A Door Into The Mountains
Details being added — various ideas are rattling around and competing for attention:

The barrow idea reminded me of some terrain I actually completed for a contest on the old forum. That idea involved places trolls could lair in. Part of the idea that never made it off the drawing board was for a vertical rock formation, with a cave entrance.

The door into the mountains in Return of the King also came to mind. There is slso a dwarf mine project I gathered materials for but then shelved.

The picture below is a small doodle inspired mainly by the door in the mountain / troll lair concepts.  

[Image: 11B02AED-6A12-421E-9BBE-6C45BC3423A2_zpsn9o1intp.jpg]

The top part is a 3D sketch, but the bottom is a ground plan. This will be made of foam with a lot of carving. Three big pieces, the shaded one in the middle bring the longest.

This could also work as a table edge mountain range sorta like the ones that I remember from General Tremorden's Colonial Wargaming pages [RIP].

~~~~more edits could happen  if I find old sketches~~~~

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
[Image: 4341327F-E5F3-40AD-9F17-158CADC494A9_zpstnapcgqy.jpg]

There is a close-up sketch of one of the doors. IRL the drawing is about three inches tall.

I don't really have sepia coloured ink and cream coloured paper. Both sketches in this thread were done on the same sheet of ordinary, lined notebook paper. I used a phone app called Adobe Photoshop Express to crop both pictures. It also has a variety of effects it can apply.  I paged through them just to see what they did. To my surprise, but also delight, one of them made the lines dissappear.

Your sketches look great. I couldn't draw as well as you can. Looking forward to Styro Mountain.
(01-05-2015, 01:41 PM)Alabastero Wrote: Your sketches look great. I couldn't draw as well as you can. Looking forward to Styro Mountain.

Thanks.

This is an elevation view:
[Image: 0464D9C9-F294-4F3B-B62F-500BE1655D8E_zps7gk1avql.jpg]
I am trying to work out the height, length, overlap of the peaks and spacing of the tunnel openings. In this sketch, if the tunnel doors are 2 inches tall the whole thing will be 21 inches long and 8 inches tall.

[Image: 7250E488-3F6B-4017-BE97-EE45B40DB3FB_zpsjkn7a5ir.jpg]

I have a second door to design, so I started sketching... And this idea turned up out of nowhere. If I make the lintel pieces look like a looming mustache I could have the second door look extremely dwarven.

Wow. If you're able to carve out THIS, I would officially call you Master of Foam.
(01-09-2015, 02:11 AM)Alabastero Wrote: Wow. If you're able to carve out THIS, I would officially call you Master of Foam.

Dunno about MoF. Confused It is going to be a low-relief carving.

Any progress on this Pendrake?
Gathering materials. I did not have very much, uncut foam, to hand.

pendra Wrote:Gathering materials. I did not have very much, uncut foam, to hand.

And I did gather materials but that was as far as I got. I am going to try shifting this thread to WIP so I can carry on.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post