Hello, hello . . .
Hello, hello . . . is there anybody on line?
Just post if you can read me . . .
Is there anyone at home?
(with apologies to Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb)

Why so few competition entries?

I do not want to be the I remember back in the old days of Terragenesis type of member, but I recall some competitions use to have entries in double figures.
Is the entry mechanism too complicated?
Are the criteria to restrictive?
Is there a general apathy to the idea of competitions?

I no longer build terrain . . . long story, but Steampunk clothes and accessories have taken over. However, I still regularly log onto TG and I am saddened with the lack of competition entries (and posts generally).

Any suggestions as to why this has happened (comments from older members of TG particularly welcome!).

Please make time to reply to this post, I am sure that positive suggestions would be of immense help to Terragenesis . . .
(11-28-2015, 02:59 PM)New Grumpy One Wrote: I no longer build terrain . . .

There's one reason right there.

I don't think there is a real answer to your question - it could be many different reasons - ones that I have come up with are...

The pot has been diluted - back when when TG reigned supreme, there were only a few other sites doing similar - now there are loads....especially the...

...Facebook - aka Instant Gratification. You spend months making a terrain piece, put it on here and no one looks, but on FB you can get a ***** ton of likes and comments in little time.

DMScotty/DMG/Wyloch (whilst good) have spawned a host of other "crafting" gurus - who would rather get likes and subscribers to their YouTube pages. (Yes, it has been suggested that the TG community could do similar, but nought has happened with that yet - and yes, I know, I'm guilty of that too)

the Old Site still exists and STILL does not have anything on the main page pointing visitors here (only a small post of the now defunct forum) - even though it was suggested aaaages ago. (Seriously, Do it, how many peeps come here and say something along the lines of "I went to the old site and thought it had died" Yes, yes it has)

Older Generation vs Younger Generation - perhaps the young'uns would rather make stuff on Minecraft nowadays?

The Idea for competitions itself hasn't died - I run the competition entries over on YakTribe Gaming - a site that is pretty much only for the old GW games: Necromunda, Mordheim and GorkaMorka and we regularly get double number entries every month.

There are no answers above - there is a great suggestion to perhaps point people here though (that I made months and months ago)

I look forward to reading you guys and gals opinions too!
(11-29-2015, 01:59 AM)djmothra Wrote:

I don't think there is a real answer to your question - it could be many different reasons - ones that I have come up with are...

The pot has been diluted - back when when TG reigned supreme, there were only a few other sites doing similar - now there are loads....especially the...

...Facebook - aka Instant Gratification. You spend months making a terrain piece, put it on here and no one looks, but on FB you can get a ***** ton of likes and comments in little time.

DMScotty/DMG/Wyloch (whilst good) have spawned a host of other "crafting" gurus - who would rather get likes and subscribers to their YouTube pages. (Yes, it has been suggested that the TG community could do similar, but nought has happened with that yet - and yes, I know, I'm guilty of that too)

the Old Site still exists and STILL does not have anything on the main page pointing visitors here (only a small post of the now defunct forum) - even though it was suggested aaaages ago. (Seriously, Do it, how many peeps come here and say something along the lines of "I went to the old site and thought it had died" Yes, yes it has)

Older Generation vs Younger Generation - perhaps the young'uns would rather make stuff on Minecraft nowadays?

The Idea for competitions itself hasn't died - I run the competition entries over on YakTribe Gaming - a site that is pretty much only for the old GW games: Necromunda, Mordheim and GorkaMorka and we regularly get double number entries every month.

There are no answers above - there is a great suggestion to perhaps point people here though (that I made months and months ago)

I'm 19 here in the US and the main issue here is economics. It's simply pretty damn expensive to get into and miniatures are not well known here. Games Workshop and Hobby Stores are places you more find on Google than a Sunday stroll. Furthermore, a lot of these game stores fail to reach out to a younger more connected audience. The majority of hobby shops in my area don't even have websites or social media accounts. This may seem like a luxury but it's essential to rope a young person in before they take the time to drive over there to look. I can assure you that most of us who are old enough to be working with hot wire cutters aren't more fascinated with minecraft than terrain though video games are a pretty large alternative to terrain making. I feel until the economy gets to a point where people feel like they have time to spare (which grows increasingly smaller as we grow more "connected" to work, school, friends, and keeping up with the latest trends) and our prospects increase (lower college tuition, stable job, etc.) it's in that kind of climate that hobbies flourish, and that climate has been sorely lacking in the US.  
(11-29-2015, 04:59 AM)Kevin Wrote:
(11-29-2015, 01:59 AM)djmothra Wrote:

I'm 19 here in the US and the main issue here is economics. It's simply pretty damn expensive to get into and miniatures are not well known here. Games Workshop and Hobby Stores are places you more find on Google than a Sunday stroll. Furthermore, a lot of these game stores fail to reach out to a younger more connected audience. The majority of hobby shops in my area don't even have websites or social media accounts. This may seem like a luxury but it's essential to rope a young person in before they take the time to drive over there to look. I can assure you that most of us who are old enough to be working with hot wire cutters aren't more fascinated with minecraft than terrain though video games are a pretty large alternative to terrain making. I feel until the economy gets to a point where people feel like they have time to spare (which grows increasingly smaller as we grow more "connected" to work, school, friends, and keeping up with the latest trends) and our prospects increase (lower college tuition, stable job, etc.) it's in that kind of climate that hobbies flourish, and that climate has been sorely lacking in the US.