Best places to get MDF stateside
Just wondering where my fellow Americans have been purchasing MDF for their terrain making needs.  It seems to be ubiquitous overseas, but I can't seem to find any locally (at least not at the 1/8" or 1/4" thickness).  People keep pointing me to the big box hardware stores, but the employees there look at me like I'm crazy.  Suggestions?   
(06-03-2015, 09:43 AM)Bookawar Wrote: Just wondering where my fellow Americans have been purchasing MDF for their terrain making needs. 

For those thicknesses, I use Masonite brand or equivalent hardboard. Last time I bought some from Home Depot they gave me a free cut or two so I could fit it into my car.
@Bookawar - Home Depot is the place.  Search online on the home depot website, enter your local store info and it will tell you  (1) if it is in stock and (2) what aisle/section in which it is located.  They usually have 2'x2' and 2'x4' sheets at 1/8", 1/4" and sometimes 1/2".  They might even have 4'x8' sheets.  Good Luck.  
(06-04-2015, 11:00 AM)coxrltw Wrote: @Bookawar - Home Depot is the place.  Search online on the home depot website, enter your local store info and it will tell you  (1) if it is in stock and (2) what aisle/section in which it is located.  They usually have 2'x2' and 2'x4' sheets at 1/8", 1/4" and sometimes 1/2".  They might even have 4'x8' sheets.  Good Luck.  

I have some stacks of scrap pieces I got for free, or at a deep discount, at Home Depot.

@Bookawar: the array of products HD carries is vast; the knowledge carried in the head of a randomly selected HD employee is abysmally small; and HD does not commonly call the material MDF

Also, what they stock varies IAW regional building codes. FREX I cannot get 2 inch thick Foamular™ or Styrofoam™ from my local HDs because there is no need for it among local building contractors.

Ask for hardboard, pegboard, and masonite™ and then look at labels closely when they take you to that section.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
(06-04-2015, 06:04 PM)pendrake Wrote: Ask for hardboard, pegboard, and masonite™ and then look at labels closely when they take you to that section.

Pendrake FTW!

(06-04-2015, 06:04 PM)pendrake Wrote: ...the knowledge carried in the head of a randomly selected HD employee is abysmally small...

Divergent Strategy:

Find the cutest female employee. Ask her where to find products that they don't carry/don't exist (Frequency Grease, Undifferentiated Nails, Cube Pein Hammers, etc) and spend a great deal of time talking with her while searching the store to no avail. You probably won't end up with any MDF, but you might go home with something waaay funner.
[+] 4 users Like Tob's post
You could try the Local Ace Hardware, instead of the enormous Lowes or Home Depot stores. Wink
(06-05-2015, 02:13 PM)Tob Wrote: Divergent Strategy:

Find the cutest female employee.  Ask her where to find products that they don't carry/don't exist (Frequency Grease, Undifferentiated Nails, Cube Pein Hammers, etc) and spend a great deal of time talking with her while searching the store to no avail.  You probably won't end up with any MDF, but you might go home with something waaay funner.

Yes, try that... and I hope she is educated enough to know that you're full of it. If she's working there, chances are she is well aware that muffler bearings do not exist. Cute does not = dumb... cute AND blonde then maybe. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like MellyMonkey's post
You see - by way funner - I thought that he may have actually found muffler bearings. Whenever I go into a Home Depot, I find things I never knew existed. Seriously - the last time I was there I spent $200 and I only went in for a light bulb.

American hardware stores are so much more fun than British ones.

I have been given some strange looks when I ask were I can find the LDF. The lighter version of MDF - I will find it some day!
(06-13-2015, 11:50 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: You see - by way funner - I thought that he may have actually found muffler bearings. Whenever I go into a Home Depot, I find things I never knew existed. Seriously - the last time I was there I spent $200 and I only went in for a light bulb.

American hardware stores are so much more fun than British ones.

I have been given some strange looks when I ask were I can find the LDF. The lighter version of MDF - I will find it some day!
There actually is a LDF, or low density fibreboard, but it is usually called something like ten test (which may be a brand name). It's commonly used for dropped or suspended ceiling tiles, with or without sound-damping holes.
I've always found it at Home Depot. Go to the Lumber section area and ask someone specifically from the lumber section where the MDF is. It's not going to be down the aisle with the big plywood stacks or anything. I'm in California and all the Home Depots here have it and they actually have it marked. Each HD employee is assigned to a particular section of the store, stop someone in Hardware and ask them about lighting and they won't know much, stop someone in lumber and ask them about MDF, and they'll point you to it.
[+] 1 user Likes Kevin's post