Hex-based 6mm wargaming terrain bits
I'm trying out something I've been thinking about for a while for 6mm terrain, and that is to build it in a modular format, though without going to the lengths of building complete terrain tiles. Sculpted terrain tiles, while they can be beautiful to look at, are inherently limiting, and they're also a pain in the arse to store.

[Image: hexForest.jpg]

I had a bunch of 50mm hexes I made many, many years ago from heavy 3mm thick card. Those were originally intended for a home-made copy of Knights of the Air (one of which, a Fokker D-II you can see to the left of frame), which did get completed but then hardly ever got played. I'll never use them again for their intended purpose, so waste not, want not. For WWI aerial gaming these days I use Canvas Eagles and 1/300 scale miniatures, mostly from Heroics & Ros.

I bevelled the edges of the card hexes on my belt sander. I was in two minds about doing that; on the plus side, it means that the hexes slope down to the table surface and will blend in better with a ground-cloth, but on the minus side, it makes them harder to pick up by the base to avoid damage to the terrain modeling.

The trees are very cheap Z-gauge railway scenery from China, some with plastic trunks, the others in twisted wire. I paid about $5 per 100 of the plastic ones, and if I recall correctly about $10 for a hundred of the wire ones. I mix the two, with the wire-trunked trees to the outside; they're stiffer and make it easier to pick up the hex, and they're a bit less regular than the plastic ones too.

[Image: hexForest02.jpg]

I finished off the hexes I had at the time — this picture includes about a third of them — and I think I'll call them a qualified success. It's not diorama-quality terrain, but it looks OK to my eye, and it will allow for considerable flexibility in laying out woods and copses.

I have a friend with a computer-guided router/cutter, and over the weekend we had a go at cutting some hexes and hex arrays in 3mm MDF, which will be a superior material to card, I think. The router-cut MDF needed more cleaning up than I'd hoped, but it didn't really take too long thanks to the fact that I have a benchtop belt sander. (The saga of that little episode is here, on my blog)

The tanks are Churchill Mk.1 from C-in-C, the figures are Heroics & Ros WWII British infantry. The buildings are a couple of simple shells that I whipped up out of light card and painted.
These look great! I really like the flexibility that hex terrain allows, though I agree it can be a bit tough to store.
(08-11-2016, 12:28 AM)Fitz Wrote: The trees are very cheap Z-gauge railway scenery from China, some with plastic trunks, the others in twisted wire.

I like your strategy of hiding the plastic trunks in the interiors. I've seen these trees used here on TG a few times now and I think this is the straw that breaks the camels back; I think I need to get some.

I also appreciate your smaller hexes. I find this to be a better solution than GHQ's full hex system. Your way is more flexible and doesn't have that choppy GHQ hex look. Nice work!

CinC rules!
Greetings. I've been lurking here for quite some time but finally decided to register. I'm working on BattleTech terrain and eventually traditional wargaming. Where exactly are you finding these size trees for $5/100? I've had a quick look around on eBay but found a huge disparity in prices and apparent qualities. Thanks!
(08-18-2016, 08:16 PM)ColonelColt Wrote: Where exactly are you finding these size trees for $5/100? I've had a quick look around on eBay but found a huge disparity in prices and apparent qualities. Thanks!

I found mine through AliExpress — as I recall, I just used the search term "model trees". There's a lot there to sift through, of very variable quality.
(08-20-2016, 08:31 PM)Fitz Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 08:16 PM)ColonelColt Wrote: Where exactly are you finding these size trees for $5/100? I've had a quick look around on eBay but found a huge disparity in prices and apparent qualities. Thanks!

I found mine through AliExpress — as I recall, I just used the search term "model trees". There's a lot there to sift through, of very variable quality.

Yeah, those trees are awesome considering that price. If you needed to plop that many trees down, I think that'd be a hard price to beat. Though despite the focus on the hexes I want to give you a shout out for those micro wrecked houses. The one with the tall grass and trees growing in the middle is so rad that I can't even. That was a smart thing to do with it and I feel really inspired by it. Even though you say they're simple and you whipped them up, they're my favorite part of this.