Pedion modular terrain system
Greetings to all! I am George, a quite new member on this fine community, although an old gamer.
I wish to use this Topic to tell everyone interested about my effort in designing a modular terrain system, Pedion, up to mass production.
My first thoughts and requirements are better described on my blog, which I would love if you checked it out - and offer suggestions!
https://pedionterrain.blogspot.com

Hope to see you all around! happy modelling
[+] 1 user Likes DarthPanic's post
Hello George. Welcome to Terragenesis.

This seems like an interesting product you're developing.
The goal of mass production of tiles would seem to lend itself best to fairly generic tiles with other terrain placed on top.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with.
[+] 1 user Likes Caleb's post
Nice to be here Caleb!

First things first: for anyone interested, I posted a second blog entry on my first design decisions: size and shape of the terrain tiles.
http://pedionterrain.blogspot.gr/2015/01/journal-2-or-it-seems-that-in-modular.html
Please take a moment to share your thoughts and criticism, when and if you read it.

Regarding your comment Caleb, I am actually aiming somewhere in-between: Tiles that include basic terrain features, mainly natural ones, and preparation of specific tiles to receive extra features -mostly manmade, like buildings- on top. Stay tuned and I'll present it in subsequent posts.
My third blog post - on Materials and connectivity of Pedion™ Modular Terrain Tiles. I await your comments and ideas!

http://pedionterrain.blogspot.gr/2015/02/journal-3-or-choosing-materials-for.html
Interesting developments. I have to wonder though, how well the magnets will stay in place in the foam.

From my experience, eventually the magnets like sticking to each other more than they like sticking to foam.

I would likely have opted for a hardboard/mdf base, but as you mention, the weight becomes an issue.
[+] 1 user Likes Caleb's post
:huh:
Each terrain tile is 6x6 inches? 12x12? centimeters??
Each terrain tile is a square shape? And that is why there is eight magnets?

:-/
I see three problems with mass production involving magnets:
Expensive because that is a lot of magnets.
Royal pain getting the polarity correct every time/spoilage due to polarity errors.
Wasted time quality checking finished product for polarity.  

:)
There is an easy solution to this: Four magnets and four metal plates.
Magnets go on the right side of each corner.
Plates go on the left side of each corner.
Every magnet sticks to metal when assembled.
Polarity does not matter during manufacture.  
Magnet requirements cut in half.

[+] 3 users Like pendrake's post
(02-06-2015, 07:00 PM)Caleb Wrote: Interesting developments. I have to wonder though, how well the magnets will stay in place in the foam.

From my experience, eventually the magnets like sticking to each other more than they like sticking to foam.

I would likely have opted for a hardboard/mdf base, but as you mention, the weight becomes an issue.

I had the same fears, but I have been testing this for over a month now, and the magnets seem to stick Smile I use hot glue and the silicon keeps them in place.
(02-07-2015, 10:33 AM)pendrake Wrote: Huh
Each terrain tile is 6x6 inches? 12x12? centimeters??
Each terrain tile is a square shape? And that is why there is eight magnets?

Undecided
I see three problems with mass production involving magnets:
Expensive because that is a lot of magnets.
Royal pain getting the polarity correct every time/spoilage due to polarity errors.
Wasted time quality checking finished product for polarity.  

Smile
There is an easy solution to this: Four magnets and four metal plates.
Magnets go on the right side of each corner.
Plates go on the left side of each corner.
Every magnet sticks to metal when assembled.
Polarity does not matter during manufacture.  
Magnet requirements cut in half.

You will find my analysis of tile shape and size on the previous post - http://pedionterrain.blogspot.gr/2015/01/journal-2-or-it-seems-that-in-modular.html
To keep it short though, yes they are square, 30x30cm and 1cm thick

The problems you are mentioning are indeed very real, and I have come to the same solution - small steel plates on one corner. I used magnets on my prototype where polarity checking was not such big an issue. If things go smoothly and people are interested (read: multiple orders) I will inquire the cost of cutting small (1x1cm) steel plates. I do not think they will be that much cheaper than the magnets (only if I find some that are sold bulk and precut for another purpose...) but I does solve the issue of continuously worrying about polarity.
However, there is always the option that I will forego magnets if there are enough orders to justify the cost of cutting the plastic/aluminum in a jigsaw shape to enable connections.
You can buy sheets of 26 or 24 guage metal for like $20 (USD) here, they're like 4x3 ft sheets. I get 4x10 sheets at HVAC supply houses for 22.50 with my HVAC contractor's license. Just an idea if you do decide to use metal. Tin snips are like 6 bucks at a hardware store, and any custom sheet metal shop would probably give you small 6x6 inch pieces of scrap for free.

(My blue collar is showing a little bit here)
[+] 1 user Likes djdjthenon's post
(02-10-2015, 03:34 AM)djdjthenon Wrote: You can buy sheets of 26 or 24 guage metal for like $20 (USD) here, they're like 4x3 ft sheets. I get 4x10 sheets at HVAC supply houses for 22.50 with my HVAC contractor's license. Just an idea if you do decide to use metal. Tin snips are like 6 bucks at a hardware store, and any custom sheet metal shop would probably give you small 6x6 inch pieces of scrap for free.

(My blue collar is showing a little bit here)

thanks for the info! (although I do not live in the States Smile )
I do use metal (aluminum) for basing, and it comes much cheaper (and weights less) when bought and cut in bulk, I have no problem with that (it comes around $1 per 1x1' tile).
What we were talking about are small steel (not aluminum as they are not magnetic) pieces around a quarter of an inch wide to put on the corners - however I found a solution yesterday, while thinking of it: Pins (you call them thumbtacks?) which are steel, small, extremely cheap (around $1 per 80-100), in bulk, and I can pin them into the foam to help them stay in place Smile What do you think Pendrake?