Medieval warehouse
This project was pretty much completed a year and a half ago, but I only just now finally got around to painting it!  Built it to add some variety to my Dwarven Forge City Builder stuff for D&D games.

[Image: IMG_5763.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5762.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5765.jpg]

What worked:
-I used Elmers Wood Filler to get the stucco texture over the foam board the building is made of.  I was really happy with how this turned out.

What didn't work so well:
-The final texture on the foam that I used for the first floor was pretty bad.  May have been a problem with my knife not being sharp enough (don't have a hot knife), or something else, not sure.  Overall I was disappointed in that.
-Dem shingles!  So tedious to make, and not thrilled with them.  I was going to use a Hirst Arts roof mold I have, and in retrospect it probably still would have been less work to make the dormers work than it took to make these, and it would have looked better. Tongue

[Image: IMG_3474.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes fukifino's post
You may see flaws fukifino but this is a fine job and a good looking piece of terrain.

I have one suggestion for improvement (for the next project) if you are interested.

This is a solid piece (in all aspects of the word). Some nice detail. On the large side of the building though it looks a little plain - maybe some vines or something?
@pendrake: Always up for suggestions Smile

@Blocky: Yeah, the sides are a little plain, but I always envisioned it butted up to other buildings. Vines definitely would be a cool addition though. I will keep that in mind the next time I make a building! Smile
This looks great!

What did you use to make the glass windows?
(09-12-2016, 06:50 PM)fukifino Wrote: @pendrake: Always up for suggestions :)

Re: that foam on the lowest storey. 

Colors: excellent. Carving: looks good in the photo. But something is bugging you about it? I see one thing. The stones that have a dark grey tint and the stones that are lighter: look at the boundary lines between the two general color areas. It swirls. It smoothly flows across one brick to the next brick. 

It's telling me "applied with airbrush" -or- "applied with stipple sponge".

Don't get me wrong it looks gorgeous but if something is causing a does not look real reaction, I think that is it. Stones in a wall could easily have the two general colors you have used. (The paint color choices are ace!) it just needs many more places where the general boundary between the both colors fails to align with the adjacent stone. The masons would not take care to get the color variations to align like that as it crossed from one stone to another. 

Color Misalignment at joins between stones. 

@djmothra: The windows are a piece of plastic card with a section of window screen glued on. I bought a big roll years ago for pretty cheap (probably from Home Depot) for random hobby uses. Smile

@pendrake: You're probably right. I did pick out a bunch of individual stones, but I was using the various drybrushes to sort of bring them back in line with each other and that may have spoiled the illusion. Maybe I'll try going back with a few washes to bring some more clarity to some of the stones. Thanks for the suggestion. Smile
Even just highlighting some of the edges with a bolder colour will break up the illusion and make them look like individual stones.
The texture on the walls is NICE. Super nice. Honestly, I thought the whole thing looked like it was sort of a cast resin piece like a figurine or one of those holiday houses or something. From the front shot the door, hinges, wood strips, all of that they look like one solid object, not like individual things you created and attached together. It's kind of interesting. I'm not quite sure what's going on that makes my eyes see it that way but I do. The effect I think is that this house feels almost a little playful or like a comic book or graphic novel sprung to life.
Great work! It is nice to see some of the fine paint work beeing done with an airbrush. For the ground floor texture, the ripping of that kind of foam is a common issue. Using some food oil on your knife helps a great deal to reduce traction. And a sharp edge is good too off course. If it still gives you trouble, a few passes with a hair dryer or heat gun before you cut might help.