13.33%
2 13.33%
Convertible Orchard/Cemetery - munin
86.67%
13 86.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Comp. III: FINAL ENTRIES
VOTING IS OPEN! Choose your favorite submission by Friday, June 26.

Be sure to give yourself enough time before the close of the competition in case there are any issues posting. No entries will be added in after the deadline, no matter what the cause of the delay. Note that voters will be judging the presentation of your work as well as the work itself. Final entries should be entered with photos that are large, crisp, and well lit. Members will be allowed a maximum of 5 photos per entry. Competition submissions also require a brief description of the materials used, completed size, intended final purpose and a link to your WIP thread.

Observers are encouraged to give comments & critiques in the user's WIP thread in an effort to keep this thread organized will submissions only. Voting will be open for 5 days after the entry deadline.
I made this piece using a foamcore base, a small plasic container, and styrofoam blocks, paint and white glue... the blocks are a product called project bricks..I glued the blocks to the foamcore, and trimmed them, I then base painted it all with black paint. I drybrushed with a dark gray then medium gray then added a dry brush of blood red.. the blood pool was based in black, then painted molten bronze, then an old clumpy white glue that I had sitting around was used to make the thick blood in the pool which was painted in scab red and drybrushed with blood red..scaled for 40K... this piece is 8 by 10 inches.  here is the WIP thread http://www.terragenesis.uk/showthread.php?tid=355
[Image: untitled_by_grifman88-d8xzw3m.jpg]
[Image: untitled_by_grifman88-d8xzumn.jpg]
[Image: untitled_by_grifman88-d8xzzg6.jpg]
[Image: untitled_by_grifman88-d8xzvcq.jpg]
[Image: untitled_by_grifman88-d8xzvlw.jpg]
Down to the wire!

Convertible Orchard/Cemetery

For this competition, I decided to represent both life AND death in a piece of convertible terrain. This submission is intended for use at 15mm scale (miniatures pictured for comparison are 15mm ACW miniatures). Because moving tiny miniatures around in fixed terrain pieces is difficult (and because I wanted to be able to represent both themes), it was important for the internal components of the piece to remain (re)movable.

To accomplish this, the piece has a thin plate of sheet steel (used for ductwork) mounted into its base, which allows magnetized trees to stay where you put them and not be constantly knocked over. The main base is sheet styrene and measures roughly 6" x 6". The internal part of the walled enclosure measures roughly 5" x 5". The wall is pink insulation foam inscribed with a field-stone pattern and painted in a variety of colors and washes. It's a hair darker than I wanted, but I like the color variation in it (there are subtle brown and green undertones throughout).

The cemetery elements are also mounted on 1" x 1" pieces of sheet styrene for thematic flexibility. Elements were constructed of styrene, card, and insulation foam. The painting of those elements is meant to evoke an old cemetery, where the stones show significant lichen/aging and have fallen into disrepair (hence the slanted and broken tombstones).

The trees are simply Woodland Scenics "small tree" armatures modified to contain a small (1/8") rare earth magnet in the base, covered with "summer foliage."
[Image: 2015-06-16%2B01.06.05.jpg]
A note to pretty much anyone - this whole "apply it yourself" thing they've got going is great in theory but in practice is a total pain in the butt. The hour or so I spent covering the trees produced more cursing than the whole rest of the project combined. I'm sure there's probably a trick to it.

I managed to pull this one off in fairly short time (8 days I think?), so I'm afraid there's not an awful lot posted on my WIP thread.

Here, a Confederate regiment takes cover against the stone wall of a country cemetery, preparing to unleash devastating fire.
[Image: 2015-06-21%2B14.57.35.jpg]

[Image: 2015-06-21%2B14.57.48.jpg]

Confederate skirmishers move into an orchard to harry a Union flank.
[Image: 2015-06-21%2B15.01.00.jpg]

This project was a lot of fun (if hectic given the short time frame), and represents my very first foray into 15mm terrain. Comments and criticism are welcome!
Congratulations Munin! This was a nice, multi-purpose build. Well done.
Thanks! I'll have a theme for the next competition posted either later tonight or tomorrow.
[+] 2 users Like Munin's post