Winning competitions.
Could I please get some reputation points?

I win a competition - with no prize other than doing more work - can I at least get a single point of reputation?

I seriously think that people like ExtraEvilDave, BlueMeander, TrollMeat and Myself (sorry anyone whose name I forgot... I'm relatively new) deserve to be given the reputation points.

Reputation points should be one of the rewards for participating and especially placing (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in a TG competition, surely.
I'm fairly sure they are, but I think The Wench has to do it manually...maybe *shrugs*
Wow. That post sounded really forceful and rude after rereading it. Sorry about that. It was meant as a suggestion; not a demand.
(02-29-2016, 10:13 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: Could I please get some reputation points?

Reputation points are given by other members.  This can be done by clicking on a user's name to get to their profile, under which the option to adjust Reputation can be found.

Personally, I don't think Reputation should be a measure of contests won, and it should remain a measure of experience, knowledge and skill so that new members know where to go for legit advice and not fall victim to some other noob's well-intended but untried/poor suggestion.

That being said, we don't have a system here for measuring wins/participations like we did on Ye Olde TG.  I myself would be in favor of something like this, but I don't know the extent of this forum software package or if it has a capability like this we could use.  These would be questions for Melly.  

Keep in mind the old system was probably hand coded by our erstwhile Emeritus Admin, Andy Slater.
Dosen't winning a competition show a level of experience, knowledge and skill?
If you get a point I'm taking it away lol Angel
Nevermore
[+] 1 user Likes Lokis_Tyro's post
At another community that does terrain building competitions, they hand out "ribbons" for participants that complete their projects and there's a "Hall of Fame" thread that the winners and their projects can be found at. The ribbons are little graphics that show up under the user name on their profile and posts.

Sounds like the rep points are a different animal, and perhaps we could implement something like the above to honor the Victor's and their worthy opponents.

-DavicusPrime
(03-02-2016, 06:30 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: Dosen't winning a competition show a level of experience, knowledge and skill?

There's no denying that it can, but that doesn't mean it is always so.

A noob could easily come here, learn techniques from posts and other users, then enter a contest and win. This noob has no experience or knowledge, and the skills are limited to those used to build the entry. Perhaps the noob's work wasn't even that good, but there were only two other entries that were worse. There are many other variables along with experience, knowledge and skill that factor into the winning of contests. Lottery winners don't win by skill.

Melly will have to check if there is a built-in icon system we could use for awards and stuff like on the old site and others. I'd like something like this as well. Actually, ANYONE could look into this, the software TG uses is called MyBB and there's probably documentation out there, or other MyBB forums that have a system like we're looking for. If anyone found anything, they could bring it to Melly's attention.
(03-03-2016, 02:31 AM)Tob Wrote:
(03-02-2016, 06:30 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: Dosen't winning a competition show a level of experience, knowledge and skill?

There's no denying that it can, but that doesn't mean it is always so.

A noob could easily come here, learn techniques from posts and other users, then enter a contest and win.  This noob has no experience or knowledge, and the skills are limited to those used to build the entry.  Perhaps the noob's work wasn't even that good, but there were only two other entries that were worse.  There are many other variables along with experience, knowledge and skill that factor into the winning of contests.  

OK - fair point. I understand and concede. 
Back in the days of ol' TG, many years ago there were little icons you got for entering, and winning competitions.

I think I had competed in about 20 or so.

It was a small graphic on a figure running. It was awesome.