Mother Nature is a wicked miniature builder
While innocently pulling weeds this weekend, I stumbled across a couple of tiny colonies. They don't look like much from afar...
[Image: f1bfd6a3-c2fe-4b05-9c2f-c10598cc9610.jpg]

But if you get down by the ground, they are amazing. This is the patch on the right:
[Image: 20150703_123516.jpg]

It was only about 3 inches wide.
[Image: 20150703_123405.jpg]

And the patch on the left.
[Image: 20150703_123234.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like MellyMonkey's post
The things above are reflected in the things below. And vice versa, as ours is a fractal universe.
Wow! Copy it for the competition? Big Grin
That is a thing of beauty. Anyone know what it is? Or are the olde ones invading again?
Yep, Nature is awesome!
I love the small, ill-known species. The pictures you posted are mosses and liverwort.

I am not an expert on these species, but I remember a few things about them.
The "palm-trees" that you can see on the pictures are sexual reproductive organs (like flowers) called gametophores of liverwort.
The cup-like things on the liverwort's "leaves" are asexual reproductive organs.

The furry-looking mosses are actual mosses, with brown gametophores sprouting from them.

Unlike mammals like us, their life-cycle consists mostly in haploid individuals, meaning that all the "plants" you can see on the pictures only have one set of genetic material (like a sperm cell or an egg-cell)!

I hope this reply will not sound too boring, I just wanted to share a few facts, and say that we don't need to look on distant planets to find funny, alien-looking species.
Whatever the technical details, Good Ol' Earth is packed with a lot of tiny wonders for your viewing pleasure... and artistic inspiration!

Thanks Melly for sharing these pictures with us!
Similar inspiration can be drawn from some lychens:
[Image: 330px-Cladonia-fimbriata%28Trompetenflechte%292.jpg]

Pollen:
[Image: LilySEM.jpg]
Fungi (here is a Clathrus):
[Image: 479px-Clathrus_crispus.jpg]

or vorticella (microscipic beings -- not algae!):
[Image: 435px-Haeckel_Ciliata.jpg]
(Images from Wikipedia)
Not boring at all; I love facts! Smile Thanks for sharing. I'll probably only retain a small fraction of them, but it's still fun to hear initially.
I found this at lab on Monday. Although I recognised it at first glance, I couldn't help picturing it as an interesting terrain piece.
[Image: Iris01.jpg]
[Image: Iris02.jpg]
[Image: Iris03.jpg]
In case you're wondering, these are bamboo or giant cane rhizomes (i.e. underground crawling stems).
I think they are too big for using them as is, but it would be interesting to try to build smaller version to include in a swamp terrain.
[+] 1 user Likes Mangouste's post
Aaaaaarrgh, RHIZOMES!!! They are why killing the damn Trumpet Vine that the previous owners foolishly planted has taken me the better part of two years. And it STILL requires vigilance!
[+] 1 user Likes Munin's post