28mm Utility Poles
Hi everyone,

I've started work on some utility poles to populate the lonely wasteland roads in my post apocalyptic games and thought I'd share.

[Image: TPYMaQI.jpg?1]

The pole is made out of 1/4 wooden dowel. The average utility pole is 40 feet above ground, so I made each pole 8 inches tall.

The cross part is made with 1/8 square balsa wood, I just eyeballed what looked right and 3 inches looked pretty good so I went with that.

The supports are made out of toothpicks with the ends cut at an angle to fit smooth.

[Image: 7X6x3RQ.jpg?1]

For the base I used 2 inch washers. I cut out a piece of card in a rough circle to cover the hole.

[Image: 6WfbnZI.jpg?1]

Then I added a bit of greenstuff around the base of the pole and glued it to the base.

I did five utility poles in a row, so now I'm going to wait for the green stuff to set and then I'll add some sand and rocks to the base.

I'm trying to figure out what to use for the insulators that sit on top of the utility pole. My plan right now is to use my dremel to cut the ends off of a screw to about 6mm and put a few of those on, but after a few attempts that plan is going to be pretty hard so I might go back to the drawing board and try to find an easier solution.

I have some 19 gauge wire to use for the wires that I think should work well, but I'll have to wait to put the wires on until the very end I think.

I'm also trying to think of things to add to the base and maybe the pole...Things like transistor boxes and posters of some sort come to mind.

Feel free to let me know what you think. If you've done something similar to this before I'd appreciate any tips you may have. If you have any ideas of things I'm trying to figure out like the transistors and basing stuff, please let me know.

Thanks!
For the glass insulators, you might have some luck looking for small translucent/transparent beads. You can find all different sizes, shapes, and shades.
(12-08-2014, 08:49 PM)Kokothewise Wrote: [...] I'm trying to figure out what to use for the insulators that sit on top of the utility pole. My plan right now is to use my dremel to cut the ends off of a screw to about 6mm and put a few of those on, but after a few attempts that plan is going to be pretty hard so I might go back to the drawing board and try to find an easier solution.
[...]

Beads. See below:

[Image: 201032310246_pole.jpg]

...Ninja'd by ableman.

[edit] Diagram is by desertdrover, a member of the forum linked in a following post.

Awesome, thanks for that diagram. I've ordered some small seed beads that should do the trick for the insulators.
(12-09-2014, 06:27 PM)Kokothewise Wrote: Awesome, thanks for that diagram. I've ordered some small seed beads that should do the trick for the insulators.

The diagram came from a thread on a railroading forum:
http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29120

...a read through the thread might be useful. I spotted a shot of a knife blade and some blue/green translucent beads in the thread.