Simple rules for Small Scale Naval Warfare?
Howdy all.

I like boats (see profile picture).

I also like 2mm wargaming.

2mm scale is equal to 1:900 scale.

I would like to combine these interests by making 1:900 scale boats. I've found some very neat plans HERE. The fellow who designed these boats was nice enough to put one online for free downloading.

I think I'll try my hand at making the free one, and potentially buy the other designs. From what I understand, you buy the rights to download the artwork (fairly inexpensive), and may produce as many for your own pleasure as you'd like. Just no sharing of files.

Here are more pictures of the boats.

This brings me to my ultimate question.  Does anyone has some simple rules for naval wargaming?

Can be historic battles with huge fleets, single ship combat, I'm willing to try anything. Scale is not critical, as I can make required adjustments to speed, range, etc.
(01-24-2015, 01:33 AM)Caleb Wrote: I like boats!

Boats are good! You have received my suggestions by email, but now that I have this computer up again I thought
I'd post for the benefit of others, if any.

Pirates Of The ____
Don't Give Up The Ship
Fletcher Pratt

Those all have their ups and downs depending on what you're looking for. But like I suggested, this might be a case for
homebrewing exactly what you need.

[fistshakingrant] WIND! Use WIND RULES OR FACE MY WRATH!!!!1![/fistshakingrant]
I'm playing with already made ships for the napoleonic era in 1:1200. We used the Trafalgar rules which are quit good. They are not perfect, but include all major things regarding naval warfare of this time and the rulebook has lots of chrome!

I think there was a more simple free rulebook out there in the internet but I have to find the link to this...
This is a little 5x8" book with 4...

[Image: 41jh9LAiSRL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Battles-Miniature-Paul-Hague/dp/0850594146#

...Yes 4 sets of concise rules.

Ancients, Age-of-Sail, Ironclads, Great War (WW1)

Pendrake that book looks appealing. Concise is what I'm going for.

I think I will make a simple set of rules for sailing and ship battles. Something that a novice can pick up in one play session.

Once I see how well that's received, I can try more accurate games.
(01-25-2015, 02:09 PM)Caleb Wrote: Pendrake that book looks appealing. Concise is what I'm going for.

I think I will make a simple set of rules for sailing and ship battles. Something that a novice can pick up in one play session.

Once I see how well that's received, I can try more accurate games.

When is your time period for these soldiers? Post ECW? Before Bonaparte?

(01-25-2015, 02:09 PM)Caleb Wrote: Pendrake that book looks appealing. Concise is what I'm going for.

I think I will make a simple set of rules for sailing and ship battles...

Here is a review of the book with a bigger picture of the cover and some bonus scratch-built ships.
http://wishfulwargamer.blogspot.com/2011/08/ironclads-in-adriatic.html?m=1

Well, here's what I came up with this afternoon.

This is what I Wrote:Flip a coin to determine which player goes first. Deploy ships/terrain as required by scenario.

Wind starts at North as default.

Turn Phase

The player turns his/her ship(s) in the direction they would like to move. Ships may turn up to the angle marked on their base.

A coin is then flipped to determine wind change.

Heads = 1 position clockwise
Tails = 1 position counterclockwise

The guide is used to determine maximum distance ships may move along their course.
Multiply the number provided by their course by the long edge of their base.
Note that the shaded area of the guide represents pointing directly into the wind. A ship facing into the wind may not make any movement.

At the end of movement, shots may be fired at enemy ships.
Use the template to determine if the enemy is in range, as well as the to hit roll.

If a ship is hit, it loses a crew point for each successful hit.
Each crew point lost reduces the number of shots which can be fired by the ship each turn by one.

Optional rule: Any ship with under half of it’s initial crew points must use the short size of their base for determining range.

I've attached the templates. Ideally the points of sail template will be printed on a clear medium, and overlayed over the compass, with a pivot in the center. The ship bases would be 1" wide, but size is irrelevant.

[Image: Naval%20Game%20Templates.jpg]

I think I'll use 4 crew points for ships of this size and see how that goes. I think this will work out okay for some quick and fun ship duels with a decent emphasis on course selection.

I will likely make smaller ships (by scaling down base size and firing template). I think a smaller ship should be weaker, with a shorter effective weapon range, so that would work out pretty well.

Another possibility I considered for when I have different ship sizes would be to have players make their own fleets up to a maximum crew point total. So one fleet could be 3 decently sized ships at 4 points, whereas another fleet could be 6 smaller, weaker ships at 2 crew points each.
I think shooting should be at any point during movement.

Do you need to define how a ship will be based? I assume it is based on the plans you found??

I kinda think ranges should not be less for little ships. Range depended on other factors.

Carronades: very short range
Bombards: short range
Cannon: long range ("three mile limit" right)
Mortars: very long range; very inaccurate.

It's maybe not "simple," but if you want Age of Sail naval combat, I highly, highly recommend "Sails of Glory." The rules actually scale well from pretty simple to extremely complex (changing wind conditions, lag between command and execution of trim to sails, different ammunition types, etc). The biggest issue is going to be getting the "maneuver decks" for the various ships in question (as Sails of Glory does a really nice job of subtly reflecting the real differences in speed and maneuverability of the various ship types). But it's an absolute blast to play.