Modelling water - Advice please?
If water isn't modelled well it can really let down the overall look of your scenery piece. So my question is what materials do you use for water? How do you make it look really good? What processes do you use? How can you change the processes for sea or freshwater, still or rough water? Do you have any links to a good tutorial? Thanks Wink
(11-23-2015, 11:40 AM)OntaOhta Wrote: So my question is what materials do you use for water? How do you make it look really good? What processes do you use?

The techniques and materials used for simulating water are going to depend specifically on the type of water being modeled; waves on a beach are different than a mosquito-infested swamp. However, the favorite material around here tends to be Envirotex Lite because it's easy to use, doesn't smell horrible, and is safe for most modeling environments (won't react).
Woodland Scenic's Water Effects seems to run a close second.

As for techniques on how to "make it look really good", these things depend on what you want the end product to be and as there are many examples of water, there are many techniques to achieve these examples. If you have a specific example you're trying to achieve, post that information here and many people will chime in with suggestions. It is less likely anyone will want to spend a few hours writing you a general primer.

Are you trying to make a river, pond, or beach? If you look around here on TG, you'll find people who have done these projects and you can pick up a lot of good tips just by reading their posts. If you have a specific question, ask! We've all done some kinds of water before and can help you avoid disasters.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
For rough or moving water I've found that I like to use caulk from the hardware store. It's thicker and keeps it's shape so you can sculpt it into waves or rippling water. You can buy a "crystal clear' version that is completely see through and slightly glossy when dried. If you buy an acrylic, paintable version, you can mix in paints or washes before applying to help give it some dimension or dirty feel, or paint the crests of your waves white. Plus after it's dried, it's fairly durable and bounces back when rouge dice go crashing into it. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes MellyMonkey's post
Terranscapes has done a lot of work with water effects and has done some pretty in depth videos on it. From what he's shown, liquitex medium gloss gel (not varnish and gel, just jel) works pretty well for shaping realistic waves. Here's a link to his youtube channel. He's also been experimenting with some type of silicon. The problem with caulking at least as he demonstrated in the video is it seems to be pretty cloudy, liquitex is nearly crystal clear. Last time I looked at one of his sea scape videos he had settled on making a wave resign cast with some pretty amazing results though I find that route to be pretty expensive personally. Normally what I do is put down layers of water effects from GW or Woodland Scenics, then after I get the bulk up to what I want, I use the liquitex for making waves and ripples on the water.