Pedion modular terrain system
(02-10-2015, 06:55 AM)DarthPanic Wrote: ....however I found a solution yesterday, while thinking of it: Pins (you call them thumbtacks?) which are steel, small, extremely cheap (around $1 per 80-100), in bulk, and I can pin them into the foam to help them stay in place Smile What do you think Pendrake?
I like it.

I was gonna suggest steel washers. But thumbtacks should work as well or better. Either one will need to be secured with glue to prevent the magnet from pulling it away. The tack provides more glue-able surface. Most US sold thumbtacks are domed on top, did you find some flat ones?

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
(02-10-2015, 09:43 AM)pendrake Wrote:
(02-10-2015, 06:55 AM)DarthPanic Wrote: ....however I found a solution yesterday, while thinking of it: Pins (you call them thumbtacks?) which are steel, small, extremely cheap (around $1 per 80-100), in bulk, and I can pin them into the foam to help them stay in place Smile What do you think Pendrake?
I like it.

I was gonna suggest steel washers. But thumbtacks should work as well or better. Either one will need to be secured with glue to prevent the magnet from pulling it away. The tack provides more glue-able surface. Most US sold thumbtacks are domed on top, did you find some flat ones?

some old booksellers still sell the bronze-colored flat tops here... But I also experimented with another solution -will actually try it tonight: small (3mm) steel screws. They screw into the foam enhancing resistance to pulling (may not even require glue, will see) and they present a flat top. also they come about 0.01 euros each so cheaper than magnets.
I am using this method to make parts of the top of the Tiles magnetized, to add over them terrain pieces like trees, walls etc. More on blog posts where I will show the individual terrain tiles
[+] 1 user Likes DarthPanic's post
I started presenting each Pedion™ Tile category, so check out the Plain Grass and Broken Ground tiles. As always, I await your opinions, comments and feedback in general!

http://pedionterrain.blogspot.gr/2015/02/journal-4-or-time-to-show-them-grass.html

[Image: 20150216_180902.jpg]
[Image: 20150226_114555.jpg]

I'm proud to present my latest blog post, on the Forest tiles for my Pedion​ modular terrain system. I hope you like the way you can move the trees to allow unit movement and placement! I would welcome your comments and ideas

http://pedionterrain.blogspot.gr/2015/02/journal-5-or-into-dark-forest.html
[Image: P1130896.JPG]

New blog post, on Pedion Road tiles - and check the awesome video for their magnetized roadsides! Would welcome opinions, ideas and likes/shares

http://pedionterrain.blogspot.gr/2015/03/journal-6-or-road-goes-ever-on-and-on.html
The impressive Pedion Hill tiles, fully modular, in the new blog post.
http://pedionterrain.blogspot.gr/2015/04/journal-7-or-over-hills-and-far-away.html

[Image: hills1.jpg]
That looks quite nice. Are the bottle brush trees permanently attached? Or can they be placed anywhere?

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
(04-03-2015, 03:50 AM)pendrake Wrote: That looks quite nice. Are the bottle brush trees permanently attached? Or can they be placed anywhere?

Glad you like it! Anywhere, and they have magnetic bases so there are metal hardpoints all over the tiles so they can attach more securely 
(04-05-2015, 03:21 PM)DarthPanic Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 03:50 AM)pendrake Wrote: That looks quite nice. Are the bottle brush trees permanently attached? Or can they be placed anywhere?

Glad you like it! Anywhere, and they have magnetic bases so there are metal hardpoints all over the tiles so they can attach more securely 

Are the hard points invisibly buried? just under the surface?

[+] 2 users Like pendrake's post
(04-05-2015, 06:47 PM)pendrake Wrote:
(04-05-2015, 03:21 PM)DarthPanic Wrote:

Are the hard points invisibly buried? just under the surface?

Sorry Pandrake for taking so long, I had not seen the post!
Well, right now I have two solutions: either Magnetic primer (see my Roads blog post) where the "hardpoint" is actually invisible (as it is part of the pant), or Metal hardpoints. These have to be either placed under grass or be painted in a way that merge with the rest of the terrain. I have managed to "hide" them sufficiently, in fact I hace to search for them with a magnet myself to find them...