Modular post-apocalyptic terrain board (28mm)
Hello,

I recently completed a post-apocalyptic modular board and figured I could post some pics here. There are 20 square-shaped pieces with mdf edges (30 x 30 x 2,5 cm). Inside the ”box” is foam board covered with textured acrylic pastes and sand.

These are meant to be used in This is Not a Test –game, where the board size is 4 x 4 feet. Thus there are four spare pieces to give some variation in addition to the option of organizing them in different ways.

Overview (4 x 4 layout):
[Image: Side_zpsgaehuhay.jpg]

Top Down:
[Image: Layout1_zps5t0zajxo.jpg]

All pieces (WIP picture):
[Image: Boar1_zpskqlt16fa.jpg]

I used a substantial amount of ready-made resin parts, cars, plastic plants etc. to save time (this still took about eight months), but constructed the buildings myself. Those I made out of textured foam board, plasticard, cardboard and wood strips. Seriously ruined stuff is made out of marble mosaic and 1:48 bricks.

Tile building:
[Image: BB_zpsnoclyhv0.jpg]

Wooden storehouse ruins:
[Image: Board2_zpsmorjqm9o.jpg]

Ruined building:

[Image: Close3_zpsccrufsex.jpg]

Pool and some stuff:
[Image: Pic1_zpsgqgyzkxv.jpg]

Someone’s lair:
[Image: IMG_1977_zpsuymam5d5.jpg]

Industrial landscapes:
[Image: pic3_zpshagf6g9e.jpg]

A view from the bridge:

[Image: Close2_zpsrpi2cpfx.jpg]

There are few things I might add later like cactuses and stuff. Some colours could also use a few shades or variation (one could put something greenish on the walls, make the ”asphalt” darker etc.), ”dirt” could be improved with pigments… but I think this will do for now.

Thanks for looking. Comments and questions are welcome.
[+] 3 users Like pahvivalmiste's post
Excellent work! I think I could stare at if for days, and constantly pick out new interesting details. May I enquire as to the manufacturer/source of the palm trees? (I'm obsessed with palm trees at the moment)
(05-17-2016, 04:33 AM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: Excellent work! I think I could stare at if for days, and constantly pick out new interesting details. May I enquire as to the manufacturer/source of the palm trees? (I'm obsessed with palm trees at the moment)

Thanks for the commment! The tallest palms are Pegasus (small) palms, the others are from "Serious play" and some chinese ebay aquarium plant seller Smile
This is really nice and has resparked my interest in making a modular board. For me, storage space is the problem - it's much easier to stack a whole bunch of buildings into a cupboard.

I love all the small details and am really liking the empty swimming pool
Pardon my language, but bloody hell those are amazing!

I only wish I could make scenery that good, might have to steal a couple of your ideas Wink
This looks so great! What a nice play area. Definitely a lot of variety and still space to move around in. I'm really drawn to your ground texture. What did you use?
(05-19-2016, 07:03 AM)MellyMonkey Wrote: This looks so great! What a nice play area. Definitely a lot of variety and still space to move around in. I'm really drawn to your ground texture. What did you use?

Thanks for the nice comments (Arkadine and Blocky too).

The texture is made with Vallejo Sandy Paste, Vallejo Gel and sand. First I covered some areas with sand (gel as adhesive) and then the rest with Sandy Paste and sand sprinkled here and there. I painted everything with bleached titan (Vallejo art/hobby acrylic) and drybrushed it with white. After that I applied 3-5 thin washes (sepia & brown-based). The WIP picture might give some idea:

[Image: Tpie_zps184zdjdb.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like pahvivalmiste's post