Grassy terrain mat
Hi, long time reader of both old and new forums but never had the guts to register, until now.
Made terrain mats for a couple of years but I have always known I could do better, the process could be improved further.
This mat is my third, the first was a trial and error attempt based solely on the caulking technique, the second a mixture of caulking and a mixture of sand but lacking flock.

[Image: 9bchfn.png]

This one had it all, caulk texture, fine grit, bigger grains of sand, fine flock, static grass and a few clump foliage.

First I applied a thin layer of caulk, let it dry a bit and applied a bit more before texturing. Waited a day for this to cure a bit.
Then I glued down different grades of sand with PVA across a large part of the canvas fabric, waiting for this to dry before sealing it with watered down PVA. I painted over the entire mat with a nice brown hazelnut color and drybrushed a few highlights (mostly bone).
When the paint was dry (I waited for at least 12 hours) I glued different sorts of flock down and yet again sealing it after 24 hours with more watered down PVA.
Really durable but a bit tougher to roll up than most neoprene or PVC based mats but I''m happy with it.
Holy crap, you can roll it up?? How exciting. I've never heard of such a thing. That's awesome : D
(01-13-2017, 12:39 AM)BlueMeander Wrote: Holy crap, you can roll it up?? How exciting. I've never heard of such a thing. That's awesome : D

Off course, it's supposed to behöver portable and although stiff still rollable. I use a wide cardboard tube I get for free in a fabrics store.
 Softer foam based tubes are probably easier in the mat bit then again, I think it is durable enough.