Speedy dungeon
Last week a friend emailed me and needed help with a non-terrain project. So I went over there and we hacked it up for awhile and in doing so I found out that his 9 or 10 year old daughter has discovered a game called "Dungeons & Dragons". Perhaps you've heard of it.

"Tob, will you play D&D with us?"

"Yes. Yes I will."

Long story short, I build dungeon. And I have to keep it cheap and do it fast; kid hasn't played yet and is getting a little antsy to do so. I can't spend any money, but I only have to impress a 9 year old; fair dos. I've been hanging on to some sheets of bead styrene and I figure now's the time to use 'em. Blasphemy, right? Yeah, but remember: Cheap and 9 year old cool. Rescued this styrene from the trash - in fact, ALL materials used for this dungeon except paint and a couple washers are RECYCLED. Green dungeon! So here it is so far. It's cheap, simple, and utilitarian; won't win any awards, but it will make a little girl's first D&D experience awesome.

Dungeon modules (3): From R to L, boss room, corridor with cells, corridor

[Image: DSCN3963.JPG]

Misc Doors: Two cell doors, main entrance

[Image: DSCN3965.JPG]

Photo for illustrative purposes only (does not reflect game play)

[Image: dun1.jpg]

I have since talked to my friend and have been told I have a little more time, so I will probably go in and dress it up some more. More torches, stuff on walls, and the usual dungeon detritus. I've probably only got 3 hours invested in this so far and I think I can afford to throw a little more time at it.
Are you going to add more rooms?

This. Is. The. Best. Ever.

I wouldn't stress at all about it being cheap or simple because I think it's adorable. I remember my first game of D&D when I was in 7th grade. Our teacher played with us (she called it D&D club to get it legitimized by the school when it was really just a kid and his friends who didn't have a place to play at-- we were all babies who had no cars to get to someone's basement-- so we got to stay after school on Thursdays and take home the after school activity bus.) The point is... Before that I had no idea what D&D was like and it was like... still to this day one of the fondest memories of my life when I played my first game and discovered how fun it was. We didn't have any visual supplements like you made but if we'd had them then I probably would have freaked out about that too. Even though our campaign was probably simple and superficial compared to future games I'd play as an adult, nothing will really replace that memory and I'm betting it'll be the same for your friend's kid. To get to play D&D for the first time and get to play with a rad little dungeon is super exciting. Maybe she'll graduate to complex stories and intricate terrain building in the future too, but no matter what I think the memory of this first set that you made will probably be so appreciated that it'll be perfect however it is.

But also I think your little gate things with the little bits of plant stuff are actually super cute. Even just kind of simple like that I think they still have a lot of value. Not everything has to be like OMG all the time to be fun. Sometimes, in my opinion, things being a little makeshift gives them a whole new kind of appeal.
To be fair - the whole point of the game is to use imagination - I see this terrain as a kind of sketch that my mind can then overwrite with greater amounts of detail. I really like it...
(09-16-2016, 01:36 AM)pendrake Wrote: Are you going to add more rooms?

Yes, no, maybe, sort of. I set aside an extra piece of foam for expansion if I need it. The modules already made will be used in a "treadmill" fashion, but if the campaign is successful and players want to keep going in this vein, I'll make another module to fit wherever the story goes. Possibly more. So far I am keeping this openly vague so as to maintain my options.

BlueMeander Wrote:Maybe she'll graduate to complex stories and intricate terrain building in the future too...

I am hoping so and suspect this will happen. The kid is mighty crafty, so I KNOW she'll be all over this, especially after I explain the relatively simple techniques. And as soon as she starts terraining, I'll post her work in our new category here.

BlueMeander Wrote:Sometimes, in my opinion, things being a little makeshift gives them a whole new kind of appeal.

I agree wholeheartedly and know exactly of what you speak. The further fueling of creativity.

Blocky Wrote:To be fair - the whole point of the game is to use imagination..

Most assuredly! I think this will fan the flames and the kid will be imprinted; another successful conversion to Terrain Life.