First build (Warhammer 40k)
This is a rust tutorial that I made some time ago. you will have to substitute colours. ExtraEvilDave is the real expert in rust.

Chain Mail - Paint
[Image: IMG_9150_zps4526c58d.jpg]
Badab Black - Wash
[Image: IMG_9152_zpsf16563f2.jpg]
Vermin Brown - Light Drybrush
[Image: IMG_9154_zps5b64d8ea.jpg]
Vermin Brown - Stipple.
[Image: IMG_9155_zpsdef71151.jpg]

You can afford to be messy. Rust gets everywhere and stains everything!

The real question is - would a pipe rust? Aren't they meant to be somewhat resistant?
[+] 2 users Like SethDrallitoc's post
For that crumbly rust look, you can dab/smear glue in spots and dust on some sand, let it dry, then paint your rust effects on top and around the sand.
[+] 1 user Likes ableman33's post
(05-13-2016, 08:41 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: The real question is - would a pipe rust? Aren't they meant to be somewhat resistant?
A very fair point Seth, 
(05-13-2016, 10:00 PM)ableman33 Wrote: For that crumbly rust look, you can dab/smear glue in spots and dust on some sand, let it dry, then paint your rust effects on top and around the sand.

Have to try that ableman, though after finishing the drybushing last night it looks like my ruin could have been exposed to some arid conditions. So probably not that much rust needed.

Tthanks to you both for the advice.
[Image: P_20160514_084126_zpsnkxn7wyg.jpg]
[Image: P_20160514_084141_zpsiqnulrbf.jpg]

[Image: P_20160514_084152_zpslabfqwav.jpg]

Finally got most of the painting done, going to have a look at metal and so on in desert conditions. Constructive criticism welcome.
Wow! That looks great! Wish my first terrain piece had looked this good.
[+] 1 user Likes SethDrallitoc's post
(05-14-2016, 06:22 AM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: Wow! That looks great! Wish my first terrain piece had looked this good.

Thanks Seth. Technically it's not my first ever, but my first for here. Ive only ever made one before this, it was not as good in my opinion but then I didn't have the right materials.
I'm an artist by trade and have been painting models and pictures for close to 25 years so that might have helped with this?!

Below is the first piece I've ever made.

[Image: P_20160423_124449_zpsnebpa0mv.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Arkadine's post
Quick question, do you guys think there is something missing from the ruin? I was thinking grass maybe?
(05-15-2016, 04:37 PM)Arkadine Wrote: Quick question, do you guys think there is something missing from the ruin? I was thinking grass maybe?

That depends entirely on how recently the building was ruined.  I mean, one does not find a lot of grass in cities that have been recently bombed or otherwise war-torn.  Mostly it's all rubble and burnt wood.  It takes a year or two or more for dirt to collect in areas and seeds to blow in and subsequently grass to grow.  As such, your decision to add grass may depend on your overall gaming scenario and/or the general theme of your gaming table.

If this ruin is in an urban environment, you might be better off adding city-type details and/or trash.  Was there parking for this building?  Maybe a broken parking meter would be good.  Mailbox?  Fallen lamppost?  Rats?  Maybe someone is squatting in the ruin and there's a makeshift sleeping pallet and/or small cook fire.

Think about the "story" of your wartable.  Think about what details would be there.  Add those in.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
I personally like to add static grass to all my pieces - at least on the base (not so much on the building) - I use a bright green static grass which contrasts well with the greys and browns of my terrain.
[+] 1 user Likes Blocky's post
I like your ideas about the more urban items Tob, only thing is I have no idea how to make anything like what you suggested! I think I could manage burnt wood though.

I think I'll add a few small patches of grass in some of the corners and recesses for some colour Wink

Now I'm going to have to search YouTube for tutorials on making rubbish and the like. Smile

Thanks for the suggestions Blocky and Tob