Creating Crop Fields?
Hello TG!

I'm not exactly new to hobbying but I'm new to making terrain. I've been wanting to make a kind of country farmhouse setting but one obstacle is the actual farmland. Wheat seems to be the classic option but so far the only advice I've gotten on it is from an old GW book on how to make wargames terrain and it suggests cutting up a coarse welcome mat and using that as modular wheat fields. I was just wondering if there were any other ideas/tutorials out there and if perhaps not for wheat then tutorials/suggestions for making crop fields for other types of foods like potatoes, carrots, etc. Thanks again!
(11-29-2015, 05:16 AM)Kevin Wrote: I was just wondering if there were any other ideas/tutorials out there...

Oh yes.  We've all run into this issue at some point, and eventually welcome mats and fur just don't cut it anymore.

Recently I've begun using Darice Canadian Pine Stems to make corn fields.  These "pine stems" are a small holiday garland similar to a chenille stem pip cleaner but made from vinyl and can be found this time of year wherever holiday decorations/supplies are sold.  They are normally about 3/4" in diameter, so I just trim them down to about 1/4" and then cut them in 3/4" to 1" lengths (for 1/72 scale).  Then it's just a matter of sticking them into a base.  Bingo, corn field.

[Image: DSCN2921.JPG]

This small corn field is about 4x6 inches and about an inch tall.  The base is a scrap of foam.

[Image: corn.JPG]

This 10 piece package cost about $3 and yielded 160 cornstalks.  The cornfield in the first photo used 5 pine stems.

There are many other techniques for various other crops.  Being as I wargame as cheaply as possible, I found this technique to be a very fast and cheap way to go.  If you want to spend more time and/or money, there are other options, most of which consist of making furrow bases and adding individual plants.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
Thank you so much! This is perfect!
I've been pondering the same issue.  In addition to going the pine route TOB mentioned, I've also been pondering this:

http://miniatureaddiction.info/diy-28mm-corn-field/

It looks like a little more work, though. 
[+] 1 user Likes Bookawar's post
(11-30-2015, 11:07 AM)Bookawar Wrote: I've been pondering the same issue.  In addition to going the pine route TOB mentioned, I've also been pondering this:

http://miniatureaddiction.info/diy-28mm-corn-field/

It looks like a little more work, though. 

That also works great too! Achieves a similar effect to the pine leaves idea without using primer (because now that I think about it the pine is a little too glossy for my taste so I'd probably prime it with a matte paint and dry brush from there)
Some corrugated card with one side taken off - would make very quick furrows for the field - materials are dirt cheap. If you wanted Carrots for example, you could just glue on a little amount of clump foliage every 1cm or something.
[+] 2 users Like djmothra's post
Screwed up balls of tin-foil + painted green = Cabbages.