Simple rules for Small Scale Naval Warfare?
So total after work I chopped up some sheet acrylic, and 1/8" plywood.

[Image: IMG_20150220_181823_795.jpg]

I then took a felt tipped permanent marker and coloured in the lines.

[Image: IMG_20150220_182943_740.jpg]

You can see I didn't perfectly stay within the lines completely, but the pen rubs off the smooth surface of the acrylic easily with a cloth.

After putting the pieces together and adding a little brass I got this.

[Image: IMG_20150220_203148_126.jpg]

I also cut out some half inch discs of acrylic, in red and green. I'll use these to keep track of hull points/cannon points on each side. When one side takes damage, it will lose those tokens. If it if fired on a side that has lost all it's tokens, I'll take tokens from the other side, reducing the amount of cannons the other side can fire.

It's not a really realistic representation of hull damage (if one side was destroyed, a hull would not float) but does a decent job I think. Perhaps it represents the crew going away from cannons and trying to mend the damage.

Now I just need to make the ships. Turns out I don't much like making paper ships. I'll devise something from wood using the laser.
[+] 1 user Likes Caleb's post
1. Awesome. Where do I send my $CAD?

2. I was tipped off to a product called "Rub n' Buff" by a lady who runs an award/trophy shop for coloring engraved lines in acrylic. Rub it in, wipe the surface, let dry. Available at Dick Blick et al, comes in many colors including metallics.

3. Can you use the paper boat template as a pattern? I'd be interested in these myself ever since my own bandsaw attempts at small boats resulted in being cartoony.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
1. Hold off until I get all the bits cut out. I can probably mail you a complete game.

2. I've tried it, not as easy to control for the fine lines as a felt pen.

3. I'm basing them off the paper ships. The main problem is that I can't get the same detail on the edges (sides of hull) as I could with the paper. I may opt for a mix; wooden decks with paper siding.
(02-21-2015, 01:36 PM)Caleb Wrote: I may opt for a mix; wooden decks with paper siding.

I like that idea too. I am in for at least one complete game.
Enjoyed the sailing debate...lol Liking the sound of this game. Even as 40k addict Cool
[+] 1 user Likes TAC's post
I have skimmed through this thread, but may have to sit down and have a proper look at some point. Tongue

Battles raging in locations as exotic as the canals of venice, caribbean sea or even the sump of the underhive. Big Grin
So yesterday I cut some bits of alder up in an attempt to create fast and easy boat hulls.
I was going to work on them, but ended up spending the rest of the day in the ER with the better half. (Her knee exploded)

Hopefully I'll be able to get some work done on them tonight and take some pictures.
[+] 1 user Likes Caleb's post
(02-28-2015, 04:26 PM)Caleb Wrote: Hopefully I'll be able to get some work done on them tonight and take some pictures.

Looking forward to this.

As a Questionable Knee guy (level 8), I had a sharp sudden intake of breath reading "Her knee exploded". Rarely fun, if ever.

-=-=-=-=-

"Battles raging in locations as exotic as the canals of Venice"; stop right there! This is a game in itself! Not sure how well one can arm a gondola, but I love the idea of flying down canals at 40 knots in a Zodiac. Call it 'Venice RIBs'.
[Image: IMG_20150227_165455_904.jpg~320x480]

[Image: IMG_20150228_210618_344.jpg~320x480]

[Image: IMG_20150228_211012_195.jpg~320x480]

Using my phone for this post. We'll see if it works...
[+] 3 users Like Caleb's post
Yes. This I am liking very much.