Started with some mold making:
[Image: IMG_9712_zpsy7ivckfb.jpg]

Finished the stonework and pulled out the stones where the join was noticeable:
[Image: IMG_9713_zpsmldktvkq.jpg]

Got sidetracked for a few minutes:
[Image: IMG_9717_zpsqrzvzwqb.jpg]

Then finally replaced the stones and inserted the doorways:
[Image: IMG_9716_zpsuh75lsfc.jpg]
I suspect this board is going to be sensational when it's complete.
DAY 8

I made a smaller hut. I went out to the garage to begin cutting on two spawning pools - when I saw the leftover cutout from the largest of the hovels. It was a sizable piece so I ran it through the hot wire cutter to make a fifth hut.

Just as I was finishing off the edge - my wire snapped. Sad

So... waiting for a replacement.

DAY 9

Visited the Niagara falls area and stopped in at Joann Fabrics.

There was up to 70% off in their floral department - So more jungle was obtained:
[Image: IMG_9739_zpsudkfvt6h.jpg]

Then I began undercoating the hovels:
[Image: IMG_9741_zps5ihlptfy.jpg]

And while that was drying I started roof experiment #3:
[Image: IMG_9736_zps1z8hlacj.jpg]

More carving has been done on the large ziggurat as well as the ever-going casting process to make the 100+ little details.
They are looking great together and that looks like a great way to provide support to the roof while keeping it light weight. Decent foam chunks shall not go to waste! Wink
(07-06-2015, 11:38 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: [The failed roof] was not there... I don't know if I moved it somewhere else and don't remember doing it, but I  cannot find it. [1]

DAY 6 (excluding failed roof day)

On the upside sorting through all that styrene revealed a few big pieces which turned into these:
[Image: IMG_9708_zpsc7f9cxlt.jpg]

I think I am going to do something different with the roof sections. I don't have any more fur [2] so that will have to wait.
  • All this roof experimenting and different styles of roofs will be very interesting to people who view this thread in weeks or months to come, even ideas you later abandon might inspire someone.
  • Do you have a cat?
  • [1] That disappearing half-constructed roof sounds like cat activity.
  • Your thatched roofs look great, but they strike me as a very human way to make a roof.
  • [2] I wonder if Lizards (many of whom are aquatic creatures) would use something else besides thatch for their roofing needs? (Since you are out of fur anyhow.)
  • Maybe hides or shed scales of jungle beasts?
  • Maybe the enormous leaves of the Spineburl++ tree?

++Spineburl is a Lustrian tree I invented, along with the Fangrove. But you could invent your own tree.

(07-12-2015, 07:23 AM)pendrake Wrote:
(07-06-2015, 11:38 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: [The failed roof] was not there... I don't know if I moved it somewhere else and don't remember doing it, but I  cannot find it. [1]

DAY 6 (excluding failed roof day)

On the upside sorting through all that styrene revealed a few big pieces which turned into these:
[Image: IMG_9708_zpsc7f9cxlt.jpg]

I think I am going to do something different with the roof sections. I don't have any more fur [2] so that will have to wait.
  • All this roof experimenting and different styles of roofs will be very interesting to people who view this thread in weeks or months to come, even ideas you later abandon might inspire someone.
  • Do you have a cat?
  • [1] That disappearing half-constructed roof sounds like cat activity.
  • Your thatched roofs look great, but they strike me as a very human way to make a roof.
  • [2] I wonder if Lizards (many of whom are aquatic creatures) would use something else besides thatch for their roofing needs? (Since you are out of fur anyhow.)
  • Maybe hides or shed scales of jungle beasts?
  • Maybe the enormous leaves of the Spineburl++ tree?

++Spineburl is a Lustrian tree I invented, along with the Fangrove. But you could invent your own tree.
So in reading this response the first time - I thought you wanted me to shave my cat to make new thatching...

I get it now.

I love your ideas! I wish I had read this post before I spent a small fortune on fur...

I picked up a half price yard of fur fabric at Joann when I was there looking for plants. half price seemed like a good deal but that came out to $9.00 and was way more than I needed.

I saw your post and knew that I should have come up with a leaf roof instead. I was using reference pictures of Mayan huts - Not being a Lizardmen fan at all - I have no idea about their lives, habits and habitation.

So I was already well on my way to this:

DAY 10

I started my roof struts:
[Image: dbf574b9-8eba-4283-96a3-7af465bfc03b_zpsls9r840z.jpg]

Then later as things were in full swing... I remembered that I am logging my progress... Thankfully I had a building in almost every stage of progress at that point. So I lined them up and took some quick snapshots (I apologize for the images... they were taken very quickly - in questionable lighting - with the never ever used on-board flash).

I hot-glued the struts into place and hot-glued the fur sections for each end into place, curling the excess underneath:
[Image: IMG_9790_zpsy7jp3kgn.jpg]

I cut tongue depressors to length and hot-glued them into place, just beyond the beams (giving me a good surface area to glue the central fur section to):
[Image: IMG_9791_zps83hvog6i.jpg]

Then after cutting the pieces to shape, and snipping out a slot for the center beams to poke through, I hot-glued more fur to build up the center:
[Image: IMG_9792_zpshkqt5xog.jpg]

after snipping away to give a less even feel, brushing on a coat of 50/50, water/PVA and letting it dry. I hit the whole thing with a coat of "Caramel" spray-paint:
[Image: IMG_9789_zpsmh8gfq7w.jpg]

to bed with me... it has been a long day.
Very nice! Those beams poking out are a nice touch.
DAY 11

I decided, that I had avoided it for long enough - It's jungle time.

I've made 2 so far:
[Image: IMG_9836_zpsxosxpgoo.jpg]

I am super happy with them.

Credit where it is due:
Terrain Tutor
Terranscapes
The jungle bits came out nicely and your roof experimentation seems like it's turned up some good ideas. I also prefer the fur over the toweling and I prefer the way you did the fur in the second set of photos where you also had the wood beams sticking out over the fur you did before with the ends that were much more clumped together into dramatic points.

Can I ask how you get such smooth cuts in your foam? I'm sure this is something that could have been covered just anywhere, but since I'm new at this, can I ask? Are you using a hot wire cutter or some kind of tool that's been mentioned before? So far my experience in cutting that purple foamy stuff has been messy as heck. Also, what's it actually called? I saw Melly using it in a video and went to the hardware store and looked around until I found it by recognizing its color, but I don't actually know what it's referred to as by builders.
(07-14-2015, 12:59 AM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: I love your ideas! I wish I had read this post before I spent a small fortune on fur...

I picked up a half price yard of fur fabric at Joann when I was there looking for plants. half price seemed like a good deal but that came out to $9.00 and was way more than I needed.

I saw your post and knew that I should have come up with a leaf roof instead. I was using reference pictures of Mayan huts - Not being a Lizardmen fan at all - I have no idea about their lives, habits and habitation.
Oh well, you have plenty of thatch for when you want to build a Bretonnian village for your Ratmen to undermine.

You could always do a watch tower with a leaf roof. I am a Lizardmen fan and there is a lot of detail missing from their source books. It does not officially say what the ordinary lizard lives in. It goes on at great length about grand temple and pyramid complexes and then kinda skips over whatever serves the bulk of the population. It has been left wide open so you can hardly go wrong. The only reference I remember ever, said something about "Skink Barrios"?
Huh

Where Saurus are housed, or where big Dinos are penned, or much of anything else is strangely absent. I think I have seen (besides spawning pools) Monoliths/Monuments, Arches, Ceremonial Platforms, Portals, maybe an Altar.

You might hold off on making more of those jungle stands until more is known about the new normal for LM terrain, they just changed over to a new edition, and there might be some new ideas. Meantime you might make some matching area markers for the two you just finished. An area marker is perfectly flat, but exactly the same footprint and it marks where the jungle was when a unit on a tray moves into it and the 3D jungle needs to be moved.

That said those two look marvelous.