Jungle Table project
Hi everyone!
I'm back and I want to go through a quite ambitious project!
I will use this post as a summary for the project.

[Image: IClExN2jkBi7k2VGPC_8zrNHbqAsKe-O-X8bxb2c...00-h394-no]

Specifications:

Table tiles:
* 6 x 24" Squared
* Quite flat for storage purpose
* Neutral tones

Vegetation:
* Should be dense
* High species richness (lot of different species), might be alien/fantastic
* Keep storage in mind

Other:
* Rocky formations protruding from the greens
* A few man-made emplacements

General:
* Favour DIY and cheapness
* Jump on the opportunity to recycle old-and-ugly terrain pieces

References:
Here is a list of interesting techniques I plan to try or adapt: (some of them already used)

Achievements:

Here is what I already have:
* A bunch of GW jungle tree bases (Not dense enough)
* A set of rocky pieces
* Some alien mushroom-trees
* Some ugly palm trees to recycle (partially done)
* A fortified watch emplacement
I finally uploaded a picture of my alien mushroom-trees.
[Image: VDT1bp52SBQBP2cv9m2RowIUM1aNnE-Y3GBqCTK_...00-h900-no]

I made them with some pine cones. I trimmed the top scales before gluing them to the trunks.
The scales on the trunks are simply made of pieces of cardboard.
Putting the cones upside down made them a bit less obvious and helps to see the whole "tree" instead.
I chose the colours in order to remind the colouration of the most famous mushroom: the fly amanita.

I also add pictures of the rocky formations I already have. A lot less original.
I tried to ensured that each kind of plant was present on at least two of the terrain pieces to add some unity to the set.
[Image: Aj7uw2vMpsy00E3qg5kLXAOkiSO6Uj2ggFynKLYI...00-h900-no]
[Image: JuxV0Y3UE0NOZGItulYX914Xpyh-uaK1YCCNOCOU...00-h900-no]

Any feedback appreciated, of course.
Welcome to the Jungle!

I myself have been stuck here for some time. I had never seen that twist tie plant before. So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Is this going to be used for a specific game?
I do like the use of pine cones for your mushroom trees, might need to 'borrow' that idea
(01-11-2017, 11:31 AM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: Welcome to the Jungle!

I myself have been stuck here for some time. I had never seen that twist tie plant before. So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Is this going to be used for a specific game?
Representing flora is a real challenge isn't it? I'm trying to gather as many techniques as I can and possibly invent some new ones. One goal of this project is also to regroup the knowledge in a single place for future generations Tongue

I have started a few things with twist tie, and I think they are going to be great! I'll post the photos of course.
It's intended for Wh40k games. My friends and I are giving a try to the custom Kill Team rules (from The Heralds of Ruin), and we need denser terrain. It's a perfect opportunity for me to start scrap-building again.

(01-11-2017, 12:31 PM)Necron_UK Wrote: I do like the use of pine cones for your mushroom trees, might need to 'borrow' that idea
Please do so! And post the pictures if you can, I'd love to see what other can do with my idea.
You might want to try some variations as well. If you look closely to the background of the picture, you'll see a previous version with green "foliage". Made it before having the idea of a sporocarp.
Finished to rejuvenate my old fortified platform. The "treatment" consisted in:
+ Rebased from plain static grass to rocks and mud
+ New paint job
+ (mostly) handmade plants

[Image: hQfQn0XBVn-XZJ6g9q2_Q3SMvkf2RXmFh00tDTt7...00-h900-no]
As you can see, I put my hands on a full roll of twist-tie wire, and I tried to turn it into leaves.
[Image: doJpPOlUHLiED1hu0ngvwoaEpcQDVI789tdjdglB...00-h900-no]

I painted vivid danger stripes to give it a classic Wh40k 2nd ed touch.
[+] 1 user Likes Mangouste's post
I really like those pinecone trees. Sometimes being able to recognize what the original materials were takes some of the magic away, but this looks great -- both with the red and the green. Smile

Plus, who doesn't love caution stripes! Wink
I still plan to work on this project from time to time.
I've been wanting to give a proper try to the twisted wire technique for a long time now. There are in my opinion two big drawbacks to this approach:
* Needs great foliage. Important because twisted wire give a realistic results that needs a good match for leaves.
* Usually stands quite tall. It's a problem for storage that I want to avoid now that I have more and more terrain pieces.

I found a way to damper the two inconveniences above: Making be a fallen tree.
It requires no foliage and lays lower on the ground, plus there can be no true jungle without at least one uprooted tree Big Grin.

Now here is a WIP:
[Image: ctliWAny6gjNLgwUyqppOdb_ZpAzcjDdzhXxKOhm...44-h743-no]
[Image: F8zaJSCUb_c5cRkpo5r9qfmqrpG283z6WsR9YU11...90-h743-no]

On a separate note, I am always looking for cool new ways to represent plants.
I want to try if half immature pine cones will do. Here is what I have in mind:
[Image: eg5BJuX5Bm3vXBae5GmpH5cmnDZ7jjFGUIK2Tlrp...04-h730-no]
I will wait for a couple of extra day (at least) to let them dry a bit more. Also I am a bit concerned about resin for handling and painting.
I guess I will brush them with oil before washing them with soap.
Has anyone been working with fresh(ish) resinous material before?
Any piece of advice appreciated (as always).