Winning competitions.
ON THE OLD SITE:
The little running figure denoting competition participation was this guy:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/12/the-story-behind-aols-iconic-yellow-running-man/383652/

But in different liveries (colours) from what AOL had once used. There were also Ribbon-Medals, Cameras, Squares...a bunch of other icons that denoted different kinds of participation or volunteer work.

ON THE NEW SITE:
There are "likes" which is the very book-of-the-face recognition practice. There is a button at the bottom of every post. You can only get significant numbers of those from other members. It shows up under your avatar.

There is the reputation score. Which again as Tob mentioned, is driven by activity of other members. That seems to be something native to this forum software. I have not seen anything quite like it currently operating elsewhere. The old TG had something similar, which could rate links to other terrain related websites, rather than members.

[..I will add something here about the Stars if I ever figure those out..]

I like the idea of ribbons or something similar. Maybe something rather small and discreet, like the way tankers would paint kill rings on the barrels of their guns, or bombers would get a tiny bomb near the nose of the plane for each completed raid.

This is a good point. I loved collecting those...
Let me look into what widgets are available for install. I feel like I remember seeing a few mods like this when we were first making the switch. While we switched to the MyBB platform so Andy could free up his time, we do still have to rely on him to do the install of the mods, so I'll have to discuss this with him as well. I will do some research and keep you updated! Smile
I assume that since the back-end of the forum is database-driven, it's a matter of storing and retrieving the information such that the ribbons display properly, yes? Automating that kind of stuff (i.e. "so-and-so has participated in three competitions because we can see posts-with-pictures in three final submission threads" might be tough, but if you're OK with human-in-the-loop stuff (i.e. a mod marks a field in a form or whatever), then it should be relatively easy to implement.
(04-19-2016, 01:34 PM)Munin Wrote: I assume that since the back-end of the forum is database-driven, it's a matter of storing and retrieving the information such that the ribbons display properly, yes? Automating that kind of stuff (i.e. "so-and-so has participated in three competitions because we can see posts-with-pictures in three final submission threads" might be tough, but if you're OK with human-in-the-loop stuff (i.e. a mod marks a field in a form or whatever), then it should be relatively easy to implement.

Yes, I don't mind having to manually add comp badges. One of the plug-ins I found had a nice blend between automated participation awards, such as reaching 1000 posts, and custom awards.

I did contact Andy about this, he said he'll look into the installation process... unfortunately, life still hasn't let up on him yet. He's had to pack up and move... twice, plus other struggles that are going to take president. So, timing on this new featuring is still T.B.D.