Poll: When should we start the competition?
We're ready! January 1, 2015
83.33%
10 83.33%
Wait for more people! Date to be determined
16.67%
2 16.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Competition Start Date?
It's great to see people joining and using the site! There have been a few bumps in the road, but overall the first few days have been a success in my book. Big Grin 

While setting up the site, we created a 'First Comp' thread to test out certain features and figure out how comps would work in this new environment. The start/end dates are not set in stone unless the group wants them to be. There's already ideas bouncing around for the firs theme, which is awesome. So my question is: should we start the first competition on January 1st? Or wait until more members have joined?

I can see benefits both ways and would like to get more opinions. If we start it right away and there is a problem with the setup, having less people involved may make it easier to control. Then again, having only 1-2 people participate in the comp will not give us a true representation of how it will function. Although with the holidays it may be months before we get large numbers of users active on the new site.

Give your thoughts & feedback and also vote in the poll -- Polls will be part of the competition process and have not been tested yet, so we should probably do that, too! Tongue 

~Melly
(12-09-2014, 08:02 AM)TerraGenesis Wrote: I can see benefits both ways and would like to get more opinions. If we start it right away and there is a problem with the setup, having less people involved may make it easier to control.
This.

(12-09-2014, 08:02 AM)TerraGenesis Wrote: Then again, having only 1-2 people participate in the comp will not give us a true representation of how it will function. Although with the holidays it may be months before we get large numbers of users active on the new site.
If need be the one or two people can make dual entries to get up to a functional 5 entries.

I did like the notion of having the Starting Line day be on the 1st and have the Finish Line day consistently be the 21st.

(12-09-2014, 08:25 AM)pendrake Wrote: I did like the notion of having the Starting Line day be on the 1st and have the Finish Line day consistently be the 21st.

Yes, we could easily wait until Feb 1st, or March 1st as well.
I reckon let Christmas get out the way and then kick the first one off at the start of the new year.

I think the new site and activity on the forum will generate some interest as long as the competition criteria is not too narrow.
*bump*

We've gotten a few new members in the past couple of weeks and we're getting closer & closer to the potential start date. I'm fishing for more opinions. Please let me know if you think we're ready for a comp!

If we start January 1st, I will act as the first organizer and will announce a theme next week.
(12-23-2014, 05:12 PM)MellyMonkey Wrote: *bump*

We've gotten a few new members in the past couple of weeks and we're getting closer & closer to the potential start date. I'm fishing for more opinions. Please let me know if you think we're ready for a comp!

If we start January 1st, I will act as the first organizer and will announce a theme next week.

Thinking out loud here:
That would would put the first real vote at around Feb 21st?

I think it would be useful to do a practice vote on January 21st. Not sure what we'd vote on, but it might be useful to give the new procedure a 'live fire' test as it were.

~~~~edit~~~~ Maybe participants could stick their most recent two work-in-progress pictures into a voting thread and everyone could vote on "who is more likely to finish?" or maybe the question could be "who has the most work left to do?" or "which one are you hoping to see finished?" Just something that would simulate the real deal.

Since we are in a new and shiny Terragenesis, what is the procedure for voting going to be?

In the days of old, the long-ago, the before time, it used to be that a thread was put up with all entries as options on a poll. Is this the way we will operate now?

I found it a pretty okay way to run things. The first post had a list of all the entries, and a link to their WIP threads.
Somehow I feel this got people looking at how the thing went together a bit more than the last method did (perchance I am delusional)

Eazy-O used to compile pertinent information into write-ups for articles (1st place only, perhaps?) and I remember it at times being akin to pulling teeth.

I've been wrapped up in Christmas stuff at home and at work, so haven't had much time to look over the forum. I'd be interested in getting a bit of terrain action at some point soon.
(12-24-2014, 03:02 AM)Caleb Wrote: Since we are in a new and shiny Terragenesis, what is the procedure for voting going to be?

In the days of old, the long-ago, the before time, it used to be that a thread was put up with all entries as options on a poll. Is this the way we will operate now?

That's the plan; like PD mentioned, we should probably do a test first. A poll is a poll; I'm not too worried about it, but extra tests wouldn't hurt... for science!

(12-24-2014, 03:02 AM)Caleb Wrote: Eazy-O used to compile pertinent information into write-ups for articles (1st place only, perhaps?) and I remember it at times being akin to pulling teeth.

I can imagine... anything like that would end up on the wiki site. I would hope that the winner could write their own article. It seems like they would be the expert on their own project and no one person would get overwhelmed. We can't MAKE winners do this, but I think it should be widely encouraged to help generate content for the TG Wiki.
Theme dependent (ofc) I'd be up for the comp starting in a day or so Smile
(12-29-2014, 10:20 PM)djmothra Wrote: Theme dependent (ofc) I'd be up for the comp starting in a day or so Smile
Glad to hear it! It sounds like we'll be doing this. I will post up a theme shortly.