First build (Warhammer 40k)
(05-09-2016, 12:52 PM)ableman33 Wrote: Cat litter makes great rubble/rocks.

You can check out a good gluing technique for loose material in this part of my pyramid thread:  Gluing Cat Litter

Just make sure you use fresh litter...  Smile

I tried some once. It was fresh from the bucket. It turned to mush when I tried to paint it. Wrong brand?

At the moment I'm just using builders sand. Pain stakingly (is that even a word?) separated into different grades.
(05-09-2016, 01:24 PM)pendrake Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 12:52 PM)ableman33 Wrote: Cat litter makes great rubble/rocks.

You can check out a good gluing technique for loose material in this part of my pyramid thread:  Gluing Cat Litter

Just make sure you use fresh litter...  Smile

I tried some once. It was fresh from the bucket. It turned to mush when I tried to paint it. Wrong brand?

@ pendrake - I've never experienced what you described.  Huh

I use two different types of litter.  One is standard, "dirt" cheap basic clay litter. It comes in a variety of different sized pieces all mixed together. I have used various homemade sieves to sorts some of it on occasion, but mostly I just use it as is for the variety.  If you were to completely saturate it, I guess there is a chance it might soften, but it sounds like you might have used some of the finer "clumping" style litter. I've never tried that stuff.

I have also used sawdust based cat litter as a source of clean saw dust to mix with PVA and dry wall mud/spackle for texturing surfaces. When using this stuff, I soak it in a cup of water until it completely comes apart, then just use the sawdust as needed.
[Image: P_20160512_002632_zpsptrhtl5e.jpg]

Didn't get much done over the past few days, but I managed to get a base layer of grey painted ( hard to see due to bad lighting apologies.) and made a ladder.

Is the ladder too neat?
(05-11-2016, 07:31 PM)Arkadine Wrote: Is the ladder too neat?

Nah. It looks nice and ramshackle, like someone slapped it together from scraps found amongst the wreckage.
I still have to paint it and weather it, maybe add some ropes to hold it together.

So next question, do I make the ladder permanent or do you think I should leave it to sit loose?
Better pictures.
Still so much to do!

[Image: P_20160512_094833_zpsp5wqoacb.jpg]
[Image: P_20160512_094802_zpsvae2t3j9.jpg]
[Image: P_20160512_094842_zps4imuss8g.jpg]
(05-12-2016, 02:38 AM)Arkadine Wrote: I still have to paint it and weather it, maybe add some ropes to hold it together.

So next question, do I make the ladder permanent or do you think I should leave it to sit loose?

I have a box of various sized ladders and temporary bridges that I keep under my games table. I just assume that an invading army would come prepared with such things or make them on the spot as needed. 
(05-12-2016, 09:30 AM)SethDrallitoc Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 02:38 AM)Arkadine Wrote: I still have to paint it and weather it, maybe add some ropes to hold it together.

I have a box of various sized ladders and temporary bridges that I keep under my games table. I just assume that an invading army would come prepared with such things or make them on the spot as needed. 

Sounds like a good idea, maybe I'll keep it loose. 
Tips for painting rusted pipes and so on......

Anybody got some?