Competition Ideas
May I show my ignorance with this posted question!!!

How does the membership (as a body) determine the ideas for a/the given competition???

I understand that members suggest ideas...but what are these ideas based on?

If I could understand the process...I could/would participate in giving possible suggestions...but not knowing this/these processes, I will refrain from any suggestions...for fear of making a complete fool out of myself!

Thank you for any feedback!
(02-24-2015, 08:13 PM)catdancer Wrote: Q 1: How does the membership (as a body) determine the ideas for a/the given competition???

Q 2: I understand that members suggest ideas...but what are these ideas based on?

A 1: Melee combat, fish juggling, and divine right OR by choice of the previous contest's winner. So far, all themes have been determined by the latter method, and only one time did it almost come to fish juggling but it was 3 weeks after the salmon run so we just fought it out with sword & buckler.

A 2: Typically these ideas are based on fevered dreams, manifest destiny, hallucinogen consumption, poor impulse control, a lack of dignity, questionable verisimilitude, and the occasional Yorkshire pudding.

If you have ideas, post them to this thread. The theme of the next contest is chosen by the winner of the current contest. Where do the winners get their ideas? From this thread and/or see A 2 above.
[+] 3 users Like Tob's post
(02-24-2015, 08:30 PM)Tob Wrote:
(02-24-2015, 08:13 PM)catdancer Wrote: Q 1:  How does the membership (as a body) determine the ideas for a/the given competition???

Q 2:  I understand that members suggest ideas...but what are these ideas based on?

A 1:   Melee combat, fish juggling, and divine right OR by choice of the previous contest's winner.  So far, all themes have been determined by the latter method, and only one time did it almost come to fish juggling but it was 3 weeks after the salmon run so we just fought it out with sword & buckler.

A 2:   Typically these ideas are based on fevered dreams, manifest destiny, hallucinogen consumption, poor impulse control, a lack of dignity, questionable verisimilitude, and the occasional Yorkshire pudding.

If you have ideas, post them to this thread.  The theme of the next contest is chosen by the winner of the current contest.  Where do the winners get their ideas?  From this thread and/or see A 2 above.

Tob;

Thank you for your reply (answer to my question). I gather from your reply; that there is not really a serious set of guidelines/rules in regard to these competition ideas/suggestions...as there might be in other site competitions (ie: WW2 tank in building ruins...maximum 3 figures)...or the like.

Appreciate your information!
[+] 1 user Likes catdancer's post
I'm new here, but I gather that the only real guidelines are:
1) It has to be Terrain,
&
2) It has to be broad enough that someone can make something for any genre (Historical/Fantasy/Scifi/etc)

Is there a list of previous Terragenesis competitions from before the reboot/move?

Edit: yes there is a list
Vegetation, Temporary Shelter, CD Base, Ruins, Funeral Monument, Factory/Workshop, Bridges, "Crashes, Bashes & Wrecks", Arenas, 15cm/6in Base, Spherical Objects, Found Items (Junkyard Wars), Snow & Ice, Containment Facility, Creative Anachronism, Hasty Fortifications, Dangerous Ground, Movie Set, Drinking Spot, Lair of the Beast, LED Lighting, Dwellings, Fallen Over, Shipping & Receiving, Dual Purpose Terrain, Resource Gathering, Reclaimed by Nature, Companion Piece, Medical/Repair Facilities, One Inch Base, Moving Parts, Obstacles, Fire, Place of Worship, Disastrous Aftermath, Entrance/Exit, Treasure, Water, Eating Establishment, Adjacent Multi-Level, Under Construction, Crash Site, Junctions, Heavy Weapon, Sheet Materials, Monuments, Excavation, Back to Basics, Folding Terrain, Reach For The Sky, Rocks, Super Detailing, Burial Site, One Inch Base, Containment / Holding Facility, Flora and Fungi, Movies & Television, Ice & Snow, Secret Hideouts / Hidden Bases, Machines, Metal/Wood, Rich Man / Poor Man, 3 of a Kind, 3 Inch Base, Forsaken, Defensive Position, Over/Under, Masonry, Places of Trade, Agriculture, Holey Places, Anything Goes, Lighting Effects, In Motion, Transportation, Funky Junk, Horizontal Stacking, Holy Places, Across Impassable Terrain, Dangerous Terrain, Centrepiece, MacGyvering, Finishing Moves, Weather It, Hug The Ground, Reclaimed By Nature, Elemental Union, Elevation Change, Wombling Free, Copy It, Before & After, Knowledge is Power, Law & Order, Flat Terrain, A to B, One Inch Base, Old & Rusty, Finest Five, Convertible / Reversible, The Last Stand, In Disguise.

No [spoiler] tags? :-\
[+] 2 users Like trollmeat's post
Trollmeat for the summary win!

I still want to see:

One Inch Fire
Water Under Pressure
Indigenous Housing
Filthy Lucre
Bogged Down
Secret Message
No Foam Allowed
Two Minutes To Midnight
and The Clash Series:
The Clash
Give 'em Enough Rope
Sandinista!
London Calling
Cut the Crap
Combat Rock

An additional rule is required for the Clash series: All participants must listen to the eponymous album whilst building their entries. At high volume.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
Any competition that inspires something that I can use in my carnival is good. Smile

Just going through the list of ones before the reboot.
-Dwellings
-Moving Parts
-Eating Establishment
-Flora and Fungi
-Places of Trade
-Dangerous Terrain

"No Foam Allowed" should be easy for me, just don't say "no old toys, no cardboard & no wood" Tongue
Oh, I've got some ideas...

-How It's Made (obviously based on the show)
-A to B or What's the holdup? (former path from A to B)
-A to B to C to D
-Circle of Life
-A to A to A to A to A (combination of A to B and Copy It)
-Ambush!
-Epic Fail
-No Steeling
-No Rocking
-Traffic Flow
No new comp yet? Usually they are up in a few days - I know BlueM is a 'newish' member - is it on the cards? can you give us a hint...or something?

*sigh* *sulk* fine...I'll just wait Big Grin
(09-01-2015, 07:45 AM)djmothra Wrote: No new comp yet? Usually they are up in a few days - I know BlueM is a 'newish' member - is it on the cards? can you give us a hint...or something?

*sigh* *sulk* fine...I'll just wait  Big Grin

That's partially my fault. Tongue She PM'd me looking for guidance and I haven't logged in for a few days. (I also didn't get a notification that I had messages for some reason...) Your patience is appreciated!
[+] 1 user Likes MellyMonkey's post
(12-02-2014, 11:20 AM)Ambience 327 Wrote: Or, you could take it quite literally, and breathe new life into an old project, in one of three ways:

1) Take an old terrain piece and restore it (new paint, new details, repair work, etc)

2) Take an unfinished terrain piece and finish it (must require significant additional work - i.e. not just highlighting the nearly complete paintjob)

3) Take an old terrain piece and make a new version of it (a chance to show how much your skills have improved since "back then")

OR go to a game store or ebay and obtain  piece of terrain and without removing anything or  altering the original structure, create a new piece of scenery.
 The idea being to make it into something so different and improved upon that only a side by side before/after  comparison could betray the original look.

The idea isn't to make some one feel their work is poor, but to accept a challenge to elevate  the article at hand to another state.