Old Comp Entry - Reach for the Sky
This is an old competition entry - Reach for the Sky back in 2010.  The height had to be 3x taller than the base.  This is one of the pieces that I no longer own, as it got left behind when I moved (Wife is still mad about it getting left actually, so I had to promise to build another one!).  I did keep a pretty good WIP log though so at least there is that.

I started with a sketch concept.
[Image: medium.jpg]

I used various foams to then get my rough shape.

The structure was covered with a layer of spackle.

Various "found objects" fleshing out the details, and a good portion of the brick work drawn in by hand.
[Image: large.jpg]

Close up.

Starting to come together now.  Shot of the painting WIP, and the attached dock.

A few of the finished presentation shots.  I do not remember the exact ones I used so here are a few.

Well that about wraps it up.  If you want to have a look at the full WIP pictures.
[+] 2 users Like TheRat's post
I love this. Does it actually light up?
I remember this from before. Nice work. Glad to see it again. Smile
Ooh...nice I had a lighthouse planned at some point...this has given me so many ideas Smile
It's always nice to have the spouse-support to do a project when they know it'll probably make a mess and take up a lot of your free time. Tongue On the up side, you next one will be even better!
[+] 1 user Likes MellyMonkey's post
I have a lot of favorite things going on on this one. The wood planks, the texture on them, colors, it looks great. You can really see the grain and it looks appropriate at that size. The crane detail with the boxes really makes this for me. Dig it. And lastly, the fact that the rocks are all individual pieces was a great choice. I probably would have tried to carve in my own rocks from a solid piece but I think it's always obvious they're solid that way because you can't get the same crevices you'd see in actual large shorline/cliff stones like that. So I definitely think that was a smart move. That sucks it's gone. x....x
I have a terrible memory but I actually remember this one. This has the all the right stuff going and lots of hidden details... Really cool
That is beautiful and such an inspiring spire. Nicely done, glad you at least still have pics Smile