0%
0 0%
ABANDONED SERVICE STATION - ExtraEvilDave
88.89%
8 88.89%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Comp VI: FINAL ENTRIES
Please post your final entries to the Roadside Competition in this thread.

Be sure to give yourself enough time before the close of the competition in case there are any issues posting. This thread will be LOCKED at the end of the day, Tuesday, October 22nd. Ended (Please note: due to my tardiness getting a final entry thread posted an additional day has been added to the submission deadline.)

Final entries should be entered with photos that are large, crisp, and well lit. Members will be allowed a maximum of 5 photos per entry. Competition submissions also require a brief description of the materials used, completed size, intended final purpose and a link to your WIP thread.

Observers are encouraged to give comments & critiques in the user's WIP thread in an effort to keep this thread organized with submissions only. Voting will be open for 5 days after the entry deadline. Good luck!
TRAIN STATION at El ALAMEIN

A train station in Egypt, circa September 1942. The British Commonwealth army have stood their ground at the First Battle of El Alamein, halting Rommel's advance towards the Suez Canal. Both sides dug in, laid mines, and fortified their positions to await resupply. A lonely commonwealth soldier carved the word "Heaven" on the wall of the train station, gallows humor for the coming Second Battle of El Alamein.

[Image: Finished%20with%20%20figures_zpsi33bnwqn.jpg]
[Image: Finished%20Oblique_zpsh80v1acl.jpg]
[Image: Finished%20Pop%20culture%20detail_zpsw3a7tjry.jpg]
Motel  California Sign

[Image: 23775412862_04695df108_z.jpg]

This was made as a decorative piece for use in 28mm gaming for pretty much any time from the 1950's onward.

The main sign body is made from 10mm foamcard with additional card covering all the exposed foam areas.  The bear was cut from 5mm foamboard and the star was made from a pin and several layers of card.

The signs wording was printed with a couple of Googie style fonts onto a background of rusting painted metal and the amenities list made of a couple of layers of 225gsm card.  Everything was painted to give it a rusting and aging look.

The base is made of 5mm cork surrounded by a wall made of textured 5mm foamboard.  The plants were made from an assortment of mainly Woodland Scenics products and some kind of crafty florist material for the weeds.

The entire thing measures 125mm from the base to the tip of the star, and has a footprint of 75mm by 45mm.

The optional pop culture reference is of course bit of wordplay on the song title that inspired the motel name.
The bear and the star emblem are from the California state flag. 

[Image: 23801266861_a235bff45f_z.jpg]

[Image: 23883747025_37520ef02c_z.jpg]

[Image: 23775415422_e946a8ff47_z.jpg]

WIP Link
World war 2 bocage road:

These 1/72 terrain pieces are made for a world war 2 wargame I'm making. The bocage, walls and fences are all made in smaller pieces instead of one big diorama for 2 reasons: flexibility of the layout and because I want to have 'destructable' terrain in my game (for example when a tank drives over the fence I can remove a fence piece).

All the terrain pieces are made from a cardboard or plasticard base with white modeling clay as 'ground'.

The stones of the walls are made with the white modeling clay as well and I added some static grass. The fences are made with cocktail sticks glued together and some static grass for the ground. For the bocage pieces I added 2 hobby train trees and some toothpicks to glue the 'bushes' on. The bushes are made from some kind of modeling moss/lichen. For the road I used a 1/72 truck, tank, halftrack and a baseless figure to add tracks and footsteps and drybrushed it to make them show up when painted.

The miniatures on the picture are just to show the scale of the project. I use 1, 2 and 5 eurocents with some white modeling clay to make bases for my figures to add weight and a nice round base.

[Image: DSC00318s.jpg]

[Image: 1zwzpsx.jpg]

[Image: DSC00330.jpg]

[Image: 2vnqd6c.jpg]

WIP link
ABANDONED SERVICE STATION

This entry was made in the Googie architecture style for 28mm gaming for any period from the 1950's onward.

It was constructed mainly from 5mm foamboard, plastic packing and card.  The roof and canopy are removable for ease of play.
It is based on a 5mm cork tile. 
The vegetation is mainly from assorted Woodland Scenics products.
[Image: 23787802182_08f94aeb8d.jpg]

[Image: 23269337053_fda540711f_z.jpg]

[Image: 23528239449_165514b8c5_z.jpg]

[Image: 23600421680_1610afa177_z.jpg]

[Image: 23787809922_bd927c9683_z.jpg]

The whole thing measures 220mm by 150mm and is 160mm tall from the base to the rocket tip.

WIP LINK
Sorry for the delay! Voting is up! It will run for the typical 5 days. This will give the winner less time to decide on the next comp theme, but I think it's going to be more important to give people ample opportunity to see the poll during the holiday times. The next comp will still begin at the 1st of January as usual.

These all look great! Thank you everyone for participating and good luck! Smile