Modular Fence System
Hello all,

this is my first post on the new forums - I just realized that I did not build any terrain since one year...  Blush

In our recent game (and first ever) of Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd edition it became apparent that my supply of linear obstacles is quite limited - the walls you see on the photos in the AAR are all that I have. Among them only three corner pieces and no gates. Also, I do not have any sections to represent destroyed parts - which would have been of use with the cannon rules. Besides, these walls were done around 1998 - a time when my skill was a lot less developed than today.

Lets do some terrain!

What I do not like about many linear obstacles that you find pictures of online or which are even available to buy, is to recognize them as linear wargame modules. To illustrate what I mean lets take a look at the first fences I built for Warhammer 40,000 many many years ago:

[Image: OldFences.jpg]

The way the fence posts are placed is not as you would find them in reality, the posts would be evenly spaced, not two near each other as where two sections meet in the model fence.

So when designing my new fantasy fences, I thought of how to design them to disguise the obvious joins of the sections. The joins will be visible anyway, as there will be a physical join and I probably will not manage to line them up perfectly - what I am trying to achieve is to not have the joins obvious at first glance.

In the end I settled for the following design (designed in OpenSCAD):

[Image: single.png]

The idea is, that the half posts on both ends join up to form a full post, like in the following two pictures:

[Image: double.png]

[Image: corner.png]

The balsa wood for the posts and logs is ordered, the base plates I plan to get from the local DIY store. I will ask for sheets of 5mm MDF in 6" width - this way all the sections will have the same width. The long sides I will then cut by hand to get them  in irregular shapes.

Let's see how this will turn out.

Do you have any comment, critique or suggestion on this design idea?
(07-28-2015, 04:42 PM)matthiasstein Wrote: Hello all,

Do you have any comment, critique or suggestion on this design idea?

Yes. I am picturing a different design with simpler corners. And fewer posts. Should I try drawing it up?

If it is not to much hassle, yes please. I will certainly consider your input.
(07-29-2015, 02:33 AM)matthiasstein Wrote: If it is not to much hassle, yes please. I will certainly consider your input.

OK, had to crash and get some sleep. But drawing something now. Luckily I had an isometric drawing open (... like people do  Rolleyes ).

(Edit: And, finished the drawing.. ..see further down.)

Your pics look too clean and uniform - whilst most fences probably do get built this way, they don't stay like it - yours are for fantasy?

I made mine using wooden tongue depressors as you can see below.
[Image: imag0459-jpg.3089]

A bit of tissue paper and glue to give a little contour to the base.
[Image: imag0463-jpg.3092]

[Image: imag0470-jpg.3181]

Only have 2 so far, but I do plan on building a lot more in the near future Smile
[+] 1 user Likes djmothra's post
For clarity only half the base is shown:
[Image: fence_zpsbajtyehs.png]
This is about the same concept that DJM posted above. But with: fence posts 'uniformly' spaced, the six inch segment length you were planning on, the doubled-post style of construction you had sketched. It is still four verticals per 6 inch section (same number as your concept) but placed differently.

The corners can be simpler though, just a square with a large post for the rails to butt into. Hmm, for that to work each base needs to be shortened so the rails project into the corner a bit. Another corner option with these fence sections would be a stack of stone blocks. Sorta like this:

[Image: Fence-in-Providence.jpg]
...but shorter.

(07-29-2015, 06:36 AM)djmothra Wrote: Your pics look too clean and uniform - whilst most fences probably do get built this way, they don't stay like it - yours are for fantasy?

Yes, definitely, but I am not skilled enough to make them broken and used in the cad programm. The pictures are just meant to show the general layout.
Besides buidling broken sections, I will use a square 8mm wood to cut freehand the 4mm posts, then I will roughen these up additionally. The logs will also not be left perfectly round but given dents, sagging between post, oblique posts, etc. The only straight edges on the posts I planned to do are where two sections meet. Same holds true for the bases.

They will be used mainly for Fantasy, correct.
(07-29-2015, 07:08 AM)pendrake Wrote: This is about the same concept that DJM posted above. But with: fence posts 'uniformly' spaced, the six inch segment length you were planning on, the doubled-post style of construction you had sketched.

Thanks! This is the concept I thought of initially, but then I decided against it, as:

1. I am not sure I wil be able to construct the sections this way and have the three rails line up perfectly where two sections join in mid-air - in my design the rails' touching point would be hidden by the half-posts.
  2. I am also not sure if the rails will not sag over time if left free hanging at the sides.
  3. When thinking of broken/destroyed sections, my concept also gives more freedom in my opinion, as the only fixed points would be the half-posts at each end. Between them I am free to do what I want. In your design, the way I see it I would definitely need the two posts to line up the rails left and right; the only broken part I could build would be between the posts. Alternatively, the ends would need to angel down from the points the section meet at, resting at the ground. Such a breaking in a rail would not happen in reality I think, and would also make the alignment even more difficult - the more so as the angling parts would have a larger area at the join then the straight parts (due to the angle of the cut).

What do you think about these points? Am I missing something obvious?

(07-29-2015, 07:08 AM)pendrake Wrote: It is still four verticals per 6 inch section (same number as your concept) but placed differently.

Well, no, mine is actually only three posts; 2 full and 2 two half Smile
I bought the MDF sheets last week, and started Saturday to work on the bases. The ordered balsa wood was on backorder, but should arrive this week as well.

[Image: IMG_20150808_120019.jpg]

I started to cut the boards using my Proxxon KG50 using the spacer. This makes sure the connecting edges are all the same width.

[Image: IMG_20150808_120230.jpg]

The rest of the way I cut with a coping saw.

[Image: IMG_20150808_120949.jpg]

The undersides where then sanded, so they were flat.

[Image: IMG_20150810_190640.jpg]

Next I drew two lines on the top side, the area between them will remain flat, the area to the outside will be sloped down.

[Image: IMG_20150810_191003.jpg]

I started the sloping by cutting a ~20° (the diagonal from the lower corner to the line marked on top from the center 10mm strip) angle at each corner, again to make the seam between two segments as even as possible.

[Image: IMG_20150810_191321.jpg]

The rest was cut freehand and then sanded.

[Image: IMG_20150810_195051.jpg]

All pieces done so far:

[Image: IMG_20150810_202145.jpg]
I worked on some more bases today, I have 20 in total ready, now I need to wait for the balsa wood.

[Image: IMG_20150811_190822.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like matthiasstein's post