The best paint job I have ever seen
I stumbled across a figure on eBay that made my jaw drop:

[Image: v_7519_f1_p_dio.jpg]

The figure is from Dark Sword Miniatures, sculpted by Tom Meier, however the thing that blew my mind is the paint job by Marike Reimer (it's well worth Googling her to see some of her other work).

As you can see, Marike has managed to paint the cloth of the dress such that there is flesh showing through where the wet fabric is clinging... and as if that's not enough, she's even painted what appears to be an embroidered pattern onto the front/neckline and hem.

Here's a link to it at Dark Sword Miniatures where there pictures of it from other angles
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/woman-emerging-from-water.html
[+] 2 users Like AndySlater's post
One wants to travel to wherever she is and beat her about the head and shoulders for producing something so guaranteed to make one's own efforts look so pathetic
[img]http://lasercutcard.co.za/shop/image/lasercutcard_sigfile.jpg[/img]
It would be interesting to see this from a different angle.

I'm not sure how well the illusion would work from the side, for instance.
I feel like things would look out of whack.

It is very impressive from this angle, however.
There are views from other angles in the link I gave... and it does work... however it's clear that the mini was sculpted with this paint job in mind. Indeed, I'm sure I read somewhere that the sculpt came about as a result of a conversation with the painter.

Having said that, if you look at her other work you see elements of this clingy cloth paint job and she also uses the embroidery pattern technique to do tattoos.

@NealCrankshaw: yeah, or up your game. I'm thinking I might have a go at a tattoo.
(01-16-2015, 07:18 AM)NealCrankshaw Wrote: One wants to travel to wherever she is and beat her about the head and shoulders for producing something so guaranteed to make one's own efforts look so pathetic

I did once travel to a location where she was present, it was a ReaperCon event, several years back. (@Andy:  I have seen that mini before.) She is a lovely person, incredibly talented, and was cheerfully teaching a class or two.   Heart I was more inclined to worship in awe, if anything.

Darksword, Reaper, and others pay her to paint their minis for reasons.