Drallitoc's Lost Jungle Temple
(07-16-2015, 03:11 AM)BlueMeander Wrote: The jungle bits came out nicely and your roof experimentation seems like it's turned up some good ideas. I also prefer the fur over the toweling and I prefer the way you did the fur in the second set of photos where you also had the wood beams sticking out over the fur you did before with the ends that were much more clumped together into dramatic points.

Can I ask how you get such smooth cuts in your foam? I'm sure this is something that could have been covered just anywhere, but since I'm new at this, can I ask? Are you using a hot wire cutter or some kind of tool that's been mentioned before? So far my experience in cutting that purple foamy stuff has been messy as heck. Also, what's it actually called? I saw Melly using it in a video and went to the hardware store and looked around until I found it by recognizing its color, but I don't actually know what it's referred to as by builders.

I use a hot wire cutter. I'm not going to tell you which one - because it's terrible! I have made several modifications to it to make it useable. 

Try woodland scenics. I know alot of people use their cutters. 

As for "purple foamy stuff". It's called extruded styrene - it is used for insulation. It comes in Pink, Blue, (and very occasionally} a weird light green colour (there is no real difference between them all - different stores sell different brands)... You say you found it in purple???
Huh

You can go into many big box stores and ask where the extruded styrene is - you will most probably just be met with a blank expression. Insulation foam might get you closer. 

If you are just getting started then I would encourage you to watch: 

Terrain Tutor

I went to college for this stuff and still learn new things from this guy. 
[+] 1 user Likes SethDrallitoc's post
(07-16-2015, 05:48 AM)pendrake Wrote: You could always do a watch tower with a leaf roof. I am a Lizardmen fan and there is a lot of detail missing from their source books. It does not officially say what the ordinary lizard lives in. It goes on at great length about grand temple and pyramid complexes and then kinda skips over whatever serves the bulk of the population. It has been left wide open so you can hardly go wrong. The only reference I remember ever, said something about "Skink Barrios"?
Huh

Where Saurus are housed, or where big Dinos are penned, or much of anything else is strangely absent. I think I have seen (besides spawning pools) Monoliths/Monuments, Arches, Ceremonial Platforms, Portals, maybe an Altar.

You might hold off on making more of those jungle stands until more is known about the new normal for LM terrain, they just changed over to a new edition, and there might be some new ideas. Meantime you might make some matching area markers for the two you just finished. An area marker is perfectly flat, but exactly the same footprint and it marks where the jungle was when a unit on a tray moves into it and the 3D jungle needs to be moved.

That said those two look marvelous.

New edition? Hate to break it to you - but there is no new edition. Warhammer Fantasy is dead! 

There will be no new rules for Lustria. Lustria was destroyed! 

We toyed with Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, for all of 3 seconds before deciding that we were just going to stick to 8th edition until we get a fan made 9th. 

We will just have to make house rules: I like the idea of the jungle always being impassable - except to Skinks (and randomly dangerous even to them). I will be making paper footprints for when units are foolish enough to wander in. 

As to other buildings - I now have in my possession - every Lizardmen army book. Scouring them for information and ideas. 

My plans for what I'm adding to this set : 
4 fortified wall sections.
1 fortified gate 
2 watchtowers 
4 wall sections 
2 temples
2 spawning pools 
6 monoliths 
1 Stegadon egg incubator 
2 swamps
1 monstrous cave 

and as many jungle sections as I have plants to fill.  

No plans for a river yet - but it's probably only a matter of time. 
(07-16-2015, 09:19 AM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: New edition? Hate to break it to you - but there is no new edition. Warhammer Fantasy is dead! 

There will be no new rules for Lustria. Lustria was destroyed! 

We toyed with Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, for all of 3 seconds before deciding that we were just going to stick to 8th edition until we get a fan made 9th.
That's the spirit!

(07-16-2015, 09:19 AM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: ... and as many jungle sections as I have plants to fill.  

No plans for a river yet - but it's probably only a matter of time. 
N810 made a really excellent river. I will see if I can locate a link to some pix. For your next Jungle pieces: consider using fender washers as the bases.

Fender washers are inexpensive metal discs that you could fill with plants just like you did the CD base. But if you used a bunch that were 2 inch diameter you could mash a bunch together to create jungle patches in a variety of shapes. It would look a lot like the two patches you have now but it would be really flexible.

Another option that would enable the same flexibility would be ReaperMinis new plastic bases for D&D conversions. Also available in 2 inch diameter. I would put in a link but I think board rules do not allow it. But they are very useful, they have a tidy lip at the edge and a shallow drop in area that can be filled up with basing material.

Edit: I can put a link in a different sub-forum: http://www.terragenesis.uk/showthread.php?tid=374&pid=2150#pid2150

(07-17-2015, 05:05 AM)pendrake Wrote: Fender washers are inexpensive metal discs that you could fill with plants just like you did the CD base. But if you used a bunch that were 2 inch diameter you could mash a bunch together to create jungle patches in a variety of shapes. It would look a lot like the two patches you have now but it would be really flexible.

DAY 12 (Yesterday - therefore before you posted the above)

The base is made from Pegboard:

[Image: IMG_9858_zpsjlumxcbm.jpg]

Which was the closest thing I could find to 3mm MDF (my favourite basing material) on this side of the Atlantic. I used a band-saw to mass produce little dowel pegs to fill the holes - then covered the base in Spackle and painted it.

While the idea of using washers for more diversity is a great one...

I already did this:
[Image: IMG_9855_zpsyimnpm6s.jpg]

There are more not pictured that have already been Spackled...

DAY 13:

I did some painting, of huts and the new jungle bases.

Then - as is my way - I went and did something completely different:
[Image: IMG_9867_zpsceq87hbu.jpg]

This was a prototype/mockup of my fortified wall design (Zombie Giant for scale).

The pink foam at the bottom will made to look like the rest of the stone in the set - Something needs to go in the negative spaces between the Temple Guard cutouts not 100% sure what yet.

I'm pretty happy with the way these came out:
[Image: IMG_9867_zpsir60gv9m.jpg]
(07-17-2015, 05:06 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: Something needs to go in the negative spaces between the Temple Guard cutouts not 100% sure what yet.

It seems to me that when I see these types of walls in real life, the space between the dudes is often filled by one (or a combination) of a few different things:

1. Crops
2. Writing
3. Bodies of the vanquished

In the case of Crops, the dudes are usually carrying agricultural instruments and there are often other scenes of domestic life. Probably not what you're after.

In the case of Writing, the dudes are often being described of their awesomeness as a matter of record. Think Egyptian tombs here. This is a context that might work for you.

Bodies. Well, yeah. In a lot of real life examples of this type of bas-relief, the hero warriors are often standing among their fallen foes. Your dudes have weapons out, so this might be right up your alley. Plus, MOAR SKULLZ!!!!1!

Or you could do geometric patterns, masonry, star fields/maps, flowers, whatever. Maybe do an image search for bas-relief for inspiration. I doubt you can make a wrong choice, really.
Quote:Or you could do geometric patterns, masonry, star fields/maps, flowers, whatever. Maybe do an image search for bas-relief for inspiration. I doubt you can make a wrong choice, really.

Or triangular stacks of skulls. Smile
I would go for Lizardmen glyph plates.
(07-17-2015, 05:06 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: I'm pretty happy with the way these came out:
[Image: IMG_9867_zpsir60gv9m.jpg]

As you should be, they're awesome!
DAY 14

It has been a busy few days and I have had to put Lustria to one side to work on more important (less interesting) matters.

I had run out of Spackle and so while at Home Depot the other day I went to grab some...

I had no idea how expensive that stuff was. The tub I used to make 5 bases and fill 3 tiny nail holes in my kitchen, cost over $8.00. Far too costly for what it is and what I am using it for.

So instead I started using home made wood filler instead.

[Image: IMG_9892_zpsnbaq5iv2.jpg]

Basically I paint the entire base with watered down PVA, throw on a small amount of grit (scrounged from the end of my driveway), and then pour sawdust over the entire thing. I let it dry in the sun for a while, fill any missed patches then hit it with a few coats of spray primer.

The results are ready for my flower arranging skills in no time:
[Image: IMG_9890_zpsej4pxmnd.jpg]

I now have 6 jungle bases complete. 2 large ones and 4 smaller.

I will probably be absent for a bit. Again more important (less interesting) work has to be done.

I know this update hasn't been particularly exciting...

Still - Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions.

Cool
DAY 15

Yesterday I spent 4 hours painting bamboo - to make it look like bamboo:
[Image: IMG_0157_zpse6fru3kv.jpg]