FINAL ENTRY COMMENTS
Please post all comments on the competition entries in this thread (once they're all in of course).
Skaven Ship - Love it! It's the best thing I've ever seen!

Long Abandoned Car - Gets my vote (voting for yourself is tacky), because of that incredible paint job. So envious of the vision and skill on display there. The plantlife (something I always struggle to emulate) is amazing! This piece may suffer by being overly simple - but I like that about it.

Ye Olde Frostgrave Observatory - Great piece! The colours are a tad too vibrant for my tastes. The model is solid, stylistic and has plenty of interesting details.

Mirador Tower - Love this piece! I was not expecting it to look this great. The paintjob really makes it pop! That OSL is really effective. I think that I would have made the roof shingles smaller - because spending hours on shingles is something I really enjoy Confused . I think I would also have cut out sections where the windows and doors are. Adding flat windows and doors would break up the shape and sell the building rather than the materials it was made from.

Futuristic Aqueduct - I think Blocky went too big - too late. Concept was amazing and with the time spent on it, I think this is an incredible piece. Things got rushed there at the end though and it shows. I guess the biggest problem is - that we know what you are capable of from previous competitions.
[+] 1 user Likes SethDrallitoc's post
These were all very good. It was hard to pick just one.

The Ship was the most impressive to me due to how much of the shape had to be created from scratch. Then the way the ship had an obvious back story built into it's design really sold me.

The derelict car looked beautiful and realistic. The effort put into the flora was excellent and gave it some good character.

Both of the Frostgrave pieces have a great theme and turned out much more impressive than the initial materials and WIP pics implied. The Tower was the best of the two, being much more complicated and visually interesting.

I really liked the modular pipe set for the versatility. I would second SethDrallitoc's critique that it was too large a project started too late. But the results were wonderful and can still be added upon and tweaked to solve the things noted as less than satisfactory by the piece's creator.

I think each of these projects has given me an idea or two for my own future projects.

-DavicusPrime
[+] 2 users Like DavicusPrime's post
Skaven Ship by SethDrallitoc –  This entry doubled up on the competition theme, lots of scrounged and salvaged materials being used to make a ship, that is itself, made of scrounged and salvaged parts.
Some great construction ideas were used, like the corrugated cardboard core, woven card for the cargo hold grate and removable magnetic smoke.  I really like the contrast in building styles between the original human built ship (nice neat lines and careful building) and the skaven modifications (dangerously shoddy workmanship using rubbish materials).  As usual the real selling point, for me, is in the little details, like the ceramic rum bottles and tankard, ropes everywhere and the big red emergency stop button.

Long Abandoned Car by extraevildave –  This is the simplest bit of terrain I’ve built in quite some time, no tricky design work or careful cutting and assembling of parts, quite relaxing really.  The rusty paint job worked out well and the desert plants add a nice touch of colour.

Ye Olde Frostgrave Observatory by djmothra –  The first of two entries by djmothra.  The Pringles tube is a classic bit of terrain builders salvage but it’s the use of the other bits of scrap that stands out.  The dome is nicely done, I particularly like the machinery for rotating the dome and (presumably) the telescope and the inclusion of the runner for the dome door is a detail that seems to be forgotten by many other sliding door builders.  I also like the added detail of the icicles and especially the paintjob that creates a look of frost on the big cog.  The dark stone with a touch of snow and frost also reminds me of some real windswept mountain peaks that have the same type of colouring.  Finally the grass tufts and the sadly unmentioned ‘shrooms give a nice colour contrast to the darkness of the rock.

Mirador Tower by djmothra –  The second of djmothras entries.  I’ll concentrate on the difference between this entry and the previous one to avoid repetition.  The hanging lamp is the standout detail of this entry it really looks like it’s glowing and the source lighting (something I don’t try because I’d probably botch the whole thing) really sells it.  The windows are also good, the elongated diamond shapes of the Gelpack gives a very traditional lead glass look.      

Futuristic Aqueduct by Blocky –  An ambitious project for the time frame that fortunately just made the deadline.  In my opinion modular terrain with its flexibility and the ability to expand the collection of parts is always good value and the design of your connectors should make it relatively easy.
The mystery goo in the concrete tank looks thick and horrible, just the way it should, and it’s not some shade of green which is a nice change.  The crumbling supports are one of my favourite parts,  I really like the rundown look of them.  Once again it’s the little details that give a project life in this case it’s the short lengths of pipe, bits of wood and other abandoned scrap lying around, the box or dumpster behind the stairs and what looks like a cut off valve at the top of the stairs.  Finally the spherical storage tank and pipes really stand out on your table but don’t look out of place with the rest of the terrain which is always good.

All up a good and varied collection of entries and all of them have ideas that I'm going to use in the future.      
[+] 1 user Likes extraevildave's post
Congratulations to SethDrallitoc for taking the win with his great Skaven Ship, a worthy winner indeed.
Also well done djmothra with a credible second with his Mirador Tower.
Third place to me, Huzzah  Big Grin .
[+] 1 user Likes extraevildave's post
(02-23-2016, 03:17 PM)DavicusPrime Wrote: These were all very good.  It was hard to pick just one.

The Ship was the most impressive to me due to how much of the shape had to be created from scratch.  Then the way the ship had an obvious back story built into it's design really sold me.

The derelict car looked beautiful and realistic.  The effort put into the flora was excellent and gave it some good character.

Both of the Frostgrave pieces have a great theme and turned out much more impressive than the initial materials and WIP pics implied.  The Tower was the best of the two, being much more complicated and visually interesting.

I really liked the modular pipe set for the versatility.  I would second SethDrallitoc's critique that it was too large a project started too late.  But the results were wonderful and can still be added upon and tweaked to solve the things noted as less than satisfactory by the piece's creator.

I think each of these projects has given me an idea or two for my own future projects.

-DavicusPrime

Thanks EED. I did have a secret fear that people would consider a boat to be a miniature and not terrain. I didn't think about it until I was painting it. 
(03-03-2016, 04:12 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote:
(02-23-2016, 03:17 PM)DavicusPrime Wrote: These were all very good.  It was hard to pick just one.

The Ship was the most impressive to me due to how much of the shape had to be created from scratch.  Then the way the ship had an obvious back story built into it's design really sold me.

The derelict car looked beautiful and realistic.  The effort put into the flora was excellent and gave it some good character.

Both of the Frostgrave pieces have a great theme and turned out much more impressive than the initial materials and WIP pics implied.  The Tower was the best of the two, being much more complicated and visually interesting.

I really liked the modular pipe set for the versatility.  I would second SethDrallitoc's critique that it was too large a project started too late.  But the results were wonderful and can still be added upon and tweaked to solve the things noted as less than satisfactory by the piece's creator.

-DavicusPrime

Thanks EED. I did have a secret fear that people would consider a boat to be a miniature and not terrain. I didn't think about it until I was painting it. 

There was a long tradition of debating whether ships were "...a miniature and not terrain..." on the old TG. It usually wound up at: if some other sort of miniature (figure) can walk on it (on its decks) it is terrain; even if it is terrain that moves under its own power...

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post