Bench and Bridge
So I thought I'd post up some pics from the bench and bridge I made for one of my pieces. I took some pictures of the process in case people are interested in that sort of thing.

[Image: IMG_1913-001.jpg] [Image: IMG_1916-001.jpg]

I cut some slats for the seat from a stir stick and gave them a light wash. I traced the side of the bench out on the stick and used it as a guide for filing the shape. From that shape, I made a silicone mold and cast copies.

[Image: IMG_1942.jpg]

I tried it with both liquid polymer clay and normal clay polymer clay, though I found I really didn't have a preference at all.

[Image: IMG_1954.jpg]

I made mirrored sides and added a rim to each to support the wood planks. They were kind of a pain, but doable.

[Image: IMG_1955.jpg] 
[Image: IMG_1961.jpg]

The bridge is really the same technique, except this time I just sculpted the shape out of snakes of clay instead of carving it out of wood first to see if it made any really big difference.

[Image: IMG_1969.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1972.jpg]

Honestly, it really didn't make much difference that you can see at this size. So maybe it would if I was making it bigger though.

[Image: IMG_2017.jpg]

Here they are in a setting. (This is from my project in another thread, but in case you didn't see that, this is their finished use.)
As I read:

"They're not making the type of bench I think they're making, are they?"

...read,..scroll,...read...

"Holy carp, they ARE!"

STORNRY! Absolutely extraordinary work. Excellent technique.
Ha, thanks. I originally thought I'd make it of paper but in the end I couldn't resist trying it with wood. I think I've seen it so much at this point that I am just seeing the places to improve but I'm glad for the compliment giving me a little confidence.

Smile
(07-16-2015, 04:26 AM)BlueMeander Wrote: ... I took some pictures of the process in case people are interested in that sort of thing...

Always!

This is awesomely tiny, tiny detail work. I need to get some tweezers like that. The only thing that sticks out to me is that the wood looks so fresh & unfinished. That could be what you're going for, but maybe a dark brown/black wash on the wooden bits would tone it down a bit so it looks like it has weathered the elements.
(07-21-2015, 10:30 AM)MellyMonkey Wrote: This is awesomely tiny, tiny detail work. I need to get some tweezers like that. The only thing that sticks out to me is that the wood looks so fresh & unfinished. That could be what you're going for, but maybe a dark brown/black wash on the wooden bits would tone it down a bit so it looks like it has weathered the elements.

People keep telling me that. I originally gave them a light brown wash and thought they were dark but was told I should weather them so clearly it wasn't standing out enough. I filed some areas and added some darker brown in spots but if it's still looking too fresh I must need to go more heavy handed than I am. Truth is I've never really done that and I wasn't quite sure exactly how to go about it so I was probably being too tentative. I'll look at some pictures of wood and stuff and err on the side of more obvious once I feel more sure what I'm actually supposed to do to make that effect. 

The tweezers are alright. They match up fairly well and aren't too big. I do have some that are more fine but these are not too bad. I got them for free with a nail art set. For 10$ you get 48 bottles of random bits (some of which are useful in miniatures) and then the tiny bottles. Plus the tweezers. They're not 10$ tweezers on their own, but if the other stuff interests you it's a fair deal. I did do some pretty epic nails too. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LYB2E4/ref=sr_ph_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ie=UTF8&qid=1437600493&sr=1&keywords=shany+nail+art
The trick with weathered wood isn't to make it brown, but rather to make it almost gray. I find painting it medium- to dark-grey, then drybrushing up almost to white, then hitting it with a VERY thin (and unevenly applied) brown wash achieves a nice effect.
[+] 1 user Likes Munin's post
White vinegar and wire wool. Put wire wool in vinegar leave for 4 days - paint balsa wood with 4 day old vinegar/steel mixture = instant aged wood.
[+] 1 user Likes SethDrallitoc's post