"Grand Opening" Theme & Guidelines
The votes have been tallied and y'all think we are ready to run a comp, so let's do this thing!

The first comp will be based of one of the themes suggested - we will have a 'Grand Opening' here at the new forums. Submitted pieces will feature a door, cavity, hole, breach, or orifice of some kind.

Some examples that would qualify would be:
- A gate/entrance to a fortified wall
- A hole in the ground
- An open industrial vat
- A cave entrance

Some examples that would NOT qualify:
- A "wide open space" such as a prairie or desert (it needs to an area removed from another area)
- A river, lake or puddle (similar to a hole in the ground but has been filled so it is no longer "open")
- A large building with a few doors & windows in it (the opening needs to be the feature of the piece)

If you think your idea might be borderline, please share and I will try to work out if it fits the theme.

There are no regulations regarding size, or materials used in hopes that we can encourage builders from all genres. The over-all comp rules still apply. Please read the Comp Rules & Regulations if you have not already. This may be a bit of a learning process as we go through this, so some of those guidelines may change as we go along.

If you have any questions, let me know. If you would like to join this competition, start a WIP for your project in this Comp I: Grand Opening sub-forum. A thread for final submissions will be created as we get closer to the deadline. The final date for submissions will be February 21, 2015. The thread will close at midnight Central Standard Time - USA (or -6:00 UTC) and a poll to vote on the entries will become available.
I was thinking of doing a smuggler's cove, there would be an opening into the cove itself (perhaps some holes worn in rocks) and the entrance to a cave system. Is this acceptable or are there too many openings?
From Hell We Cometh, Into the Light, Hide, Take Cover, Throughout the Night
Yours, Eternally Damned

Vampyre Venom
"Too many openings" is definitely not an issue! That sounds awesome. Please do join this comp! Smile
Oooh, I have a couple of ideas for this. I'll sit down tonight and do some planning and head-scratching and figure out which one I want to do (i.e. which one I think I'll have the time to finish).
[+] 1 user Likes Munin's post
Even if I don't really have a good idea at the moment, I'm trying to enter something into the competition. This is comp no. 1, there will be no other first competition Wink.
[+] 2 users Like Alabastero's post
Theme compliance check:

I am planning to make a series of modular waste canals - think "river sections" for a city/industrial board. Three of the planned pieces will be intended to allow the "river" to start and/or stop in the middle of the table rather than at the edges for extra versatility in setup.

1) A section with a large pipe or pipes dumping sludge into the canal - basically forming the beginning of the length of canal.

2) A section of canal that ends in a grated drain section (leading the sludge back underground) - basically forming the end of the length of canal.

3) A section of canal the ends in an opening, pouring out sludge in a "river delta" type terminus - allowing me to end the canal in a section of my city boards that already has green, sludge-looking water painted on.

So the openings would be in the pipes, the drain grate and the open-end of the canal. (I probably would just enter these three pieces, so that the focus stays on the openings, though might include one piece of canal just to show the intended use and modular design.) However, even with just those few pieces, the actual openings will only take up maybe 25% of the total area of the build. So, will this work?
(01-06-2015, 10:26 AM)Ambience 327 Wrote: Theme compliance check:
... the actual openings will only take up maybe 25% of the total area of the build. So, will this work?

Would the openings be the most interesting part of the pieces? While 25% is a noticeable chunk of anything, I'm not sure it would qualify as a 'feature' on its own. But a 1" opening of a pipe with dynamic flow of sewage falling from it sounds a lot more attention grabbing than the 4" of pipe that is connected to it. If you can make the openings the center of attention even though they don't cover the most area, it would be fine.
(01-06-2015, 10:26 AM)Ambience 327 Wrote: 1) A section with a large pipe or pipes dumping sludge into the canal - basically forming the beginning of the length of canal.

2) A section of canal that ends in a grated drain section (leading the sludge back underground) - basically forming the end of the length of canal.

3) A section of canal the ends in an opening, pouring out sludge in a "river delta" type terminus - allowing me to end the canal in a section of my city boards that already has green, sludge-looking water painted on.

Opinion / Adjustments / Suggestions from the peanut gallery:

1) A vertical wall, with a single, large diameter pipe sticking out of it a short distance. Sludge pours out of the pipe into the beginning of the canal. (Multiple smaller pipes draining into a sludge pool kinda screams water feature, to me. )

2) The grated drain can't be totally submerged at the bottom of the sludge. (Then it would be a pool with a grate at the bottom.) If the sludge gets to the edge of the grate, rolls over the edge, disappearing into the depths, but leaving most of the grate clear—that's gold, that's a hole in the ground with extra features.

3) This one is shouting water feature louder than the others. What exactly is pierced by the opening? Number one: wall pierced by pipe; number two: ground pierced by hole (bonus points for grate).  But 3? Number three: ________________ pierced by _______________ through which sludge flows...

I'm in. Either a ramshackle ork fort gatehouse or a necr.. <cough cough> cyborg teleportation portal.
[img]http://lasercutcard.co.za/shop/image/lasercutcard_sigfile.jpg[/img]
(01-07-2015, 11:45 AM)pendrake Wrote: Opinion / Adjustments / Suggestions from the peanut gallery:

...which are often appreciated more than said audience of legumes may realize. Big Grin

(01-07-2015, 11:45 AM)pendrake Wrote: 1) A vertical wall, with a single, large diameter pipe sticking out of it a short distance. Sludge pours out of the pipe into the beginning of the canal. (Multiple smaller pipes draining into a sludge pool kinda screams water feature, to me. )

I was thinking along similar lines - something like a small pump-house with one or more large pipes pouring sludge into the canal, which would be a basic structure of concrete walls.

(01-07-2015, 11:45 AM)pendrake Wrote: 2) The grated drain can't be totally submerged at the bottom of the sludge. (Then it would be a pool with a grate at the bottom.) If the sludge gets to the edge of the grate, rolls over the edge, disappearing into the depths, but leaving most of the grate clear—that's gold, that's a hole in the ground with extra features.

That is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

(01-07-2015, 11:45 AM)pendrake Wrote: 3) This one is shouting water feature louder than the others. What exactly is pierced by the opening? Number one: wall pierced by pipe; number two: ground pierced by hole (bonus points for grate).  But 3? Number three: ________________ pierced by _______________ through which sludge flows...

On this one, I was thinking the "opening" would be the end of the canal, where there is no longer any concrete walls. The walls on either side would end abruptly, and the sludge would just be spilling out in a fan-shape. Admittedly the weakest of the openings, but I thought it might still work.