful with the fumes - luckily I live in a 9th floor apartment and always have my balcony doors and kitchen door open (opposite ends of apartment) and always have a breeze coming through.

I've added some tissue paper to the 'blank' areas - those places that didn't have any bricks to give the appearance of some kind of outer layer over the bricks.

I've also added sand to the base - I'll be adding more bits of rubble over the top of the sand.

Pics coming later.
With sand and card added to the base.

[Image: imag0262-jpg.4867]

[Image: imag0263-jpg.4868]
That tissue paper looks great. It's got a great texture contrast against the brick work. Keep it up!
The actual boxed model (Warlord Games Ruined Hamlet) comes with some "wooden" bits - a floor and a bit of roof...so I have done those bits too!

[Image: imag0265-jpg.4881]

[Image: imag0266-jpg.4882]

The wooden parts were thin wooden Tongue Depressors (the kind a doctor would use) and sliced into smaller sections - glued using wood glue.

That little 'thing' in the corner was just some small offcuts of wood that I have put together as a semi-ruined Barrel - not sure if it looks ok or not yet, but it's extra clutter Smile

I also started on a similarly ruined building a few months ago - but got shelved due to time, I have resurrected it - based the same as the first one.

[Image: imag0267-jpg.4883]

[Image: imag0268-jpg.4884]

This second building will get a partial roof as well as some flooring. The outside is already tissue papered and will have extra wooden beams on it.