Rat Patrol
(08-30-2016, 03:09 PM)Tob Wrote: Still thinking about tanks.

It occurs to me that Captain Hans Dietrich never really had tanks in his OOB?

He did have:
Kampfenwagons 
Half tracks
Trucks
Armored cars
Self propelled guns/armoured personnel carriers

(09-01-2016, 09:53 AM)pendrake Wrote: It occurs to me that Captain Hans Dietrich never really had tanks in his OOB?

Well, I haven't seen every episode (very few in fact), but they do seem pretty rare. There might be a couple in the opening credits, but on the show? Very few if any so far. I don't watch as often as I'd like as the show is on at 4am local time. Maybe I'll have to get a set of DVDs.

Either way, I feel like I have to have tanks in my game. I just love tanks. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to make them the centerpiece of the game, but I will work them in when appropriate. I think it will depend on the scenario, and even then the tank presence won't be intrusive. Just one or two tanks when it seems logical; no tank columns or anything.
The model kit by Aurora of the Rat Patrol came with a Mk IV and a Panther. Now, there were never any Panthers in North Africa, but there were some early Tigers.  However, there were plenty of Mk IIs, and those were a more even match with a .50 cal. Of course you could always make your own rules based on the 'Haunted Tank' comics, whose 37mm Stuart tank never had a problem taking out a Tiger. Wink

Don
The entire series is available on YouTube Smile that's where I'm watching it!
I should belatedly mention I thoroughly approve of this effort. My questions should not be taken as negative comments. (I loved that show as a kid.)

Also, I have just realized I may be able to do this in Hot Wheels scale. (I will post more about this later, perhaps in another thread.)

I looked on YouTube. Sure enough, a bunch of episodes. I watched the beginning of one and complete episodes of two others.

Hauptmann Dietrich had:
Kubelwagens, Half-Tracks, and Armoured Cars (6 wheelers) 2 of each.
-or-
Three Half-Tracks, Two Kubelwagens, Two open top armoured cars (four wheels).
-or-
He was in command of a fort/compound but they ambushed one of his patrols that consisted of one Tank, Three Trucks, and One Half-Track. I think the Tank was a Walker Bulldog, it wasn't on screen very long, they got it with grenades.

Also, the Germans get motorcycles. With and without sidecars.

I'm fairly sure - at least in the first few episodes he also had a few M7 Priests tanks too.
(09-02-2016, 12:09 PM)djmothra Wrote: I'm fairly sure - at least in the first few episodes he also had a few M7 Priests tanks too.

One of the ones I viewed on youtube last night was from the second season. The opening credits had an angry pair of M7s chasing the two jeeps round and round.

(09-02-2016, 04:55 AM)pendrake Wrote: I have just realized I may be able to do this in Hot Wheels scale.

Cool idea! My advice is to do it.

(09-02-2016, 04:55 AM)pendrake Wrote: Hauptmann Dietrich had:
Kubelwagens, Half-Tracks, and Armoured Cars (6 wheelers) 2 of each.
-or-
Three Half-Tracks, Two Kubelwagens, Two open top armoured cars (four wheels).
-or-
He was in command of a fort/compound but they ambushed one of his patrols that consisted of one Tank, Three Trucks, and One Half-Track.

Yeah, this is pretty typical of what I've been seeing myself. Basically means that any models could be used for any type of typical scenario, but if I wanted to re-enact a particular episode I'd need a range to choose from. Leaves room to grow.

As for the M7 Priests, although it's not a vehicle I am very familiar with, I don't have any mobile gun platforms in the German OOB. I'll have to look up what the German equivalent is and maybe get a few.
The closest equivalent to the M7 is the German Wespe, a 105mm SP gun.

Don
I have been treating myself to an episode a day (or two) from YouTube.

(09-01-2016, 01:47 PM)Tob Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 09:53 AM)pendrake Wrote: It occurs to me that Captain Hans Dietrich never really had tanks in his OOB?
Well, I haven't seen every episode (very few in fact), but they do seem pretty rare.  There might be a couple in the opening credits, but on the show?  Very few if any so far.  I don't watch as often as I'd like as the show is on at 4am local time.  Maybe I'll have to get a set of DVDs.

Either way, I feel like I have to have tanks in my game.  I just love tanks...

Season 2 :: Episode 4
The German Sherman Raid. Ok, that's not the real title but there was a Sherman kitted out to look like it belonged in the Afrika Korps. German Sherman confirmed. They called it a Mk III. Episode also included a dog. Everything's better with a dog.  Rolleyes