Terrain Talk Section??
Where is there an On Topic Section?  A section where the topic is Terrain but it is just for General Discussion. The counter part to the Off-Topic Section. I don't have a question to post so this does not seem like it belongs in "Hobby questions". Here is what I have:

_______

I found a short but fascinating article that bears on sculpting and painting Ice, Snow, and Icebergs. Here is the link:

http://www.tourismontheedge.com/places/striped-antarctic-icebergs-anyone.html

It has pictures that demonstrate that some ideas I used to regard as unrealistic are actually spot-on accurate.

_______

MellyM, do please move this to (or create?) a more relevant area.

I originally read that as:
"I found a short but fascinating article OF bears sculpting and painting Ice, Snow, and Icebergs"

Which would be awesome.

I seem to remember Andy posting something about where to put stuff...This Post.

Basically, all links go in Promotions.
(06-06-2015, 06:20 PM)Tob Wrote: I originally read that as:
"I found a short but fascinating article OF bears sculpting and painting Ice, Snow, and Icebergs"

Which would be awesome.

I seem to remember Andy posting something about where to put stuff...This Post.

Basically, all links go in Promotions.

I too, believe in the right to keep and arm Bears ... with sculpting tools. Cool

Well, maybe Melly will move this thread to Promotions. But, it does not really fit any of the specific examples Andy cited.  Confused  I am not promoting whatever that webpage was. Just noting they had some good photos to look at. I found them particularly interesting since I have attempted ice formations before.

I could have copied the URLs to all the images.
OR
Snagged all the images into my photobucket page.
AND
Made a post on here that displayed the photos inline. With my own comments captioning each one.
WITH
Or perhaps without, a credit back to the place where I found the pix.

Where does that sort of posting belong? It would be on the topic of making terrain, but just showing reference photos, with no scale models to qualify for WiP or Showcase of anything. Just a spark to discuss ways of doing ice and snow and how it might look.

Terrain Building opposite of Off-Topic.

(06-07-2015, 03:27 AM)pendrake Wrote:
Where does that sort of posting belong? It would be on the topic of making terrain... Just a spark to discuss ways of doing ice and snow and how it might look.

I ran into this problem when I was considering writing "How-To" stuff. Where to put it? Well, an article like that doesn't have a place to go unless someone asks how to build something specific in the Hobby Questions forum. Besides, articles will go in the archive presumably. If I were to ask "How do I sculpt ice to look natural but exotic?", then you could answer my question with a post of your link and some photos, plus maybe some foam carving tips.

I suppose your photos could be put in Terrain Showcase, because they do showcase terrain. Is the Terrain Showcase limited to models only or can we put inspirational 1:1 real life terrain in there too?

I don't know. An argument can be made for a few options, but I don't know if any of those present an actual solution.
I can see how this doesn't fit. It's not promoting anything, just giving an example for inspiration. Havre had started an inspirational thread in the WIP section. I'm not certain that's the right area either. It will get lost in people's projects. I will create another forum area for on-topic discussions and move his thread there and then PD, if you want to start a new thread just sharing the link and your thoughts on it in there once it is complete.
How about having a "Useful links" post somewhere - If someone finds a good link to something, add it to the bottom of it, then whomever is the 'owner' can amend the first post and add it in.

General Terrain / model making chat could be done on Facebook perhaps? But, I'm sure not everyone uses it - so...I dunno *shrugs* Smile
(06-09-2015, 11:28 AM)MellyMonkey Wrote: I can see how this doesn't fit. It's not promoting anything, just giving an example for inspiration. Havre had started an inspirational thread in the WIP section. I'm not certain that's the right area either. It will get lost in people's projects. I will create another forum area for on-topic discussions and move his thread there and then PD, if you want to start a new thread just sharing the link and your thoughts on it in there once it is complete.

Thanks Melly.
I started a thread in there next to Havre's.