Modular Fence System
You could use popsiclestick sticks for the fence with modular bases, but if you're interested in a more realistic look, usually fences have cylindrical posts and then rectangular boards. It'll depend on your scale but I like to use squewer sticks that they use for cooking. If you're looking for a larger scale I know that here in the States Hobby Lobby sells all these little wooden post like things but I don't think they're dirt cheap and they're perfectly round. I find it looks kind of unnatural so for a more farm/country look I like to take a small rectangular piece of wood and carve it into a semi-cylindrical shape. I generally find glueing is fine but if you're going for a larger scale or more realism you could represent nails using some gauge wire or solder ( for larger scales ).
(11-29-2015, 06:55 PM)Kevin Wrote: [...]usually fences have cylindrical posts and then rectangular boards.
[...]I like to take a small rectangular piece of wood and carve it into a semi-cylindrical shape.

As for the general shape, I cannot use round poles anymore as all my straight pieces have square poles already.

For my posts I used 8mm square balsa and cut it freehand into 4mm posts to get irregular shapes and not have them look like industrially manufactured ones.
(12-01-2015, 06:16 AM)matthiasstein Wrote:
(11-29-2015, 06:55 PM)Kevin Wrote: [...]usually fences have cylindrical posts and then rectangular boards.
[...]I like to take a small rectangular piece of wood and carve it into a semi-cylindrical shape.

As for the general shape, I cannot use round poles anymore as all my straight pieces have square poles already.

For my posts I used 8mm square balsa and cut it freehand into 4mm posts to get irregular shapes and not have them look like industrially manufactured ones.

I see  Smile I just was posting this in case anyone else wanted to make a modular fence system and was looking at this thread, it also depends on the look you're going for  Smile
The edge sections are done.

[Image: IMG_20151204_074632.jpg]

The last type of section I wanted to build are end pieces, that only connect on one side to another fence section.

[Image: IMG_20151204_075753.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20151204_080124.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20151204_081021.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20151204_161620.jpg]

All the sections I wanted to build for now are done, next up is painting them.
[+] 1 user Likes matthiasstein's post
This project is sitting on my desk for too long, I need to get this finished.

I painted the to be flocked areas green, the sandy areas brown, the fences and path areas black-brown. The colour on the fences was only applied to soak the wood with cheap DIY store paints, rather than with the expensive model paints I will use to paint them.

[Image: IMG_20160618_115740.jpg]

The sand areas where then highlighted.

[Image: IMG_20160618_172456.jpg]

I then started to paint the pebbles and larger sand corns in two greys, which will then be drybrushed in the same light grey.

[Image: IMG_20160619_214409.jpg]
I can't get over how much work that is. You have some real patience! Nice stuff. : )
(06-19-2016, 08:01 PM)BlueMeander Wrote: I can't get over how much work that is. You have some real patience! Nice stuff. : )

What she said! But seriously nice work matthiasstein.
Individually painted rocks. You have my salute. Big Grin

Nice work. Smile
Thank you all Smile

(06-19-2016, 08:01 PM)BlueMeander Wrote: I can't get over how much work that is. You have some real patience!

Ja, well, that is always the problem. If I would have started with like 3 sections, I would have finished them within a week. But these would for sure have been the only 3 I ever did... Forcing me to do such a large batch at once, it takes some time, I loose interest somewhen (which here resulted in a half year break from the project), but in the end I have the number of pieces I planned to have... That is the best trick I found so far to defeat my own inner self...

(06-20-2016, 09:45 AM)ableman33 Wrote: Individually painted rocks. You have my salute. Big Grin
Big Grin

I finished painting the stones, then touched up the green.

[Image: IMG_20160620_223814.jpg]

Here a close-up.

[Image: IMG_20160620_223730.jpg]

Done Smile

Well... not yet, the main part (the fences themselves) are up next.
I did the first test section. I basecoated the fence in

+   AK783 Weathered Wood

I then added some moss by drybrushing lighty from underneath and around the posts where they meet the ground with

+   70.968 Flat Green

The wood was then brushed from above with

+   AK787 Medium Grey
+   AK785 Middle Grey
+   AK784 Light Grey

[Image: IMG_20160624_154725.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160624_160309.jpg]

I like the result and think I will go with that as the base colour, especially the half posts where the sections connect. I will vary the colour on the sections, like freshly replaced beams etc, adding washes here and there, but I think this will be the main colour scheme.

What do you think?
[+] 1 user Likes matthiasstein's post