Stackable Magnetic Pyramid Terrain
Thanks for the encouragement SethDrallitoc. Smile

Unfortunately, this shoulder injury is really getting in the way. I managed to shop around and get more of the materials I needed (and some stuff for expanding the workshop, details later), but in the process I aggravated things by pushing too hard too quickly. Sad

I was really hoping that I'd be able to share more progress before now. This whole "getting all excited then suddenly having to slam on the brakes" thing has been really frustrating.

Thanks everyone for your patience. Those familiar with my work can attest that I am usually much faster at this once I start a project. Tongue
(07-05-2015, 12:29 PM)ableman33 Wrote: Sorry for the long delay folks.  I got crazy busy with teaching this summer, and now that I finally have a break where I can work on this, I injured my shoulder.   Sad

Ouch.  Cry  I had missed that detail. Are we talking arm-in-sling? Get better.

Nothing that serious. It seems to be a strained muscle sometimes pulling on/pinching/irritating a nerve causing the space between my shoulders to go numb/tingly.

If it was worse I'd be better about not overdoing it so it could heal properly. As it is, it keeps getting just well enough that I start doing too much and set back the healing process. I'm surrounded by stuff that I want to DO and it drives me crazy just leaving it all sitting there. Rolleyes

As long as I don't bend over/look down while using my arms for anything I'm pretty much fine. Now if I could figure out how to use a saw with my toes while looking at the ceiling...

Hopefully if I take it easy this week, I'll be good to start up building by next weekend.

Happy building everyone. Smile
I received some inspiration images from the person I'm building the terrain for to get my mind thinking about possible details while I'm not able to actually build. Smile

[Image: 19717392076_f41b94c4ff_o.jpg]

[Image: 19122684943_8e9e9f38cd_o.jpg]

[Image: 19122684923_fb27d56698_o.jpg]

I'm not sure how much longer I can stand being idle. Big Grin
I'm not sure how much longer we can stand you being idle.

How is the healing going?
[+] 1 user Likes SethDrallitoc's post
@ SethDrallitoc -

The shoulder is pretty much good to go. In fact, I had planned to get started on some light modeling this evening, but a moderate migraine decided to come for a visit.  Angry

I'm busy during the day for the next two weeks, but I plan to start plugging away at this a little each evening as I can.

The pyramids will be built!   Big Grin
You ought to check this out:
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/59499-3d-terrain-boards/
Somebody is building quite the battletech terrain board and posting it on Reaper's web forums.

Finally, after more than five weeks of waiting, I managed to actually begin work on this project. Smile

I cut out the bases for each level from 1/4 inch luan plywood.  These will be reinforced later with wooden walls hidden as part of the steps to make them stiffer.

[Image: 19359639014_8bf66d7fe1_o.jpg]

Joining us again for this project is scout trooper (on a one inch square base for reference).

Those with keen eyes might notice that our scout trooper has lost his head.

[Image: 19361290903_421d04a54e_o.jpg]

This was a result of not letting a wookie win at a charity picnic sack race.

[Image: 19359639034_bd74504cf3_o.jpg]

[Image: 19987467291_db24bcbf4c_o.jpg]

But a little thing like an absent cranium doesn't stop our intrepid scout trooper from helping with our projects!   Big Grin  Onward!!

I used some plastic cups to get a feel for how these layers will look stacked up.  Each gap is a little taller than it will be in the final version, but it's close enough to get an idea.

[Image: 19794270990_3d970de9c9_o.jpg]

To get a better idea of what this will look like, I ran some tape along the edges to see the outline.  I rather like the look. Smile

[Image: 19794199538_f190a534b9_o.jpg]

[Image: 19956018896_cf85f7e2a6_o.jpg]

[Image: 19974548422_75bd23f1e8_o.jpg]

That's it for tonight.  Tomorrow the stiffening walls!   Smile
[+] 2 users Like ableman33's post
Oooo! So exciting! That will look amazing!! Tell Storm Trooper that he can't have it for his next Star base, though, and not having a head will not garner any sympathy on the subject....
May the Elements be with you! - OrientDM
Is the spacing between levels going to be set to the exact heights of those cups?