Stackable Magnetic Pyramid Terrain
Hello everyone.  I can't believe how long it's been since I've had my hand in any terrain building, or in visiting TG for that matter.

A friend of mine will be running a fantasy role playing game with an Egyptian theme.  To help her out, I am going to build some terrain for one of the climactic encounters.

The terrain will be a large pyramid, formed of separate stackable trays.  Each tray will represent one level inside the pyramid.  The plan is for the players to fight their way up the exterior of the pyramid, then explore the interior from the top down.

The interior floors of each tray will be coated in a layer of sheet metal.  Loose wall segments and terrain pieces will have magnets on the bottom so that they can be moved around, but will stay in place during gentle transport.  If I can manage it, I will also leave just enough space above the movable wall pieces and the base of the tray "ceiling" above to allow for fog-of-war panels to be placed over the maze-like passages allowing the GM to reveal the interior one segment at a time.

As this is for a D&D campaign, the terrain will be marked off in 1-inch square grids.  The exterior slope of the pyramid will be in 1-inch steps except where remnants of the original facade remain intact (not shown in the pics).

Here are some quick SkethUp models of the project.

[Image: 18920776002_d858ef17ac_z.jpg]

[Image: 18926052315_d94f8afe7c_z.jpg]

[Image: 18920774892_26b142c7e3_z.jpg]

[Image: 18305396593_34f187964d_z.jpg]

[Image: 18920773412_04e52b6e24_z.jpg]

Each tray, except the capstone tray, will be just under 3 inches tall.  To fit in in my car, the base will be 28 inches by 28 inches, making the whole thing just over 20 inches tall.

I'm actually posting this now as a bit of a challenge to myself to start working on this project as my garage workshop needs serious tidying (once again) before I can get to work, and I have a lot of summer time commitments that would encourage me to let this slide rather than make incremental progress.

Here's hoping for a fun ride..  Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes ableman33's post
Whoa... epic build. What do you plan on using as material for the main construction? Foam? You might want to consider a Palanquin to help carry this beast, too. Tongue
[Image: iJ2DePcA5X7w.jpg]
Looks like a great project. Hope to see some progress soon - so get cracking on your workshop! Big Grin
Heh.  Blush

Bases will be quarter inch thick luan plywood with trimmed down 1x4s on edge for bracing hidden as one of the steps (although the upper levels will use more luan for bracing instead to save room since they won't be as floppy).  Steps will be strips of extruded polystyrene insulating foam as I used in other projects.  Most of the weight will come from the sheet metal covering each interior floor.  I plan to experiment with covering the metal with square tiles cut from Styrofoam plates like I did for some of the hexes on my mountain and tropical island hex maps.  Assuming that my magnets will still get a good grip through that level of thickness.

Off to work.  Smile
what an awesome idea...I have always loved the idea of a stackable dungeon... looking forward to watching your progress on this.
(06-18-2015, 01:23 PM)ableman33 Wrote: [...]
Most of the weight will come from the sheet metal covering each interior floor.  I plan to experiment with covering the metal with square tiles cut from Styrofoam plates like I did for some of the hexes on my mountain and tropical island hex maps.  Assuming that my magnets will still get a good grip through that level of thickness.
[...]

This might be a pricier but lighter weight plan. I dunno.

Magnetic business card material could replace the sheet metal. In fact it could be cut up into tiles easily. I have seen it in rolls one inch wide. (So half the job done.) Give all the move-able walls strips of sheet metal, or embedded washers, so they will stick to the magnet.

I do know that the magnet side takes acrylic paint well. I do know that washers stick to it in spite of a layer of paint.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
Sorry for the long delay folks. I got crazy busy with teaching this summer, and now that I finally have a break where I can work on this, I injured my shoulder. Sad

I promise, I WILL start working on this as soon as possible, if for no other reason than the person I am making this for keeps poking me and asking about it. Tongue
(07-05-2015, 12:29 PM)ableman33 Wrote: Sorry for the long delay folks.  I got crazy busy with teaching this summer, and now that I finally have a break where I can work on this, I injured my shoulder.   Sad

I promise, I WILL start working on this as soon as possible, if for no other reason than the person I am making this for keeps poking me and asking about it.  Tongue

Poke! Poke! Big Grin
May the Elements be with you! - OrientDM
All right, geez.. (rubs poked arm).   Tongue

Step one.  Tidy work space.

[Image: 19293013350_9fdd09a84f_z.jpg]

[Image: 19480549545_59416ff7e7_z.jpg]

That's better. Smile

Next step.  Finalize design and grab some materials...
Good start!

Keep it up!