Scale Rulers
I came across a company that makes scale rulers in most of the scales anyone around here would use.

Rulers-of-the-World makes rulers for gaming scales from 1:6 (GI Joe) to 1:10000 (SFB) and everything in between. Also make rulers for all train scales, dollhouse scales, airplane & boat scales; pretty much anything built to scale.

All rulers come in 3 lengths, can be metric or imperial, and cost between $5 and $13.

If you scratchbuild models, you may want to check these out.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
(06-19-2015, 04:12 PM)Tob Wrote: I came across a company that makes scale rulers in most of the scales anyone around here would use.

Rulers-of-the-World makes rulers for gaming scales from 1:6 (GI Joe) to 1:10000 (SFB) and everything in between.  Also make rulers for all train scales, dollhouse scales, airplane & boat scales; pretty much anything built to scale.  

All rulers come in 3 lengths, can be metric or imperial, and cost between $5 and $13.

I am disappointed that they did not have 1:1200, the grandfather scale. (Edit! they do have it, but it is filed under Ship Scales) I can't find  1:60. But they did have 1:120 assigned to 15mm figures. So, kudos to them for that.

I also see that they had 28mm pegged to 1:65. I might research that / check their math and consider adding it to my chart.

I've made a few scale rulers for myself before. They are useful to have, especially for those "fit to page" models that have no real scale.
(06-19-2015, 09:02 PM)Caleb Wrote: I've made a few scale rulers for myself before. They are useful to have, especially for those "fit to page" models that have no real scale.

Whatsa "fit to page" model?

(06-20-2015, 01:06 PM)pendrake Wrote: Whatsa "fit to page" model?

I believe he refers to a type of model plan more common in ship and railroad modeling.  My dad and his garden railway cronies use these a lot.  Imagine a plan for a model that is just technical drawings but doesn't have any actual measurements.  I know, this is kind of counterintuitive, BUT it allows you to build the model in whatever scale you want.  Using these rulers would speed this process up since you don't have to do any math problems - just measure the plan with the scale ruler and build away.
Because there are a lot of railroad (and ship) scales, this technique also saves the plan maker time and energy since they only have to make one plan.

About 20 minutes after I sent my dad the link, I got an email from him that he was ordering rulers in his railroad scales.  Which in turn means I'll be painting buildings soon.
That's about right Tob.
A plan where the final dimension of the project is more dependant on the size of the plywood one has in their shop than a desire to have a specific scale.
(06-19-2015, 06:58 PM)pendrake Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 04:12 PM)Tob Wrote: I came across a company that makes scale rulers in most of the scales anyone around here would use.

Rulers-of-the-World makes rulers for gaming scales from 1:6 (GI Joe) to 1:10000 (SFB) and everything in between.  Also make rulers for all train scales, dollhouse scales, airplane & boat scales; pretty much anything built to scale.  

I am disappointed that they did not have 1:1200, the grandfather scale. (Edit! they do have it, but it is filed under Ship Scales) I can't find  1:60. But they did have 1:120 assigned to 15mm figures. So, kudos to them for that.

I also see that they had 28mm pegged to 1:65. I might research that / check their math and consider adding it to my chart.
(12-30-2015, 08:46 AM)Sir John Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 06:58 PM)pendrake Wrote:

We do make all the scales you mention, and specifically for Gamers.
Regarding the Soldier mm size vs actual ratio: This has always be Questionable/Disputed/Opinions etc. etc.
Is it the height of the soldier to his eyes, or top of his head, or top of his hat ??? consider some of their headgear... WOW !!!
Is he a chubby little Roman or a Zulu ???
After a lot of research and discussions we settled on the gaming sizes as shown on our webpage.... BUT...
we will make ANY scale for ANY hobby.
E.G. for some pernickety model train chaps, we went to 2 places of decimals.
Happy gaming.
Sir John