Blast Holes
Does anyone have any good tips for making bullet holes in buildings?
A good start: Google search - Bullet holes in buildings.

Then get more specific. What is the building made of?

Building is made of X

Google search Bullet holes in X.

That should give you a starting point.
[+] 1 user Likes SethDrallitoc's post
(05-02-2016, 07:42 AM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: A good start: Google search - Bullet holes in buildings.

Then get more specific. What is the building made of?

Building is made of X

Google search Bullet holes in X.

That should give you a starting point.

Thanks Seth....  Google! I should have thought of that!
Entry and exit holes will differ. Significantly.

There might be no exit hole. If the bullet shattered on impact or it was a shell which exploded at impact there won't be a hole per se. More of a blast pattern with the degree of damage depending on the round and the material of the wall.

Some true stories:

The Spanish built a cannonball proof stone fort in the Americas totally by accident. The only locally available stone was marine limestone which they quarried at low tide. They built a fort out of it. Sir Francis Drake, (that foul English pirate / scion of chivalry and defender of the British Empire) attacked the place with cannons.

The cannon balls just embedded harmlessly in the walls. The marine limestone had such a high content of fossilized marine life it was like busting tiny microscopic bubble wrap. All the energy was dissipated collapsing fossilized plankton shells. It is still standing at St. Augustine, Florida.

The Spanish praised God; the English assumed it was the work of the Devil. Each side excommunicated the other.
______

The Japanese dropped some converted battleship shells as bombs during WW2. On a raid against US warships underway near the Phillipines one such bomb hit a new battleship and second bomb hit a cruiser. Both bombs hit "A" turret on each ship.

The bomb that hit the battleship detonated against the top armor on the turret, superficial damage only, armor not penetrated. Paint ruined.

The bomb that hit the cruiser punched through the turret roof  and every deck below that down to and including the floor of the magazine, whereupon it exited the ship into the sea. It exploded a safe distance below the ship. Minor flooding, superficial damage.

It really depends on the material.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
Been looking at lots of different bullet holes since last night and I've seen many types! Also I saw something similar to the lime stone fortifications you mentioned pendrake.
Let us also, for a moment, consider scale:

As an example, let's take the 7.62 NATO as a typical combat machine gun cartridge.  How big are the holes the bullets make?
Well, nominally 7.62mm in diameter presuming they're punching clean through; say in drywall.

My wargames are usually 1:72 scale, and I have a lot of scale models with scale machine guns that shoot those bullets, so how big are the scale holes the scale bullets make?    7.62mm/72 = 0.1mm     A TENTH of a millimeter.  The question now becomes "How are you going to make a hole that small?"  OR "Can I SEE a hole that small?"

[/scalepolice]

My personal rule is that if any material is "bullet porous" I don't bother with holes; you'd never see them anyway.  If a material is supposed to be "war hardened" like reinforced concrete, the damage is going to be specific enough to the material that it will be integral in the modeling process with no need to actually make a hole.  Reinforced concrete pillboxes don't have holes in them, they have chunks knocked off.

On the other hand, if you like the way holes look, go nuts.  Just start punching holes in stuff - sharp objects are your friend.  I only ask that you give serious thought to the spacing of automatic arms fire.  Also, less is more.

I will also echo the above sentiment of "the hole/damage will depend on the material" and add that techniques for modeling holes/damage will depend on the modeling material.  Again, XPS type foam is your friend here; makes convincing concrete and is easy to hack up.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
Good stuff Tob.

I like the way blast damage looks on terrain but I have never seen a single case of small arms fire damage that looks convincing. The scale/spacing/amount of damage is always off... Therefore, personally, I tend not to bother and just stick with big holes
Thanks for all the suggestions. Gave me quite abit to think about. I've went with a few large holes and some medium sized ones. I haven't painted the ruined building yet but when I get some colour on it I'll put up pics to get your thoughts.
[img][Image: DSC_6390_zpsm2zac1yr.jpg][/img]

I know its not painted but I remembered I had taken this pic to show my gaming buddy. So what do those of you with more skill and knowledge than me think?
I think you should start a WIP thread!

I would add some PVA and sand to the bottom right corner of the bottom right window - to conceal that overcut.

Please tell me that pipe actually goes through the wall to the other side!