Rat Patrol
(08-30-2016, 02:33 AM)pendrake Wrote: OK,

Now for the big question: what are you going to do ruleswise so that a pair of .50cal Browning MGs can match and outshoot a whole German convoy, typically: 2x half-tracks, 2x SturmgeM7s, 2x Trucks, and 2x Kampfenotwagens?

Flames of War is usually played with 15mm models, but can be played with 1:285 without modification (Either everything is spread out more, or you could cut all ranges and templates in half--personally, I'd prefer the more spread out view anyway.)

I raise this as they sell a book called "Burning Empires" that deals with the deep desert patrols in light vehicles, the british LRDG, the American OSS (foot infantry, not mounted), and Italian autosahariana. It has a few special rules to make these raiders a little more survivable, as they weave and dodge about. There is also a "raiding aces" campaign to grow and improve your desert raiders. This seems very much in keeping with what you're modelling.
(09-05-2016, 09:35 AM)pendrake Wrote: Season 2 :: Episode 4
The German Sherman Raid.

I'll be on the lookout for this episode!

Oh, and thanks HobbyDr! I am looking for Wespes now.

I have the FoW basic rulebook and am vaguely aware there are "desert rats" expansions for it. I might have to check some of it out. I've always been a big advocate for playing FoW at 1/285, so maybe I'll take some of my own advice.
(09-05-2016, 05:08 PM)Tob Wrote:
The German Sherman Raid.

Rat Patrol — The German Sherman Raid. (YouTube)

(edit) If YouTube coughs up S2E5 as a follow-on there is an M41 Walker Bulldog serving in the Afrika Korps in that one. 

I have gotten to S2 Episode 8 or 9.  In one of those they were strafed by a Messhersmitt North American P-51.

Talked to a guy today who is an ex-tanker (M1A1 Abrams). He contends that a .50 cal Browning machine gun would flip a Willys Jeep if fired sideways. But he was a fan of the show as a kid, anyhow. He says they shot it in Spain using Spanish Army post-war gear/vehicles.

(09-05-2016, 05:08 PM)Tob Wrote:
The German Sherman Raid.

Oh, and thanks HobbyDr!  I am looking for Wespes now.

I have the FoW basic rulebook and am vaguely aware there are "desert rats" expansions for it.  I might have to check some of it out.  I've always been a big advocate for playing FoW at 1/285, so maybe I'll take some of my own advice.

FOW Special Rules for TRP

I think it could use one or two more special rules:

High Explosive Armour Piercing 50 CAL rounds

Deadly Accurate with Grenades

(09-12-2016, 08:51 PM)pendrake Wrote: High Explosive Armour Piercing 50 CAL rounds

Deadly Accurate with Grenades

I intend to have Deadly Grenade Accuracy and I suspect "HEAP" rounds may be necessary just to rationalize the action.

HOWEVER, this whole project has been temporarily sidelined due to my friend's daughter wanting to play D&D.  And who has been tasked to build the dungeon?  That's right.  

See other thread.
I keep you-tubing my way through season 2. I have decided that the jeeps leaping over the sand dune at the beginning of the show is the same jeep shown twice from slightly different angles.

I am around episode 14. One thing that holds up well is that the Germans often speak in German.

So I haven't seen the show and y'all are kind of talking over my head right now about these tanks and number/letter combinations that explain historical weaponry but... If you're still trying to decide, I'll just throw in a small 2cents that if you haven't already moved on an idea-- I think making your stuff accurate to the show over accurate to history would be fun. Lots of people make history accurate boards and you could have the opportunity to make yours a little unique because how many people have tv show accurate boards? Anyway, sounded interesting to me is all. Good luck with this project!
(09-16-2016, 03:12 PM)BlueMeander Wrote: So I haven't seen the show and y'all are kind of talking over my head right now about these tanks and number/letter combinations that explain historical weaponry but...

Blue, they are on YouTube if you want to get a sense. Fair warning: it is 1960s TV, men smoke, women faint, except for the ones that feint...etc. 

I have been slowly watching them late at night on an iGadget. I can now report that I have seen the whole two-year run. I guess it only lasted two seasons. Since the American portion of the North Africa campaign lasted less than two years that kinda makes sense. 

Tob, did you ever get back to this project..?