Competition Ideas
An idea for the first competition on the new site: Rebirth

The terrain piece may be any size or scale, but must somehow convey a sense of rebirth. Ideas include flowers growing during a spring thaw, a ruined building being repaired, etc.

-Elroy
[+] 4 users Like ElroyD_test1's post
Sounds like a great idea. Having a new forum might be the motivation I need to get on and build something as I have been doing a lot of painting recently and could do with a break from minatures!
[+] 1 user Likes M21A's post
Or, you could take it quite literally, and breathe new life into an old project, in one of three ways:

1) Take an old terrain piece and restore it (new paint, new details, repair work, etc)

2) Take an unfinished terrain piece and finish it (must require significant additional work - i.e. not just highlighting the nearly complete paintjob)

3) Take an old terrain piece and make a new version of it (a chance to show how much your skills have improved since "back then")
[+] 3 users Like Ambience 327's post
I think that third idea would be cool. I junked most of my terrain. Could be a trip down memory lane.
[+] 1 user Likes Caleb's post
With the new site, maybe a new before and after competition would be appropriate for the first, or a variation such as seasons or battle damage with at least two pieces of the same place.
From Hell We Cometh, Into the Light, Hide, Take Cover, Throughout the Night
Yours, Eternally Damned

Vampyre Venom
[+] 1 user Likes vampyrevenom's post
+1

...for all the Birth/New Beginning notions for the first competition.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
Maybe the saving the new beginning/rebirth idea for the first 'official' competition is a thought.

If there is a need for an unofficial, doesn't count, test-run before hand we could call it:

Kick the Tyres; Light the Fires

Any base size that is convenient. Entries must include either Tires / Tyres (some sort of wheels) or Fires. Moderator gives a Bonus vote to entries that include both. This would be a way to test some mechanism for letting the moderator grade the entries.

Upgrade from simple Pass / Fail.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
Since the first competition thread has been setup with a place holder title of "Opening Competition" this suggests a simple theme:

Build a piece of terrain that prominently includes some sort of opening.

[+] 2 users Like pendrake's post
(12-20-2014, 04:11 AM)pendrake Wrote: Build a piece of terrain that prominently includes some sort of opening.

I like that idea, I have an idea of what I could make for this as well  Smile
From Hell We Cometh, Into the Light, Hide, Take Cover, Throughout the Night
Yours, Eternally Damned

Vampyre Venom
[+] 1 user Likes vampyrevenom's post
"3) Take an old terrain piece and make a new version of it (a chance to show how much your skills have improved since "back then")"

I do like the idea of a "2nd chance" or "Refurbish" competition where you take a half-finished old piece and fix it up, but what would people that don't have anything laying about do for it?